Rpms going crazy

bigfisch1191

Ok so today I went outside started up my truck let it warm up and drove it a few blocks down the road on my way to school, when all of a sudden the tack started freaking out going from the red zone to no rpms at all, but the motor was running normal, so I was like what the hell. I stopped at the stop sign and hit the gas and at that point the tack was at 0 rpms and then the motor started losing power and jumping little and then it died so I put it in neutral and coasted to the next stop sign and tried to start it. It was turning the motor over and but not starting, for like a min (and yes I put it in park) then it started and was barley idling at 300 rpm and then I gave it gas and it died. I got it to start again and it was barley dialing and I gave it gas slowly and it started to climb and it was fine and so was the tack so I continued and then it did the same thing as before tack stared jumping and it died. So I finely got it home like that and parked it have been trying to find out what’s wrong, on this site and by checking out the truck. But cant find anything. And now it won’t even start.

Last 4x4 outing was last weekend on sat, went threw a mud/water pit that went over my hood thought I might have sucked water into the engine but drove home fine.

Vehicle info

1988 4x4 3.0 liter v6 auto

I don’t really know what to do I was thinking it might be the tack that went bad and the ECU takes info from that and is just making the engine die I don’t know

any help would be apreciated no mater how crazy it sounds.

Edited by bigfisch1191

the only thing is i drove it for 3-4 days with no problems after i went threw the water.

but its not getting spark at the coil so i dont think its the distributer i need to get out there with a test light and check were it is getting power.

wow total deja vu'!! I had the exact same problem about a month ago, its the crankshaft position angle sensor inside the distributor the only way to fix it is to replace the whole distributor. I sat on it for a little less then a month and listened to everyone telling me to check codes and try this and try that and nothing worked untill I changed the distributor and I haven't had any problems since :jig:

yea when i said that before i did not do it right. i swithed it to dignostics and it blinks green and red at the same time 1-5

Distributor thoes are like 200 bucks right i sure hope it is not it.

Edited by bigfisch1191

cmon guys..... its the icm going bad. the ignition module is bad, id bet thats the problem.

yozsi got it right, it was the ignition control module, i went to a local shop and told them the symtomes and they said that is were i should start. so i checked the price on one and it was like 150$, so i went to a u-pull-it and got the icm and coil for 50$(+a ton of other pathy godies). then it took 15 sec to put it in and the pathy started up like a champ.