Hidden Hitch Installation...not...

MrBuddha

Howzit fellas...

I just picked up a used Hidden Hitch for my 96 Pathy and was trying to test-fit it to my frame to see what bolts I needed to buy. (I only got the hitch/bar, no bolts)

Now Hidden Hitch is supposed to be a no-drill install...so when I held it up to the frame, I was surprised to find that there weren't any holes that lined up with the holes in the hitch brackets (at each end of the bar). :ohno01:

The bar has a Hidden Hitch sticker w/ 70609 so when I looked it up I came across these instructions: http://autoaccessconnect.stores.yahoo.net/nipa1cl3trhi.html

So am I missing a bracket or something? Has anyone else had a similar case where there were no holes in their frame?

Thanks!

I just did a search on the forum and saw someone mention that the Hidden Hitch replaces a stock hitch bracket that, I think, is already attached to the frame.

I took a second look and saw that there was a metal plate on the outside of each frame "rail". This plate had two bolts on the outside. Could the 4 mount points I'm looking for be behind this metal plate?

Thanks!

The hitch will bolt up to the frame rails where the tie-down brackets/tow points are attached.

This photo shows my old hitch (with some extra parts welded to it):

06sideview.jpg

This photo shows where the hitch attaches to the frame. Note that the OEM tie-down plates are removed.

notch.jpg

Yup, assuming no changes between the '96 and '02, you should have no issues. Just remove the tie down plates and all the holes will be there. Its a pretty easy job, even for me :crossedwires:

Note though you will need longer bolts.

Awesome...thanks guys! I ended up figuring it out. There were stock plates that were mounted there and so I just took removed three bolts on each side and bolted the hitch right up.

It was super easy! Very unlike the time when XPLORx4 and his buddies helped install my lift!

How's it going Dean! :aok: Been on any new adventures lately?

Thanks for the help!