Coolant Change Help WD21

coaz4x4

So I am trying to swap out the fluids (all) on my WD21 (1988)... and the coolant and oil seemed to be the place to start.

I'll definately be getting a dual filter relocation kit... getting that filter out was a b***h!!!

On to the issue... I drained the coolant from the radiator, and from the reservoir... but according to the Haynes manual, I also need to drain it from the block. I am having the hell of a time a) locating the block drain plug and if I have located it, and if I did, there's an issue...

circles.JPG

1) I'm assuming there's not supposed to be a bolt in the blue circle...

2) I did get the red bolt out, but oil drained out... so I got 'er right back in.

3) I think the yellow is the drain plug but I am not sure, and it's being a real PITA to get out.

Help??

Here's a couple more pics of the area... the Haynes manual says it's "behind the alternator" so that's where I'm looking!

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

leave the lower radiator hose off and flush it with a hose while its running? then just remember when your filling with antifreeze that theres prob about a gallon of water in the block so you'll only need about a gallon of pure antifreeze and then just check the ratio with a tester and adjust accordingly...

but there are drains on the block I've just never used them...

leave the lower radiator hose off and flush it with a hose while its running? then just remember when your filling with antifreeze that theres prob about a gallon of water in the block so you'll only need about a gallon of pure antifreeze and then just check the ratio with a tester and adjust accordingly...

but there are drains on the block I've just never used them...

My understanding that you only use distilled water in the cooling system to avoid deposits from the minerals etc. in the water from forming??