A sad day for the Pathfinder

zonianbrat

I picked up a copy of Petersons 4X4 today and it had the 2008 4x4 of the year article (main reason I picked up the mag). I am going to make this short. The Pathfinder did not fair well at all. Except for on high speed desert tracks where it was considered reputable. They actually considered the Pathy to be on the bottom of the pack when it came to hill/rockcrawling. They consider the traction control system to be annoying, dangerous and horrible and the proof is there in the article. It shows a pic of the tires and they are shredded. Ok I'll stop now but lastly they say that the pathfinder has lost the path and found the pavement as a grocery getter. Sad Sad Sad. I hope that someone from Nissan takes this article to heart and remembers what the heritage of the Pathfinder is brings it back.

I apologize for this post being so negative, but I am a proud pathfinder owner and it saddens me to read this so I thought I would share it.

On a side note back in 1987 the Pathfinder (two door) won the 4x4 of the year. It did it again in 1990 (four door) it is time to bring that honor back.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, Nissan made the X their offroader. the new pathfinders are independent suspention all the way around so the results are totaly understandable.

I agree. Those who want the Pathy of old, look at the X now. I will when it comes time to replace mine.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything good said about it, 05+ ones are more useless than a H2 offroad.

Best offroader Nissan makes in the 05+ lineup in my opinion is the Frontier. As with the previous model Xterra they made "improvements" and it's still a failure. It's still suffers all the downfalls of the older ones (too tall, bad weight distribution, leaf rear....), only real improvement is the available factory locker. You can get everything for the Xterra on a Frontier and have a much more stable vehicle with it. :aok:

Yeah, sadly the newest pathy's dont do it for me... I have a while before I have to worry, but I'll likely be looking for a 2004 pathy if I have to replace mine (simply b/c I can still use all the mods I have now), or a Fronty, or an X.

You all make good points, GG is right though the X is too tall and awkward and I personally dont like the styling. Pathfinder was Nissan's off-road baby, and I think it should stay that way. Obviously Nissan kinda has that intention or it would not even bother with the Best new 4X4 competition. Figures we finally get a V-8 and the off-road capability goes down the shi!!er. Maybe they should re-brand the Pathfinder as the Mallfinder then.

Read that article.

The pathfinder would probably not be Nissans 1st choice for that test. But only new or revised models could compete.

Not sure but the Xterra has probably not changed much if at all in the last few years.

Nissan should at least offer an off-road package.

Speaking of magazine articles.......

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehic...cles/index.html

Check out this great looking Pathy in this cheap junk :rolleyes: hunter article.

Anyones here?

Edited by jitterymonkey

The Pathfinder was never a true off road car in the first place. From it's conception in the mid 80's, it was a soft roader. The only off roading it was designed for was a supermarket car park. It has never been up to the task of a 4x4 unless serious mods were employed. Anyone that thinks it is, or ever was, a serious 4x4 is kidding themselves. Granted they were over engineered (but for the steering).... That's why they make good project cars. As for the newer Pathfinders... They are the evolution of the WD21's and just got softer, that's all. On a positive note though, at least they have a ladder chassis again. Unlike the R50 that you can't really do anything with, if you want to spend the money on the new Pathy, you can make them an off road monster. Live axles front and rear isn't a pipe dream with these.

Nissan should at least offer an off-road package.

As for offering an off road package, they do offer one. A Patrol.

I went to the dealer to get some prices on parts and a salesman said to me, your driving one of those old pathfinders? I said yeah, the ones with a real frame and real axle in the back, not like the mall crawler piece of sh!t we're standing next to. Even they admitted it had lost its way and that if you can find an 87-95 in good shape, keep it for as long as you can.

the Mallfinder then.

pathblocker. :(

as to offroad packages.. the X and the Titan both come with rear lockers as the main part of this package. they still make a 2wd X though... wtf???

and v6, i always thought that you really couldn't do much with and r50 but that's not the case.. have you seen Pezzy's or MichiganAve's? those are pretty cool, no?

also, the new pathfinder is not the development of the wd platform.. that is the X.. the new pathy's are the R plantform as in R51. the newest X is wd23, i think. i know their first gen was wd22. it's virtually the same as wd21 but everything is bigger.

and v6, i always thought that you really couldn't do much with and r50 but that's not the case.. have you seen Pezzy's or MichiganAve's? those are pretty cool, no?

