More Firestone Wisdom

Guest ewolf

Guest ewolf

Almost forgot - the same Firestone techs who told me the Pathfinder had leaf springs in the back, also said they couldn't align the front of my truck. There is a bar connecting the tie-rods that they called the Centerlink. They claim there is too much play in the ends of the Centerlink and want $240 to replace it. Does this sound right?

BTW, my Firestone is selling a lifetime alignment for $99. And they'll do 4WD. Sounds like an invitation for abuse...

-Eric

Sounds like crap to me but it could be true, I dunno. Someone who knows more of what they're talking about could probably answer your question. :) The centerlink does connect the tie rods, but I don't see how there could be "too much play in the ends to align it"... Beats me.

Guest ewolf

They looked at it with me up on the lift. At first they thought it was a bearing but on closer inspection, the play is all in the joint between the centerlink and the right tierod end. The Firestone guy said that the joint is worn on the cernterlink and the bushings come with it (evidently the tierod end is fine).

As far as aligning goes, the wheel has about 1 inch of play - bad enough to make me want to fix it so I don't ruin my new tires. The truck itself rides straight.

Well, if he's not gonna use it offroad, then a stock replacement will do just fine. Yes, the stock centerlinks wear out exactly as you described. They're probably right about that one. It's a common weak point in the Pathfinder steering system.

I need this done this week. I don't think I can get one from L&P that fast.

Uhhh, why? Buy the $99 lifetime alignment, tell their lame firestone asses to get under there and align it as best they can, then when the l&p centerlink comes in, install it and take it back to be re-aligned...

Uhhh, why? Buy the $99 lifetime alignment, tell their lame firestone asses to get under there and align it as best they can, then when the l&p centerlink comes in, install it and take it back to be re-aligned...

Actually, yeah. Mine was done at Firestone through the body shop after it was wrecked. Since I didn't directly pay for it, I didn't get the lifetime deal. But the guy told me flat out that people will buy the lifetime deal and get alignments done at every oil change, after each offroad trip, etc. They don't seem to care. I imagine the vast majority of people do it once and don't come back, so they've already made their money for people like us. :D