Would Thorley hedders remedy the known.....

Xmas

I have two broken studs on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

I saw that Casey mentioned that I should put on the Thorley headers.

~ Now if i was to put on the new thorleys hedders will this remedy the known exhaust manifold bolts breaking issue??

~ I know that hedders will increase HP, but I am happy w/ the Pathy-power I have in the stock 3.0, I just don't want to hassel w/ these darn manifold bolts ever again.

Thanks!!

There is much debate on this. Many people say that the defect is weak studs. Some say the defect is in warping exhaust manifolds. Could even be a combination of both. I never wanted to ever do it again, so I replaced everything. I even switched from studs to locking bolts, I have never needed to touch them since not even to re torque them. some people have replace the exhaust manifolds or even had there old ones machined flat again and have had no more problems. I did not want to take a that chance. Headers will also make you engine compartment a little cooler.

Mark

I have two broken studs on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

I saw that Casey mentioned that I should put on the Thorley headers.

~ Now if i was to put on the new thorleys hedders will this remedy the known exhaust manifold bolts breaking issue??

~ I know that hedders will increase HP, but I am happy w/ the Pathy-power I have in the stock 3.0, I just don't want to hassel w/ these darn manifold bolts ever again.

Thanks!!

There is much debate on this. Many people say that the defect is weak studs. Some say the defect is in warping exhaust manifolds.

I'm pretty sure the studs break then the manifold warps...if you dont replace the broken studs and then put thorleys on I'm pretty sure with time you will warp those as well...as metal (and most objects) heats up it expands and depending on the temperature it can change grain structure when it cools this also changes the properties of the metal so if it is not bolted down properly the metal will deform (warp)...

change the bolts to some good grade 8 studs and get the manifold machined or get throleys and a good gasket and you wont have to worry about a leak

good to know.

So since I have NO-IDEA how long these exhaust manifold bolts were broken, I am sure the manifold is warped, you think?

So I just need to go to a machine shop to have them even it back out? What do you recommend? The engine is coming out this weekend, so I need to make sure my honey-do list is up to-date :)

Thanks all!

good to know.

So since I have NO-IDEA how long these exhaust manifold bolts were broken, I am sure the manifold is warped, you think?

So I just need to go to a machine shop to have them even it back out? What do you recommend? The engine is coming out this weekend, so I need to make sure my honey-do list is up to-date :)

Thanks all!

It'd personally go with Grade 5 Bolts over Grade 8 Studs. Grade 8 material has a different expansion/cooling rate then the heads/manifolds do and will likely cause problems. Grade 5 should expand at about the same rate.

good to know.

Thanks all!

PM Answered...

If your going to have the motor out.... easy access to the broken studs and perfect time to replace all of them and upgrade the exhaust manifolds to Thorleys.....

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
It'd personally go with Grade 5 Bolts over Grade 8 Studs. Grade 8 material has a different expansion/cooling rate then the heads/manifolds do and will likely cause problems. Grade 5 should expand at about the same rate.

What size are the bolts and do they have to be specialty bolts?

I personally like the studs because they have the ability to use more threads in the head. they really don't go in very far so i like to use as many of the threads as i can.

I've been running thorleys for a few years now and i haven't had a broken stud since.

one way i fixed it i me and my mechanic got supper strong bolts(dont remember the guage) that thread into the head like the orignals and then took the orginal manifold and had it planed flat. The reason i did this is because the orignal one wont warp as much as what a new one that hasnt already warped before. Plus the stronger bolts will allow it to take more of a stress and not have them snap or leak. worked good for me! never had a problem again