I didn't mean you couldn't do anything, what I meant to say was that you can't do enough with an R50. The monocoque construction of the R50 is one hell of a setback for anyone wanting to get serious, they're for road cars and road cars only.

To go off road, at least here in Oz, you need at least 33 inch tyres or you'll get hung up on your diff all of the time. Mind you, nowadays, 33's are considered small. Can you get 33's or larger under the R50?

Articulation too is a major part to off roading. Articulation helps keep the car stable on the trail and is something IFS can never offer anyone. The thought of the old IFS in my Pathy with it rocking/pivoting back and forth between opposing front and rear wheels still scares me. Can you put a live axle up front of an R50?

The R50, IMO, is a soft roader for life. At least with the WD21 and the models that followed the R50 you can still turn the soft roader (And that's what ALL Pathfinder are) into an off roader if you want to.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

I have to admit, every time I see those new 2005-6 etc pathfinders, they don't do it for me..I lose my libido for an hour or so after seeing one.

Aint really a car expert, but just looking at one, the shape, dynamics, etc doesn't look offroadish or rugged. If anything, they look like 'bling' mobiles. People around here have some with big chrome rims and thin arse tires. Looks like a big butt caboose... like that guy said, a grocery getter.

Wow, I'm really proud of my 90pathfinder. Only complain is the gas mileage, and my lack of car knowledge, but those things will be fixed soon.

also, the new pathfinder is not the development of the wd platform.. that is the X.. the new pathy's are the R plantform as in R51. the newest X is wd23, i think. i know their first gen was wd22. it's virtually the same as wd21 but everything is bigger.

So a stock first gen X should drive somewhat similiar to a stock first gen pathy except bulkier?

I didn't mean you couldn't do anything, what I meant to say was that you can't do enough with an R50. The monocoque construction and strut/coil IFS front suspension of the R50 is one hell of a setback for anyone wanting to get serious, they're for road cars and road cars only.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

The Pathfinder was never a true off road car in the first place. From it's conception in the mid 80's, it was a soft roader. The only off roading it was designed for was a supermarket car park. It has never been up to the task of a 4x4 unless serious mods were employed. Anyone that thinks it is, or ever was, a serious 4x4 is kidding themselves. Granted they were over engineered (but for the steering).... That's why they make good project cars. As for the newer Pathfinders... They are the evolution of the WD21's and just got softer, that's all. On a positive note though, at least they have a ladder chassis again. Unlike the R50 that you can't really do anything with, if you want to spend the money on the new Pathy, you can make them an off road monster. Live axles front and rear isn't a pipe dream with these.

As for offering an off road package, they do offer one. A Patrol.

Maybe it was a "soft roader" but it still won best new 4x4 in the years of 1987 and 1990. Since then they have fallen off the pace. I think it would be a good idea to re-vamp the pathfinder name to a contender for 4x4 of the year. I mean if you think about it what does Nissan have that most those other 4x4's dont? Reliabilty. Just my thoughts though. I am not trying to take anything away from the X. They are definetely the direction Nissan is going with their 4X4's. I have seen some truly awesome looking X's on Roninwheelers and that is cool and all I just dont like how tall and weirdly shaped they are.

I didn't mean you couldn't do anything, what I meant to say was that you can't do enough with an R50... ... they're for road cars and road cars only.

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH!!

That is all. You're all a bunch of poo heads. You hurt my heart, and I refuse to call you friends anymore until you come wheeling with me. I'll bring the potato chips and pop! Oh!! And maybe a soccer ball we can kick around after lunch!!! Asshats.

*takes her R50 to the mall to buy V6 a hat*

I didn't mean you couldn't do anything, what I meant to say was that you can't do enough with an R50. The monocoque construction of the R50 is one hell of a setback for anyone wanting to get serious, they're for road cars and road cars only.

You forget that driver skill has as much to do with off road capability as any modifications done to any vehicle. Tough to say an R50 can't do this, or can't do that. I've seen Jeeps on 33" tires + that can't do what Pezzy does in her R50.

To go off road, at least here in Oz, you need at least 33 inch tyres or you'll get hung up on your diff all of the time. Mind you, nowadays, 33's are considered small. Can you get 33's or larger under the R50?

Again, driver skill. Picking the right line through a trail is key. If you point your tires over the rocks, you don't hang up diffs.

