Guys don't kill me, a 4x4 turning on question, HELP I can't go 4hi, only down

NaturaTek

Ok, it has snowed in NJ today!! enough where it is blanketed here. I wanted to test the pathy in these conditions. First I realized I am in BADLY need of new tires, ****** gripping on road. I've been looking for BFGoodrich mud terrains here LOCALLY and no one has them, the only thing I can find is BFG all terrain, and they only have 2 in stock. I'm gonna have to find a good deal online with super fast shipping. Looks like its kinda hard to get anything in 31x10.50x15 around here in local stores.

Back to my 4x4 question. So I've read the stickies and some threads on this. So far, I put in Neutral and can pull the 4x4 gear down, into 4LO. It works and dang I get better traction/handling on the snowy road. However for the love of xmas ornaments, I cannot, CANNOT push the 4x4 gear up to 4hi or the other settings. It will only stay in N and allows me to push down to 4lo. I've tried some solid soft jerks upward, but wont budge. This is my first time testing this 4x4 mode..

I also kinda learned about those hubs, so I looked on the side of my front wheels, there are a hub on each that says automatic.

Is it a possibility my 4x4 gear shifter is screwed up? Or something is not working correctly or is it just me not doing something right?

While I am completely in stop mode, I shift into N, I then can move the 4x4 gear only down, it will not move above N for anything. It does seem 4x4 lo is working cause I did drive in that mode and provides better traction.

Keep in mind I only owned this pathy since a few months, I never asked if previous owner used it before but confirmed that it was working. This is regarding a 90 pathfinder se.

At this point I think something is wrong. I'm gonna go outside again and try jerking up a bit in diff angles..dang, I'm heartbroken.

Could I drive in highway using 4x4 lo? it helps out a lot in traction until I get some new tires.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

DO NOT drive on the highway in 4Lo, u wouldnt even want to do that in 4Hi. Try pushing the lever straight down and forward back into 4hi like you had to do to get to 4lo...if that doesnt work do not take it on the highway

• Like 1

First off 4 Lo should only be used when you need extreme 4x4 or low gearingis needed.

4hi is for slick roads (mud or snow)

You should never use 4x4, hi or low, on dry pavement.

When you say you tried to get out of 4x4 and couldn't go past Neutral. Was your tranny also in netral?

There should be no reason why your transfer case does not go from 4hi to 4lo when the vehicle is stopped with brakes on and transmition in Neutral...Even if your hubs would be royally hooped.

denis, I never can pullup past N to 4hi or 2hi, all i can do is pull down to 4l.

I went back out and try to force that thing up, no go. All i can do is pull down to L. Now, I noticed that if I pull down to L, forcing a bit more, it feels like I can go another down, and while tranny neutral, and pulling 4x4 shifter down, its a bunch of grinding noise.

I'm gonna assume when 4x4 is in N mode, if I pull down is 4L and if I push up is 4H and if I go another up is 2h?

My knob is in this order:

2H ^

4H ^

N

4L ▼

I can pull from N DOWN to 4l. It is a smooth pull down to 4L. Now if I wiggle and force a bit, I can pull down like allll the way and it makes some grinding noise, I immediately push back up. I cant push up from N. Unless everything is pushing down order?

sounds like you are only pulling into 4hi.

In order to shift into 4LOW, you need to push down (as in vertically down, pushing the top of the shifter towards the floor) and then pull back into 4 low. there will be a bit of grinding if you leave the transfer case in N then shift into 4 low.

Oh and make sure you are in Neutral (transmission neutral) before you shift into 4 low.

So you saying if I push one down from N, I'm actually in 4Hi? Why would the know have 4h on top of N? I don't get this I"m all confused. U saying I have to go all the way down then up into 4l, and how exactly does one know they in 4l? Soon as I push down from N, all I see is a green car light up on the dashboard, theres no 4l or 4h indicators, someone throw me in the river please

:puterpunch:

Shifting...

Starting from "2HI"

1. All the way forward is "2HI" (there is ONLY HI in 2WD)
  2. Pull back one position to get into "4HI"
  3. Push the stick down (as in towards the ground) and pull back one position for "N"
  4. Pull back one more position for "4LO"

Shifting from "4LO".

1. All the way back is "4LO"
  2. Push the stick down (again towards the ground) and forward one position for "N"
  3. Push it forward again to get back into "4HI"
  4. Push it one last time forward and you will be back in "2HI"

• Like 1

thanks red. i guess my reply did not come off to clearly :)

No problem, for some reason the Nissan transfer case messes up most people.. probably due to the whole "Push Down" thing.

