Gotta oil leak and it's pretty bad.

Xmas

I have a pretty bad oil leak. At first I notice some drips.

It looked like it was coming from the drain plug. So I wiped it down clean; drove around about 10 min.

Parked the rig and waiting. Soon enough some drips are on the concrete.

Looks to be coming from above the oil pan. WHat is it? Rear main seal? Is that where to leak is coming from?

Take a look / above the oil pan:

P1020331.jpg

P1020332.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Xmas

everything winds up right there...I have had mine look like that from valve covers...it could also be the oil pressure switch...bad oil filter (pin hole or not good mating surface)...could be a RMS...could be an oil pan gasket or the oil pan itself

some guys have mentioned on here B4 about some UV additive that you can add in your oil then use a blacklight to track it

Good luck

everything winds up right there...I have had mine look like that from valve covers...it could also be the oil pressure switch...bad oil filter (pin hole or not good mating surface)...could be a RMS...could be an oil pan gasket or the oil pan itself

some guys have mentioned on here B4 about some UV additive that you can add in your oil then use a blacklight to track it

Good luck

All I know that this job will not be any fun.

I cannot believe how much crap I already done to it and not even one day of ownership. lol

Wife is not happy about the oil drips now going on our driveway. I told her to move the new mazda out of the garage and let the big boy in. SHe laughs. I told her I was serious ;)

Well a guy I know had a pan under his truck and would pour the oil back in his truck every day to top it off. Saves from getting the asphalt driveway tore up and saves on oil purchase. tongue.gif

also introduces dirt into the engine :ohno01: b/c no matter where its parked there will be dust and as the oil makes its trip out of the engine esp on a 4x4 thats used will pick up dirt and whatever else...I dont think I'd do it

Got a 2nd opinion today. The shop said its the rear main seal.

They said they's make me a deal.

Here it is:

Install new rear main seal

Install new transmission cooler

All for an out the door price of $650.00

Good deal??

Well a guy I know had a pan under his truck and would pour the oil back in his truck every day to top it off. Saves from getting the asphalt driveway tore up and saves on oil purchase. :tongue:

He prolly had a rag for a gascap to, huh?

Damn that sucks. Id get a second opinion first. You can install the trans cooler yourself if you want- It takes about 20 minutes.

Yea I see that U-Haul sales a SUV tranny cooler for only 50.00, so I think I am getting jacked!!

Oh and the cheapest quote I got back 'just' for the rear mail seal replacement was $540.00

Is that a good deal??

Edited by Xmas

thats why you have a filter, duh!

also introduces dirt into the engine :ohno01: b/c no matter where its parked there will be dust and as the oil makes its trip out of the engine esp on a 4x4 thats used will pick up dirt and whatever else...I dont think I'd do it