OK, OK, OK,

So I have been reading all of the negative talk about the 05 and up Pathfinders, and well I am disappointed. I have a '05 Pathfinder SE 4x4 and it is a great vehicle. The 4.0 V6 has amazing power, great fuel economy for a SUV, I absolutely love the looks, and it performs excellent in the snow and ice. That is what it is used for primarily, to and from work in the snow, sleet, hail, bumper to bumper traffic, 105 plus heat, and everything in between.

If any of you have actually read the Peterson's article it is not nearly as bad as everyone here is making it sound. When the 05 first came out, it ranked 3rd out of 7 SUV's/ Trucks in the same 4x4 of the year competition in 2005. Same vehicle just different engine... against the following: Dodge Dakota, Toyota Tacoma, Land Rover LR3, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Jeep Liberty Diesel, and the Grand Cherokee. That was some pretty stout competition. I was very impressed and immediately went out and bought mine.

This years competition is even better, a H2 with the new 6.2 V8 and 6spd tranny, the H3 with the new 5.3 V8, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, All new Toyota Land Cruiser with the Tundras AWESOME 5.7, and the Jeep Liberty. IMO the Pathfinder held its own in a competition that was full of excellent off road vehicles.

Here is what the Pathfinder was praised on "Explosive power train, fun to drive on fire roads, a great family tow vehicle",

The acceleration times were the fastest times ever posted, the Pathfinder with its 310hp posted an explosive sub seven second 0-60 run of 6.75 sec, posting the fastest 0-60 time in the competitions history, over 4.6 seconds faster than the slowest competitor. The quarter mile time was also the fastest at 15.7 at 89 mph almost 3 seconds faster than the slowest competitor.

Where the Pathfinder does shine is on fast graded roads, where the V8 can really be opened up! On the sand dunes there was plenty of power available, it was the road biased package that limited the fun in the Pathfinder and hence, hindered this years run at the crown.

Just to recap, the FASTEST entry ever tested, great fit and finish, great sound quality from the factory system, good fuel economy, and second least expensive in the test. The universal complaint was "Where is the Off-road Package?" "I can only imagine how much better the Pathfinder would be with a rear locker". The V8 does not allow the Off Road package, only the V6 is available with the Off Road Package that adds Bilstein shocks, 32" BFG Rugged Trail T/A's, Hill Decent Control, Hill Start Assist, and numerous skid plates. This years entry was a SE V8, with 18" street tires.

This is what I ask of all of you, how would your Pathfinder sitting in your garage or driveway perform against any of these vehicles?

1987-1995 Pathfinders with a 153 hp V6, no airbags, no ABS, and largest avail tire a 31x10.50 ??? (by the way I own one of these as well)

1996-2000 Pathfinders with a 3.3 ltr 168 hp, a new, longer-wheelbase unibody chassis replaced the old body-on-frame design... ie car frame.

2001-2004 Pathfinders with a upgraded 3.5 V6 boasting 250 HP, but rack-and-pinion steering, McPherson struts in the front suspension and solid axle supported by coil springs in the back give the Pathfinder rather car-like ride, although this design may not be strong enough for heavy off-roading.

How would one of yours do... stock?

Not feeling so confident are you?

By the way, I love all Pathfinders! I am just sticking up for mine :itsallgood:

HPIM0331.jpg

OK, OK, OK,

So I have been reading all of the negative talk about the 05 and up Pathfinders, and well I am disappointed. I have a '05 Pathfinder SE 4x4 and it is a great vehicle. The 4.0 V6 has amazing power, great fuel economy for a SUV, I absolutely love the looks, and it performs excellent in the snow and ice. That is what it is used for primarily, to and from work in the snow, sleet, hail, bumper to bumper traffic, 105 plus heat, and everything in between.

If any of you have actually read the Peterson's article it is not nearly as bad as everyone here is making it sound. When the 05 first came out, it ranked 3rd out of 7 SUV's/ Trucks in the same 4x4 of the year competition in 2005. Same vehicle just different engine... against the following: Dodge Dakota, Toyota Tacoma, Land Rover LR3, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Jeep Liberty Diesel, and the Grand Cherokee. That was some pretty stout competition. I was very impressed and immediately went out and bought mine.

This years competition is even better, a H2 with the new 6.2 V8 and 6spd tranny, the H3 with the new 5.3 V8, Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, All new Toyota Land Cruiser with the Tundras AWESOME 5.7, and the Jeep Liberty. IMO the Pathfinder held its own in a competition that was full of excellent off road vehicles.

Here is what the Pathfinder was praised on "Explosive power train, fun to drive on fire roads, a great family tow vehicle",

The acceleration times were the fastest times ever posted, the Pathfinder with its 310hp posted an explosive sub seven second 0-60 run of 6.75 sec, posting the fastest 0-60 time in the competitions history, over 4.6 seconds faster than the slowest competitor. The quarter mile time was also the fastest at 15.7 at 89 mph almost 3 seconds faster than the slowest competitor.

Where the Pathfinder does shine is on fast graded roads, where the V8 can really be opened up! On the sand dunes there was plenty of power available, it was the road biased package that limited the fun in the Pathfinder and hence, hindered this years run at the crown.

Just to recap, the FASTEST entry ever tested, great fit and finish, great sound quality from the factory system, good fuel economy, and second least expensive in the test. The universal complaint was "Where is the Off-road Package?" "I can only imagine how much better the Pathfinder would be with a rear locker". The V8 does not allow the Off Road package, only the V6 is available with the Off Road Package that adds Bilstein shocks, 32" BFG Rugged Trail T/A's, Hill Decent Control, Hill Start Assist, and numerous skid plates. This years entry was a SE V8, with 18" street tires.

This is what I ask of all of you, how would your Pathfinder sitting in your garage or driveway perform against any of these vehicles?

1987-1995 Pathfinders with a 153 hp V6, no airbags, no ABS, and largest avail tire a 31x10.50 ??? (by the way I own one of these as well)

1996-2000 Pathfinders with a 3.3 ltr 168 hp, a new, longer-wheelbase unibody chassis replaced the old body-on-frame design... ie car frame.

2001-2004 Pathfinders with a upgraded 3.5 V6 boasting 250 HP, but rack-and-pinion steering, McPherson struts in the front suspension and solid axle supported by coil springs in the back give the Pathfinder rather car-like ride, although this design may not be strong enough for heavy off-roading.

How would one of yours do... stock?

Not feeling so confident are you?

By the way, I love all Pathfinders! I am just sticking up for mine :itsallgood:

HPIM0331.jpg

Holy cow. Excellent write up, and good sticking up for your rig. However, the biggest argument you seem to be making is over power, over yours in the VQ40 (what is it at the crank...270?) and the competition. Who cares? A 60 h.p. Samurai is easily as capable as a 270 VQ40 powered Pathy, or almost 300 h.p. 5.3 V8 powered H3.

This debate is not over ergonomics, fuel economy (God knows, if you drive a Nissan 4x4 there is NO such word as "respectable" with regards to fuel economy), etc., it's over capability.

Each and every person who owns a different gen. Pathy will b!tch and moan over the fact that THEIR'S is the almighty (usually a WD owners argument) the R50 sucks and belongs on-road (again, usually from a WD owner) and the R51's a blinged-out joke.

Unless you're running Moab (Dean (R50) Alex (R50) :D ) you're run of the mill off road adventures are easily conquered in ANY chassis. It's like a chia-pet...dump money into it and watch it's possibilities grow. Articulation, banging your diffs., blah blah blah...it's all about the driver (Simon) Hell, I bet one could wheel a CRV provided it had AT's mounted and skids welded on:D

Simons right, its all about the driver. My friend took his 97 plymouth breeze (a front wheel drive CAR) through some sh!t that I wouldn't take my pathy through. And we somehow made it out.....

My friend took his 97 plymouth breeze (a front wheel drive CAR) through some sh!t that I wouldn't take my pathy through. And we somehow made it out.....

I'm not sure if that's drivers' skill or just plain luck :lol:

Simons right, its all about the driver. My friend took his 97 plymouth breeze (a front wheel drive CAR) through some sh!t that I wouldn't take my pathy through. And we somehow made it out.....

Now that's really what constitutes a sad day for a Pathfinder. :nono:

You forget that driver skill has as much to do with off road capability as any modifications done to any vehicle. Tough to say an R50 can't do this, or can't do that. I've seen Jeeps on 33" tires + that can't do what Pezzy does in her R50.

Again, driver skill. Picking the right line through a trail is key. If you point your tires over the rocks, you don't hang up diffs.

Never forget, a driver is only as good as the car he or she is in. I have been on many a trail that doesn't have a "right line". I think we can agree that a nascar can't win a F1 race, can't we? I know that this is an extreme example but I think it makes the point.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy