Living with oil leak

Andrew

The rear main seals seems to be a common place to leak on older Pathfinders, they're a real PITA to replace. I wouldn't recommend using any of the "stop leak" stuff you can buy...but that is an option. Other than keeping the levels up you could put down a sheet of plywood to park over until you get it fixed.

In between, its not a quart every couple days but there is always a oil puddle

Here's my 98 cents...

If this is a "disposable" viechle... keep the rear packed a good half dozen quarts of oil (or one big one), at least two cheap funnels, a few plastic bags to keep the mess a min, and a couple clean rags for the spills... and good plan B for getting home... sooner or later your proably gonna lock that baby... get pissed of and not ck, drink too much, simply forget, low on cash, whatever...

When I was younger my mom had a few really crappy cars that weren't worth more than a few buck, at best... I've been stranded more times than I'd like to remember, for all types of reasons... and its never been somewhere really nice and pretty... and way before the cute "popular" cell phones...

Take it from me, being stranded in a bad spot... that is the real pain in the ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonus Engine Locked Story...

I was with a buddy of mine who had a similar problem, when we first started college... the guy faithfully always had plenty of oil in the trunk and cked the level constantly... Till that one night... We ran her a bit too much... I drank to much, and forgot I had put aside a buck for oil... and because of me... It locked coming back from Mexico (we live on the South Texas border) in the wee hours of the night...

Nothing and nowhere to go... till the cops came... anyways to make a really long story short... a bunch of fat shaved down goonie goo goo gangster chicks (that we never met) pulled up to our rescue... they wound up giving us a ride, way out of there way to past the next couple of towns to the sticks, where my buddy lived...

We got really lucky or blessed... you be the judge...

Its been a while since I've been in your situation with my mom's cars, so I feel ya...

But this may or may not help... I've been riding bikes almost exclusively for the past 13 years, the last year being the exception... but my last bike had a bit of a leak and almost stopped when all the crap basically sealed it, for a good while mind you... till I got caught a massive storm (1-2.5ft in the street)... back to the way it was... so it may subside maybe not, I would guess not, but I'm not too saavey with these 4 wheeled things...

Fix it if you can... if not Good Luck Brother!!!!!!!!!!

I've had 2 new seals leak on mine now. I'm going to pull my tranny again this weekend and I'll be using a speedy sleeve this time. A mechanic friend of mine thinks you should use a Nissan RMS rather than Fel-pro or similar, I guess it's a better fit. If your truck is a manual that oil leak could eventually blow back and glaze your clutch, not a good thing. Other than that just check the oil level frequently.

88 is right again. everytime i have a small leak, i tighten the valve cover screws and BAM, its good for a few hundred miles - it looks like a RMS leak. The valve cover gaskets and grommets are shot, its about a 500 dollar job to replace both sides.

88 is right again. everytime i have a small leak, i tighten the valve cover screws and BAM, its good for a few hundred miles - it looks like a RMS leak. The valve cover gaskets and grommets are shot, its about a 500 dollar job to replace both sides.

Ouch! I didn't realize it was that much. The valve cover gaskets could be easily be done by a fairly handy person in a few hours. I think my gaskets were like $40.

I just changed my valve cover gaskets when I did my "knock sensor" replacement a few weeks ago. Since I had the plenum off anyway, I figured since my ride is a '90, should go ahead and do it while I'm in there. Really easy to do but I can't see where it would cost $500.00! it's not that hard to take the plenum off and move a few things (you have to take it off anyway to get to the drivers side valve cover..)

I think the gasket set was only like 30 bucks or so....

Edited by Chriskaw440

Ouch! I didn't realize it was that much. The valve cover gaskets could be easily be done by a fairly handy person in a few hours. I think my gaskets were like $40.

I paid $40something way down here for my 90... and we get screwed for everything at the parts stores, due to the shipping... or thats there excuse... I'd be willing to be its more around $30ish (like 440 said) on the mainland...

I've been told that it is suppose to be relatively easy on the Pathys, but I didn't have the time, since it my primary...

and yes I got raped takeing it to the shop...