How secure is our security?

Floonster

I have a 99 pathfinder and there is a security light that flashes. There is also a horn feature or panic button that sounds the horn on the key fob.

In my manual it says the security system is activated via the fob, and goes off if the any portal in the vehicle is opened when it is locked. How does one test this? Are we talking engine kill??

How often are our little gems coveted enough to steal?

The reason I am asking is my work van full of tools got ripped off last night and I am trying to get my security ducks in a row so to speak. Are people here big proponents of the Club? More alarms?

Thanks in advance.

Paranoid in Canada. :ar15:

(test)--Roll your driver window down and lock doors, exit vehicle and make sure the alarm sets(arms). Then open door lock through window and open the door, alarm should go off(scaring most punk a$$ thieves away)! Reality is, if they want it bad enough, they will steal it anyway! :angry: Honestly, I'm not sure(since my alarm doesnt work at the moment) if it has a starter kill. I thought I read somewhere that it doesnt but still not sure :shrug: I dont think our pathys are quite the hot item on the stealer's lists (not like the civic, accord or camry), But if your like me, you've got a pretty nice setup in stereo that would tempt a lot of folks to attempt a "smash n grab" on the back window! (MAN, I"D BE HIGHLY PISSED!!) :rant2: At any rate I hope I've been helpful, sorry for your loss. Hope you recover it and bash the bastards!

Good Luck!

Billy

I once Had someone break into my convertible and steal all my stuff, stereo,subwoofer,amp, sunglasses, even my gillette blade razer (nasty) I had an alarm but they just cut the wires to the siren. I am sure it went off but they had enough time to pop the hood and cut the wires. I had to park far enough away from my apartment at the time so I never heard the siren

When I wired up my after market alarm to my 91 pathfinder I put the alarm wires in the factory loom so they could not find the wires easily, I also bought a pager alarm so if they do try to break in and clip my siren my pager will notify me and I will come out armed like Rambo and shoot their punk A$$es. People ignore sirens, I will not ignore my pager.

Mark

My 96LE has factory alarm with engine shutoff. I actually found this out completely by accident(long story) a while after buying it. Just have someone open it from inside the vehicle while it is locked and you'll know.

Here in Winterpeg, we're right up there with Lower Mainland in auto thefts but the Pathys are not a big target here.

Clubs are better than nothing but you should have an alrm with shutoff IMO.

Sorry to hear about your tools Man. Guys that steal other guys tools are tools!

king has had 3 attempted thefts (had an alarm) to the point they messed up EVERY lock on the truck.... if i lock allt he doors. only way i can get into king is through the tailgate (that's FUN!)

mini has never had an attempt on her life...

i tore the useless keyless entry alarm off king, and mini has an alarm as well. they both get parked 2 feet from my front door, and someone is always home next door to keep an eye on the pathy i leave home. i am fortunate. i park my truck (whichever i am driving) in my yard at work, so i am never really far from my trucks at any given time. :wub: (i get separation anxiety)

Things to realize....

You're never going to be able to keep people from trying to break in aside from some extreme measures. The main goal would be to keep them from getting away with your vehicle once they get in. Don't leave things that are worth money in the Pathfinder...there's no way to secure them. Glass is easily broken if someone wants something.

There is nothing better than a hidden kill switch. Hide it somewhere that wouldn't be obvious to someone else trying to start your car. When you lock it up for the night, flip the switch. This still doesn't prevent your vehicle from being put on a flat-bed (nothing does short of chaining it to the ground) but it should deter theives long enough to move on to an easier vehicle.

12voltguy.com has some really nice stuff.

Well, I was a little concerned that my alarm was off line as the horn doesn't sound when I arm it and if I followed all of your fine instruction, there was still no love until today. The wife went into the house after arming the truck while I was still in it, finishing some notes for work. It took me a minute or so and all I did was push the manual lock and beep beep beep.

There is a 20 second window between arming and actual initiation of the alarm function. :) I kinda dig the fact that it doesn't beep when you do arm it, it actually kind of annoys me when others do. :itsallgood:

I have to agree with tmorgan4. A battery selector switch from a marine store will work great and only cost you $35 or less.

As far as "The Club" goes, it doesn't take long for someone to get one of them off.

I've always told my wife that locks and alarms only keep the honest thief out, if someone wants to get in.... they'll get in.

I've always told my wife that locks and alarms only keep the honest thief out, if someone wants to get in.... they'll get in.

Yep. My wife has a VW convertible and she leaves it unlocked all the time with the alarm off. If anyone wants in she would rather they open the door than jimmy the lock or cut the soft top open.

I have to agree with tmorgan4. A battery selector switch from a marine store will work great and only cost you $35 or less.

As far as "The Club" goes, it doesn't take long for someone to get one of them off.

Harbor freight has them for 6 bucks.

Mark