Guys don't kill me, a 4x4 turning on question, HELP I can't go 4hi, only down

NaturaTek

yozsi, smart enough...don't be a weenie head, first you talk crap with your opinions on swamper tires and now you flaming me on a shift question. isn't sesame street on? go watch it :shiftyeyes:

dude, what do you expect man? there is nothing here that hasn't been already covered in all the other 4x4 shifting threads that you supposedly read already.

WTF, those threads didn't say to PUSH down towards ground and then Pull down, they were topics on shifting on the fly. Why are a couple of you flaming. I never drove let alone had a '4x4', first time engaging it, even some people here posted similar experiences. And the way the knob is diagramed I thought one down was 4l when in fact its 4H. I admitted I'm a noobie, wth don't flame me though. I'm sure you are a noobie in networking 100plus computers to a server domain, if you asked for help I wouldnt flame you..I know I know you just jealous of my noobie 4x4 skills, don't hate :)

hell, i even posted a vid of how to do it in one of those stickies so you must not have read them then at all. :)

if you talking about the vid .mov when someone grabs the shifter and pulls down, I seen that 5 second clip, again, nothing on PUSHING in before down, and you guys helped explain the diagram. I thought one down was 4l but in reality it was 4h.

OMFG, now where was that video at when I needed it? See a noob like me looked at the diagram on the knob and kept thinking pushing up was 4h and default sitting was in N. Its like the knob of a manual transmission, you see where to push for gears and follow em. Man..I was pushing up like a mofo, when in reality wasnt even suppose to go up, lol. I'm still thinking something wrong with my transfer case, now that I can push and pull down, I hear some grinding noise I immediately pull back up. Yes I have the tranny in N and in a full stop while doing all this. And watching that video, he does everything so smoothly..no noise. Since I'm a noob I don't wanna mess things up. And knowing that one down is 4H, its really all I need, 4l might be for extreme cases, but for now 4h is suffice.

It almost sound like theres a big chain spinning fast and grinding on the side of the case shifter, vibrates. Maybe might shiat needs oil. I'll leave it alone for now, but I'll try again another day.

Thanks!

Thanks,

The pathy wasn't running when I shot that video. That's why it seems smooth.

Oh you made that vid? You are the man. Hmm it might not be a bad idea to try mines while pathy OFF so see if I can get the reflex, maybe help rule out that my tcase is good or bad. I try in bit

Oh you made that vid? You are the man. Hmm it might not be a bad idea to try mines while pathy OFF so see if I can get the reflex, maybe help rule out that my tcase is good or bad. I try in bit

if you shift like he did with the truck on, you would get a nice grind going from N-4lo, you need to have a smooth @!*% like he did from 4lo-4hi. :deadhorse:

ok.. one more time.. you have to NOT be moving (rolling) to shift from 4hi - N - 4lo and the same thing the other way around + you have to reverse the direction of travel in the amount of ~1m (3ft) to unlock the auto hubs.

naturatek, why did you think you were in N in the t-case.. the stick has a marking 2H, no? doesn't that seem like "normal" driving position? nutral normally means things aren't moving. besides you never tugged on the stick in the other direction?

ok.. one more time.. you have to NOT be moving (rolling) to shift from 4hi - N - 4lo and the same thing the other way around + you have to reverse the direction of travel in the amount of ~1m (3ft) to unlock the auto hubs.

naturatek, why did you think you were in N in the t-case.. the stick has a marking 2H, no? doesn't that seem like "normal" driving position? nutral normally means things aren't moving. besides you never tugged on the stick in the other direction?

I think he was thinking that the 4wheel drive shifter was a separate system. and neutral meant that just the 4 wheel drive was in neutral. I can see how someone not familiar with automobile mechanicals would think that. What comes natural for all of us can be daunting for others. Especially if they have never worked on a car before.

Mark

Just like msavides just said. Dang, one more time..like msavides said, I thought that whole shifter is a diff system, so it made sense to me N was default while my normal driving was in D. And that diagram on the knob just dont help a newb. If you look at it, it looks like N is default and you suppose to push UP for 2h and 4h. or down from N to 4l. Let alone i didnt know anything about pushing inwards then push down. You guys explained that all for me now and I understand the principle of the diagram. Thanks to for all the patience!

Wow! I've driven 4x4s for 10-15 years and have never been as confused as I am now about shifting into 4x4. I think If I was to go outside now I'd probably not be able to shif my rig in 4x4 even if I usually shift it in 4x4 every other day......Thank you guys for confusing the crap out of me! :wacko::crossedwires::puterpunch:

Wow! I've driven 4x4s for 10-15 years and have never been as confused as I am now about shifting into 4x4. I think If I was to go outside now I'd probably not be able to shif my rig in 4x4 even if I usually shift it in 4x4 every other day......Thank you guys for confusing the crap out of me! :wacko::crossedwires::puterpunch:

Yea Thats what were here for, To confuse the competent and straighten out the incompetent. :shiftyeyes: or something like that, Great now I am confused. I am out of here :crossedwires:

Mark

Heh... I remember the first (and only time) my pathfinder got stuck in 4x4 hi... decided to use low... goddamn that sound scared the crap out of me. Freaked out so bad I shut the truck off and jumped out XD

Got back in, tried again, slammed it into 4x4 lo and all was good... two seconds of tire spin as the hubs engaged and I was crawling my way thru almost 2 foot of snow with a nice inch and a half thick blanket of ice on top... crruuuuuunching the way to my university which, for whatever ungodly reason, decided not to call off.

I was the ONLY student in any of my classes... my professors all said to just go home XD

Heh... I remember the first (and only time) my pathfinder got stuck in 4x4 hi... decided to use low... goddamn that sound scared the crap out of me. Freaked out so bad I shut the truck off and jumped out XD

Got back in, tried again, slammed it into 4x4 lo and all was good... two seconds of tire spin as the hubs engaged and I was crawling my way thru almost 2 foot of snow with a nice inch and a half thick blanket of ice on top... crruuuuuunching the way to my university which, for whatever ungodly reason, decided not to call off.

I was the ONLY student in any of my classes... my professors all said to just go home XD

What's with the XD?

XD is an emoticon. IE your eyes are squeezed shut and you're smiling as big as you can.

OK to make things really really simple somebody should make another video with an Auto transmission, since it is slightly different. Probably with the rig running.

Hmmm I think I have a project for this weekend.

The first manual shift 4x4 I owned, I shifted into the Tcase into N and then waited and then tried to shift again and the grinding really scared me, I thought I broke something!! :crossedwires:

:D Hope all is well now...

See that, a lot of people come forward, lol. I was talking to a local friend of mine, he bought a used chevy tahoe he said it was 4x4, I argued it wasnt, because wheres the stick for it. He then showed me a pushbutton for 4x4, I'm like wtf..lol.

I'm with Kittamaru, I was attempting to go 4LO and I hear that grinding noise like a iceberg ripping thru a ship. I shut off and prayed it turned back on, lol.

I'll be honest, I haven't gone 4lo or attempted it again, I just wanted to see if it works. By reading peoples post here, I conclude it works, just wont try again anytime soon.

4H works, I'll wait till i'm in some stuck situation and be bold enough like A1 steaksauce to try again ;)

My suggestion if you're going in 4 lo and don't want to hear grinding is this.

1. Make sure tranny is in neutral.

2. Make sure you are at a dead stop.

3. Do not hesitate as you're going thru Neutral on the T-case (make sure it's one fluent motion)

If all these steps are followed and all is working well, there shouldn't be much if any grinding (possibly a small grunt as the gears actually sinc up)

Deffinately you want to know if your 4 lo is working before you get in trouble tho.