What other types of SUV make good off road vehicles besides pathys?

NaturaTek

I love my pathy..but I'm wondering what other types of SUV will make a good off road ride. I'll be honest, I know @!*% about 4x4'ing, but looking at Xterras they look appealing to the eye as a great off road ride. Someone said the frame is made of titanium, can anyone vouch for this? The newest xterras look blah, but early 2000 models have that rugged look to them, maybe I'm weird like that lol. And they are made by Nissan, so it must be good.

FJ cruiser looks hot too, when added with lift kits and stuff. I saw a picture of one hooked up nice on some expedition site. But dang they don't come cheap for a second vehicle.

What are some other rides you guys would probably buy for a second offroad vehicle that you think is worthy? No no, you're not cheating on your pathy, that's why I said second vehicle :handlebars:

The Xterra is a real good off-road vehicle. My second choice besides my pathy. The new Off-road edition is supposed to be rated very good offroad. And they have like 240 hp so they are not a dog on the road either.

I am not a fan of the FJ. Atleast not the new ones the old ones are awesome but that is another story. The new ones look too egg-shaped and I sat in one and I do notlike the view the pillars are huge and I think could get in the way when on the trail. Off-road they are supposed to be rated good too though.

Dont even buy a Exploder if you want to take it off-road. My buddy has a 2002 and it sucks the big one off-road. He was so excited when he got it that we went on a local trail and I just cruised right along not getting stuck once I considered it a easy arse trail. He got stuck 2 times. I did not understand how the first time but anyway Not off-road worthy in my opinion.

I'd have to say for a 2nd possibly full time off-roader I would probably look at Xterra's They also look the best when they are SAS'd.

The new Xterra along with the new Pathfinder are both built on the Titan/Armada platform and frame... not Titanium. I have a 2005 Pathfinder 4x4, and I am not in love with the Brake Applied Limited Slip Differential which the Xterra has as well. What it does is apply brake force to the wheels that are spinning and transfers it to the wheels with grip. It is a fancy electronic traction device that is somewhat annoying. It is effective once you get used to it... but it takes some getting used to.

I am not sure what kind of budget you have but there are several good off road vehicles to choose from, just depends on how you plan on using them and how much you want to spend.

1. 05-Current Jeep Wrangler Rubi, Torsen Limited Slip with electronic lockers both front and rear... if your into the Jeep thing.

2. 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited with Locking Center Diff, and optional Rear Locking Differential. (My choice)

3. 2005-Current Xterra, Frontier with above mentioned Brake Applied Limited Slip and Rear Diff Locker on the Off road pkg

4. 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadra Drive, a very advance 4 wheel drive system

5. 1999-2004 Toyota Tacoma with TRD Off road pkg, locking rear diff, Bilstein shocks, good, simple, indestructible 4x4.

You can pick up anyone of these listed for $20k or less and all are excellent choices. Each serves a different purpose, but off the showroom floor, all of these perform right along side with each other. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I love my pathy..but I'm wondering what other types of SUV will make a good off road ride. I'll be honest, I know @!*% about 4x4'ing, but looking at Xterras they look appealing to the eye as a great off road ride. Someone said the frame is made of titanium, can anyone vouch for this? The newest xterras look blah, but early 2000 models have that rugged look to them, maybe I'm weird like that lol. And they are made by Nissan, so it must be good.

FJ cruiser looks hot too, when added with lift kits and stuff. I saw a picture of one hooked up nice on some expedition site. But dang they don't come cheap for a second vehicle.

What are some other rides you guys would probably buy for a second offroad vehicle that you think is worthy? No no, you're not cheating on your pathy, that's why I said second vehicle :handlebars:

i wheeled with a hooked up 05X-OR and one out of the box and i tell yea, amazing.. that locker definitely makes a huge, huge difference. the older ones are very nice...

The Xterra is a real good off-road vehicle. My second choice besides my pathy. The new Off-road edition is supposed to be rated very good offroad. And they have like 240 hp so they are not a dog on the road either.

