What I got done this weekend...

Charlie

My truck had the original spare tire, and its puny size was bugging the hell out of me. If I got stuck on the trail, I didn't want to have to limp out on a 25"x8" tire. So I went to the junk yard and bought a well worn, but good enough for me 31x10.50 tire, on a Toyota aluminum rim for 25 bucks. I then bought a Jerry can holder for the tire rack, because I was sick of keeping it in the cab and breathing the fumes :crazy:. I got home only to realize that putting a 31 inch tire on the carrier, put the jerry can out over the tail light. So I came up with a creative way of fixing that problem. I moved the carrier over to the left and utilized the left two holes for the carrier, and then welded a bracket up for the other two, only my measurements were off, So I ended up welding it to the rack. (See pics) I the welded two pieces of 1" strap to the carrier and drilled the holes to mount the jerry can holder. The holder originally came with a lame cloth strap that couldn't hold a 2 month old in a car seat, let alone a full 5 gallon can of gas on a bumpy trail, so I sewed a ratchet strap to the carrier to better hold that precious petrol.

I know it looks like the gas can is covering the light still, but it doesn't. You can see the light fine from the rear of the truck, plus the can won't be there except on wheeling excursions. I also left room for up to a 37 inch tire, though I only plan on running a 33 in the future.

100_2892.jpg

100_2896.jpg

100_2897.jpg

100_2899.jpg

hah. i got the same jerry can w/ the same wussy strap. except i mounted mine like this

IMGP0382.jpg

except the mounts are beefier now and on a different part on the tire rack. now i have an ammo box where that jerry can holder used to be. i think it's pretty sweet.

IMGP0384-2.jpg

cool! i've kinda wanted to move my spare tire mount up a few inches because the tongue latch of my trailer would always bump into the tire and make it a biatch to hook up. slap some paint on that extra vertical support before it gets rusty!