AGH PATHY WONT START

BigMike

alright she wont start. shes out like a light. i think my starter is done with, it clicks and clicks then stops ah clickin. every thing runs fine lights radio and such. i went under and tapped it to death and nothin. after i tap it it will click three or four times then stop and nothin. is there any way to fix these things or will i have to slap down a couple to get a new one?

Just clicking when trying to start? Yeah probably the starter. When you say tapping I hope you mean hitting it good with a hammer P... I kept my starter going for a good 2 months by just beating it with a hammer when it didn't want to start. Another thing to try is jumping the terminals with a screwdriver. I know it works on some vehicles, but don't know about the Pathfinder. It is possible to rebuild them. You might get lucky and be able to fix it by just cleaning the brushes and other contacts inside without too much disassembly. Worst case buying a new one isn't too expensive and won't leave you stranded

it will click for a little bit then stop entirerly. how do i jump the starter? i see a small wire in the back of what i think is the solinoid? i cant really see much else. thanks for the link 88 i hadnt seen that ill try that tomarrow.

I feel your pain. pssd

I just had mine replaced with a rebuilt starter last week! I didn't have time to fool with it myself, but I have a mechanic that does work for a fair price and shows you what he replaced. It cost me $200 total. That included having it towed in on a rollback, the starter and labor. The rebuilt starter itself cost $95

I feel your pain. pssd

I just had mine replaced with a rebuilt starter last week! I didn't have time to fool with it myself, but I have a mechanic that does work for a fair price and shows you what he replaced. It cost me $200 total. That included having it towed in on a rollback, the starter and labor. The rebuilt starter itself cost $95

Jeeze, all that for $200. That's a deal, I do think.

I wasn't sure myself, but I didn't feel too bad about paying for all that!

He works out of a garage behind his house. He has done me right so far. I got the timing belt changed and a new water pump put on a couple months ago by him for $150. I wouldn't do it myself for that.

I wasn't sure myself, but I didn't feel too bad about paying for all that!

He works out of a garage behind his house. He has done me right so far. I got the timing belt changed and a new water pump put on a couple months ago by him for $150. I wouldn't do it myself for that.

Wow! I paid $600 for that, although they did cover my tow. :furious:

agh well.. :angry: s$%t happens i suppose. the starter is dead. so ive taken it out, man was it a PITA. the starter had oil and dirt all around it. the plugs were covered in oil and the last one on top was the hardest to get to, didnt help that my hands are big. after the last plug was pulled it was easy as pie then. i should be getting a new one soon. im also sanding down and painting the front skid plate a high gloss black. B)

:D:D:D:D SHE LIVES !!! i just got done puttin in the starter, and she starts! i took lots of pic so that i can try to do a write up. i havent put my skidplate on yet cause imma paint it but other than that, she ready for another days work. wasnt as hard as it could have been, i paid to have it rebuit for 45 bucks in stead of 100 for a new one. when i took it out it was nasty. when i got it back it looked almost brand new. now she purrs like a kitten again, well a loud boxy 2 and a half ton kitten :laugh: