Headers

Since my catalytic-converter is shot (has been for a while...makes a loud hissing noise) and just because I enjoy buying presents for my Pathfinder, I am considering doing a full exhaust replacement. Plans were for Thorley headers, 2.25" pipe, high-flow cat, and Flowmaster 50 series muffler. When I went and did some "research" on headers, some concerns/questions arose.

1) When I search on summit racing, it indicates that DTE-464-1 is needed for an 86-89 while DTE-464-2 are needed for 90-95 models. I understand that the -1 is a long tube version...but this is due to a difference in transmission pans location/size? (I'm just curious...)

2) dmag23's thread (http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15027&hl=headers) worries me a little bit. Should it? Should I plan on have a similar problem with the exhaust tube proximity to the steering shaft flex plate? (BTW I do not have a body lift, nor do I plan on adding one in the near future)

3) Main concern: Broken exhaust studs. My Pathy does suffer from the classic ticking noise at startup (continues after warm-up but is quieter), which is at my best guess a sign of a broken exhaust stud(s). I may be wrong there, but either way it appears that people frequently snap bolts when trying to remove the stock exhaust manifolds. This seems like a real PITA, and makes me think of two alternatives. Instead of doing the install myself, I could take my Pathfinder to a shop...make it their problem...or I could not install headers at all.

Which brings me to my final question,

4) Installing headers worth it? What's the typical power increase due to headers? (estimate...obviously) People sound like they are really happy with their Thorleys and so part of me doesn't want to miss out, while the other part of me doesn't want the headache (maybe just do high-flow cat, 2.25" pipe, and flowmaster muffler).

Any thoughts, comments, etc are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rusty

• 10 months later...

BRINING this up form the dead beacuse Doing a search this was the most relevant thing I could find about Thorley Headders

I made a discovery today that I guess #1 already pointed out but I thought others would be interested not to mention I HAVE PICTURES!

The long tubes extend almost all the way to the bottom of the transmission before meeting the Y pipe and the shorties meet the Y pipe near the firewall maybe 10-12" farther down than the stock manifolds did.I also know for a fact that both models bolt up to all VG30 and VG33 heads.

DTE-464-1 for 86-89 pathfinders are _LONG TUBE HEADDERS and have 2 emissons ports(EGR and PAIR) for VG30i and a "stove pipe" (intake heater) for the hot air pickup.

DTE-464-2 for 90-95 pathfinders are SHORT TUBE HEADDERS and have an emissons port(EGR ONLY) for VG30e.

Why does this matter you might ask? well google long tube headders vs short tube and you should find several sights with test results proving that longtubes provide a flatter Torque Band which means more consitant torqe @ any rpm. I'm glad I have long tubes!

The Long tubes will go on the Vg30e just fine. you will need to plug one of the emissions ports and adapt the other to your existing EGR. The "stove pipe" can be cut off or just ignored.

HERES MY LONGTUBES & MaritimeMan's Shorties. You can see the diffrance!

Assembled.jpg715562_8_full-1.jpg

905.112.300x200.THY-464-1.jpg907.113.300x200.THY-464-2.jpg

I wish I had seen this info b4 doing my Headders, the outcome would have been the same but I still wish I'd seen it. I hope someone else finds this useful!

Edited by MY1PATH

Just verifying, these are the Thorley headers?

No, I don't believe I have seen this information all in one place. Thank you!!

Any generalization as to how much flatter the torque curve was shown as?

B

So that means, the long tubes for a 95 (3.0 D-21 I was told at least)on craigslist will work on my 88? just truing to get full clarification.

Edited by nunya

Just verifying, these are the Thorley headers?

No, I don't believe I have seen this information all in one place. Thank you!!

Any generalization as to how much flatter the torque curve was shown as?

B

Yes B, I have only compared Thorleys thus far. If someone wants to throw up a set of pace-setters out of the box for compairison they can. the vehicles used in each test were differant and so results vary. Some show very dramatic differances becsue they used very differant setups between the long and short tubes. My favorite one is HERE because they tried to elimnate as many variables as possible keeping to same brand headder w/ same diameter primaries & collectors. (both thorley headders have 1.5" primaries & 2.25" collectors) in their mustang dyno sheet the long tubes started thier pull maybe 10ftlbs higer and lasted over 500rpm longer before starting a much more gradual drop. The short tuebes peaked about 10ftlbs higer but climbed steeper and fell off ALLOT faster. I would prefer the flatter tq band better because you can't always keep it at peak so way not aim for a greater consitancy of high tq rather than a short but higer peak. Do keep in mind esp w/ 3.0 or 3.3 opening the exhaust too much after the headder may undo this.