I am not a fan of the FJ. Atleast not the new ones the old ones are awesome but that is another story. The new ones look too egg-shaped and I sat in one and I do notlike the view the pillars are huge and I think could get in the way when on the trail. Off-road they are supposed to be rated good too though.

toyota SUVs seem to have an issue with the view out the front of the cab. i've been around all of them except some of the new ones.. they all had "restricted" view; you name it, 4runner, fj40, fj55, PU.. but they are durable horses and tough as nails.. well, the bodies tended to fall off of most.. lol

there was something a while back about the new FJs cracking frames though. icon2.gif

If I HAD to get a different 4wd, I might consider the jeep JK rubicon

for a factory deal, that pup is hard to beat although it's really a moded wrangler

Suzuki Samurai or 80-85 Toyota Pickup

:)

the true horses here. :)

the sammy is something i may consider as a pure off roader one day as it's small and i like to tuck my truck in places most people wont. i've wheeled a lot of quad tracks... personally, the pathfinder is really nice size... bigger ones can't fit in as well.. as much as i like the older Xs, they are actually pretty huge.. factory 32" tires and then you go up from there.. they are wider too, i think.. CG seems kind of freaky but they all can do anything i can and then some (mainly 'cause of the HP.) in these trucks you can travel across the continent and be pretty comfy, sammy or a jeep, i don't know man. :shrug::lol:

don't discount unimogs though.. there are some pretty cheap ones out there.

Suzuki Samurai or 80-85 Toyota Pickup

:)

You mean 79-85 Yota's.. right? :D

Toyota HiLux based factory solid axle year range:

Pickups 79-85

4Runners 84-85

Couple early experimental pre-4Runners are out there too, like the 82 and 83 "Trailblazer" All of them were converted pickups.

*Want's a "Toyota Trailblazer" bad!!!*

yea, who said anything about traveling comfortably? hah both of my choices say SCREW COMFORT all over them :)

i love sami's because of the size. my buddy has one, and i love seeing it in action

Yeah, they're pretty sweet on the trail. A friend of mine (Bender, the guy who did most of the work on my bumper) is building an old Sami. We've got her torn down now, ready for the body to be sent away for sandblasting, then we're going to start on the rolling chassis. :)

I thought you guys were joking when you said a suzuki samurai, in fact..thought you guys smoked some crack, I'm like wtf, those things looked ****** back then, and I thought they had a recall for tipping over on street.

Then I found it's use in offroading doing some googling:

BadbradGoat.jpg

Edited by NaturaTek

I really dig the 3rd Generation 4runners. I picked one up from my folks a couple of months ago when they rolled it but the thing drives like a champ. Its sitting stock and definitely has more power than my R50. A supercharged one would be very nice.

CIMG0672.jpg

658f4635.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

Having owned one i can verify that the w163 M class mercedes were all very capable off road...full time 4wd, not awd, with lowrange capability...some guys custom fabbed some body lifts and raised the front via torsion bar to even it up, the smallest width tire they had were 8.5 inches. Now its not a hardcore trailrider, but pretty much anything you would do in an R50 you could do in a w163

go to benzworld.org and check out the 163 forum, its actually something a lot of those users are into

you can pick up an older toyota 4runner or pick-up for pretty cheap, thats what i trying to convince the wife to let me get as a second trail rig. Id love to have a 4runner that came with a factory solid axle but i could live with one that has a SAS and a 22re. Heres a good example of what you can do with a second gen Xterra

the_wedding_by_Mike_291.jpg

Edited by csutke

you're on there too?

i'd still prefer the G.. MLs have had many issues over the years.. one of the crappiest products out of Stuttgart i can recall.

yea im on there...still go there a lot on the w163 forum, under the same name...and it came from Alabama, and was recently ranked the least reliable SUV mercedes has ever made, out of all 3 of them

I used to have an 82 yota SR5 short bed straight axle with a rare 22r-te (turbo 4cyl :laugh:) transplant from a 1st gen 4runner. The body was about gone with cancer but it was really fun off-road for a $900 stocker. Someone actually stole that ugly SOB, so I got the Pathy.

Old Toys seem to be popular here.