Strange Noise

:D I wish I could get in touch with the previous owner about this rear diff situation and find out what all he's had done. But, after reading 95pathDN's instructions on installing the Lock-Right a minute ago it hit me that that's more than likely what it is...

What got me was everyone referring to the "noise in the rear-end" as a RATCHETING noise... That's my noise... I don't know why I didn't think of it as a ratcheting noise before...

It also does the slight squeal on the outside tire if I goose it right as I turn.

I know that the earlier replies even said something about auto-lockers, but I just assumed all lockers where controlled devises. Like air lockers or the cable ones...

I did my little test on a different day with my cousin and a good friend and had the same reaction from the rear-end. Both tires spin exactly the same with one on pavement and one on loose gravel. The traction was sooo good on the pavement that it actually dug in a little bit and exposed the wet looking tar stuff underneath, and that was in 70-75 deg. F. weather so I know the road wasn't just hot.

A guy I work with has a 95 Nissan HB pick-up 4x4. The other day he went with me(in his truck,me in my pathy) to a off the map fishing hole that's got more than it's fair share of mud holes, and I noticed while following him that his rear tires would switch up a lot. The drivers side tire would spin like crazy slinging mud everwhere, then it would stop and the other would start. He barely ever had both spnning together. He almost got stuck on the way out running in 4hi. I used 4hi on the way in but didn't feel like I needed it so on the way out I left it in 2wd for most the way.(couple of the holes where a little deep and slippery for 2wd) He flat out didn't believe I got thru most of that mud in 2wd. So we did a little playing around in the pathy and he was floored by the difference in the traction mine has in just 2wd... He said it reminded him of a front wheel drive Cadillac that a friend of his had in high school. He said it was a V8 front wheel drive older model Cadillac, like 70 something model with mudders on the two front wheels... I'd like to have seen that car. He said that Caddy would walk thru some deep mud and barely lose speed... :blink: :o

:aok: Thanks a million to 95PathDN for the write-up on the Lock Right, and thanks to everyone on this forum for all the help and knowledge you've all givin...On all subjects... :beer:

PS: Has anyone every seen heard of a front wheel drive V8 Caddy??? He's not one to tell a lie, but I've just never seen or hear of one... Plus I was born in 77 so it may be a before my time/when I was just a kid kinda car...

There are lots of front drive V8 Caddy's, even the newer Eldorado's and Sevilles/STS's were front drive Northstar V8's until this year, when they switched back to rear drive. There were 70's ones too, and I believe you could get something like a 501 cubic inch V8. I read a while back in Hot Rod mag about a guy that shoe-horned one of those into a Fiero. :blink:

D@mn, I bet that thing flies... Fiero's weigh less than some of the bigger bikes. At least he's got a good engine in it now.

That's about like the 350's going into a 280zx... :o

• 2 years later...

I have recently noticed a clunking clicking ratchet noise coming from the back. I was told that the spyder gears were locked up somehow and that I needed a new rear end. I noticed it when I was driving slow and turning hard. They said the fluid was good and there wasn't any water in it.