*crosses fingers that NT understands this explanation :lol:

Ok, using the picture above, from the scanned page of manual...I'm gonna assume that by default the shifter is always in N mode. if I pull down once is 4l, back one up is back to N, if I can go up , its gonna be 4h, and one more up is 2h?

Or are you saying that its 2h is default and if I go down its 4h, then down is N, then down again is 4l? Am I also right to assume if I see the 'green car' light up in dash it means I'm in one form of 4x4 right? If its off, I'm not 4x4ing?

But rereading redpath reply, I think I missed something. You mean I must grab the knob, PUSH toward the ground, and while pushing down..pull it down? I havent tried it that way.

And if I'm getting this right, by default the gear shifter is always up? and if I simply pull down once, i'm in 4h? I can't believe this simple stick has me confused. Like said i'm new driver as of this year, lol. I can imagine when i start learning to drive manual stick, crap.

I'm gonna go outside and try this in a sec.

Ok, using the picture above, from the scanned page of manual...I'm gonna assume that by default the shifter is always in N mode. if I pull down once is 4l, back one up is back to N, if I can go up , its gonna be 4h, and one more up is 2h?

Or are you saying that its 2h is default and if I go down its 4h, then down is N, then down again is 4l? Am I also right to assume if I see the 'green car' light up in dash it means I'm in one form of 4x4 right? If its off, I'm not 4x4ing?

But rereading redpath reply, I think I missed something. You mean I must grab the knob, PUSH toward the ground, and while pushing down..pull it down? I havent tried it that way.

And if I'm getting this right, by default the gear shifter is always up? and if I simply pull down once, i'm in 4h? I can't believe this simple stick has me confused. Like said i'm new driver as of this year, lol. I can imagine when i start learning to drive manual stick, crap.

I'm gonna go outside and try this in a sec.

Yes its supposed to be in 2H by default. And you pull it down once, your in 4hi then push and pull down you'll go into neutral then just pull down more you'll go into 4lo, but DO NOT go into 4lo unless the truck is in neutral, you can really f*** your stuff up that way. Also if you put the transfer case shifter in neutral beware that even if the transmission is in park, the truck will roll, so be careful!

Ok, using the picture above, from the scanned page of manual...I'm gonna assume that by default the shifter is always in N mode.

No, if you have the transfer case lever in N then you are going nowhere (same effect as putting the transmission in N) ;)

Yes, 2HI is the "normal" position. And yes, if the light is on then you are in either 4HI or 4LO

But don't bet your life on a light... I mean they are called idiot lights for a reason ;)

This is the reason I used "push down", "push forward" and "pull back" ...an attempt to avoid confusion :shrug:

"Push Down" means push the stick down towards the ground.

"Push Forward" means move the stick towards the front of the truck

"Pull Back" means move the stick towards the rear of the truck

Yes all the way forward is the normal operating position and pulling it back on will put you into 4HI

I'm gonna go outside and try this in a sec

Best idea so far :D

Keep in mind guys, most new 4x4 (the yuppie ones) have push button 4wheel drive. It can be quite intimidating for someone to try and drive our dinosour 4X4's.

Sometimes the easiest things can dumbfound the smartest people. I think we should keep our judgments off the forums.

Mark

Keep in mind guys, most new 4x4 (the yuppie ones) have push button 4wheel drive. It can be quite intimidating for someone to try and drive our dinosour 4X4's.

Sometimes the easiest things can dumbfound the smartest people. I think we should keep our judgments off the forums.

Mark

yea but you gotta love having the shifter there, i feel badass when someone asks what its for, they always think that it means my 4wd is better...

and in case this happens to you as well, if you push it back up into 2hi but the light stays on, just cut the wheels and move a little bit and 2wd should disengage, it just needs a little push first...also, if your in N, if you shift into 4hi or 4lo you will hear a grind, you only dont get the grind if you go from 4lo-4hi or reverse in one smooth action...and yes you have to push straight down on the shifter to go into neutral, i had trouble with it at first too

Dont feel bad...i accidently found my 4L b/c the sticker on the back of the pass sun visor didnt get the point across and I figured the Tcase was fubared...when goofing around one day I accidently pulled it into N and pushed down and it poped into what was a "new" gear to me and from then on out I could get it in and out of gear...