I have heard several cases of the pacesetter Y pipe fot pathfinders having a risticive hole (as in coin sized) where they meet becuse somone didn't ream it after welding @ the factory. I have also heard tell that the pacesetters are less bitlle under impact whic makes me think I will replce my thorley Y pipe so that it dents rather than cracks if I hit a rock. Other than that I have now knowledge of length compairison or compatibility but I assume it would be similar.

So that means, the long tubes for a 95 (3.0 D-21 I was told at least)on craigslist will work on my 88? just truing to get full clarification.

If your talking about thorley yes, however the long tubes were designed for the 86-89 so they migh have the years mixed up. if you get a 90-95 header for your 88 rember even tho they bolt to the heads, you will need to have the correct port added for your PAIR system well as add a stove pipe for your airbox. this can be made by taking of a pice of 1.5" pipe 2-3" long and cutting a curve or V shape into the end 90deg from the v drill a hole big enough for a radiator clamp. the v shoud nest well on your primary in whatever angle suits you and the radiator clamp will hold it on. bam! you have stove pipe for your hot air pickup for ~$2 @ the parts store.

Edited by MY1PATH

Good stuff, just hope the guy replys to me. Imm issues are not my concern, the dorky tube thing that goes to the cat was cut and plugged at some point before me and I don't even think my o2 sensor is plugged into anything. As long as there is no clearance issues (and as I said, he replys) I will be able to call my exhaust done, finally.

• 6 years later...

Here is a true side by side of Thorley Long and Short tubes. However, I do not think Thorley long tubes are available anymore.
Thorley Long tubes make getting to the upper starter bolt extremely difficult and the passenger side MUST COME OFF to pull the transmission.
The bolts are easier to install because of the different tube arrangement but I do not like how short the rear primary is on the short tubes... I guess that's the price you pay for more convenient packaging...
DSCN32081.jpg DSCN32071.jpg

This post got me thinking...I looked online at the pacesetter website and it seems to indicate that the headers are only for 90-95 models (I have an 88, V6, 5 speed) and before I contemplate getting some pacesetters, can anyone confirm that they'll fit my 88? Is anyone aware of any other companies that make headers for old Pathfinders? (Other than Thorley, which appear to be out of production?) Thanks everyone!

This post got me thinking...I looked online at the pacesetter website and it seems to indicate that the headers are only for 90-95 models (I have an 88, V6, 5 speed) and before I contemplate getting some pacesetters, can anyone confirm that they'll fit my 88? Is anyone aware of any other companies that make headers for old Pathfinders? (Other than Thorley, which appear to be out of production?) Thanks everyone!

Yes they will fit.

87-95 Have the SAME port configuration and fitment to the heads and the exhaust system is the same for 87-95.

The difference comes when you go to hook your smog equipment up:

• 87-89 Has EGR and Pulsed air recirculation fittings.
  • 90-95 Has EGR ONLY and the fitting is in a different location than the older models.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a set of pacesetters off a 93 on my 88 and my only problem was the collector runs under the tranny pan to avoid the o2 sensor so dropping the pan isnt gonna happen without cutting. And i just capped egr.

I just put a set of pacesetters off a 93 on my 88 and my only problem was the collector runs under the tranny pan to avoid the o2 sensor so dropping the pan isnt gonna happen without cutting. And i just capped egr.

You should be able to just drop the Y pipe and leave the headers in place. No?

Yeah, my personal favorite is the Dorman 10.9 Flange Head Bolts.
If I could afford it I would use those on everything. The ones pictured are on my vg33 headers.
th_DSCF8507.jpg
Grade 10.9 Flange Head. Dorman 459-YXX
Y= 2 for M6 x 1.00
Y= 4 for M8 x 1.25
Y= 5 for M10x1.25
XX= Length, 20-40 in 5mm increments
XX= Length, 50-70 in 10mm increments

Edited by MY1PATH

• 3 months later...

Update with my headers. Last weekend i went to do my first oil change since my motor swap and header installation and found out something interesting. My oil filter will unscrew but i cant get it out the headers restrict it. To get it out i had to pull the starter which was horrible as well. Is there oil filter relocation kits for the vgs?

Yes, I have one but its not fully installed due to a leak. Got mine off 4x4 parts.

Other than that use toyota oil filters. Ask the guy at your aytoparts shop to cross refernce the thread for something about the same diameter as the Fram that is for our trucks. Just dont use the Fram. They are crap.

Would have been easier to just crush your filter with a large pair of pliers.

Edited by deerhurst

Yeah i couldve crushed it but i needed to put another back in,obviously. Plus the starter was going out. I ended up having to drop the skid plate and pull everything out so im hoping the filter will squeeze through next time, i wasnt paying attention to it last time.