HG46 regear

csutke

Ive tried to search but cant find my answer. Im looking to see how much a regear would cost but the starting step is to find the gears. My questions are:

Is it easier to take the whole axle or just the 3rd?

Where is a good place to find these gears?

and finally, what exact models came with these gears eg. 98 SE etc... The reason that I would like to know the exact models that had these gears is that I'll prob be getting them from a Junk Yard and it will make it a lot easier if i can call them and see if they have the model instead of driving all around the state looking.

Thanks

The axle code is stamped on a metal plate in the engine bay, hopefully someone here will know which models have which axles.

I would go to a junkyard. I'm sure you could do the whole regear for under a grand.

Wow...did you know that every 4wd LE came with an LSD? I didn't.

537066661_Screenshot_4.png

What dose it mean by narrow and wide? I have a fully equipped XE with everything but the rear gate style tire carrier according to a 97 factory broshure. Dose that mean that a LSD Equipped XE pathy like mine with the flairs (wide) (Maybee) have 4.6 gears? I know at 70 MPH I pull about 26-2700 RPM with 31-10.50-15's. Just curious about what gears are in my 97 XE 4x4 pathy!

The friction modifier makes it slip more easily so you don't get shudder around corners or premature lockup. Some people simply don't add any modifier cause they want it to lock more easily. FYI, the LSD's in the R50's are about 50% weaker than the LSD's in the 87-95's. They just don't build 'em like they used to...

found this reply to another persons question on nissanhelp...so what makes it so much weaker?

Also, i have a question about how this all works, what makes the rear diff lock? any time it detects slippage? I know when i was in the mud in 2wd i got both wheels spinning (left some nice tracks :crossedwires: ), but when i did a burnout while pushing the breaks i only had one skid mark from the right tire... also the left rear tire is brand spankin new and the right rear needs replacing this summer if that makes a difference

found this reply to another persons question on nissanhelp...so what makes it so much weaker?

Also, i have a question about how this all works, what makes the rear diff lock? any time it detects slippage? I know when i was in the mud in 2wd i got both wheels spinning (left some nice tracks :crossedwires: ), but when i did a burnout while pushing the breaks i only had one skid mark from the right tire... also the left rear tire is brand spankin new and the right rear needs replacing this summer if that makes a difference

There is no "lockup". It's just a bunch of clutch plates that kinda grab to make both wheels turn. The WD21 LSD is simply tighter, with about 230lbs of break force on the LSD. The R50 is only about 130lbs.

It was probably loosened up to make it a little more driveable in 2wd in the winter, as it's really easy to break the rear end loose on the WD21 in winter when turning.

What dose it mean by narrow and wide? I have a fully equipped XE with everything but the rear gate style tire carrier according to a 97 factory broshure. Dose that mean that a LSD Equipped XE pathy like mine with the flairs (wide) (Maybee) have 4.6 gears? I know at 70 MPH I pull about 26-2700 RPM with 31-10.50-15's. Just curious about what gears are in my 97 XE 4x4 pathy!

Check the build plate under your hood. Under Axle Code you should have a HG43 or a HG46. HG43 is 4.3's, HG46 is 4.6's...

Unless R50's don't have one, I haven't actually checked any out.

• 2 weeks later...
Check the build plate under your hood. Under Axle Code you should have a HG43 or a HG46. HG43 is 4.3's, HG46 is 4.6's...

my 01 LE has the HG43. what would be the benefit of either? would the HG46 have better fuel mileage or what is the real difference between them? is it even possible to switch over to the HG46 from my HG43?

yes its possible to switch but you have to be careful in doing so as our front end is a high pinion and will only come from a matched year R50, but the rear end you can take from any thing that has the same spline count and the 4.6 ratio. the reason im looking in to the switch is for better MPG. The reason for this is when you add bigger tires it changes the drive ratio on the wheels and the engine has to work harder to push the extra meat. when you reager, it put the ratio's closer to stock and allows the engine to work easier to turn the same mass.

What do you mean about the matched R50 part? So I am trying to get the front diff off of Max from a 97-98 this would not fit my 02? I thought that all matched from 96-04...minus the all mode parts.

If you're buying Max's front diff with the 4.636:1 ratio, then it should work on your '02.

arb_07frontdiff.jpg

in_position.jpg