spare tire rack

ray1270

Hi I recently came across a spare tire rack for my 89 pathfinder.....paid ten bucks for it. It's the kind that goes on the back of the truck. My question is my truck didn't come with one so i don't know if there's any thing to bolt to. I don't think there is but any suggestions on where to get some??? thanks

There may, or may not be supports in the rear right pillar for the tire carrier to bolt to. I tried to move my tire carrier from my old truck, to my "new" one, and decided it's too much work, as mine does not have the supports inside to bolt it to. I'd have to cut a lot of sheet metal to get supports in there, and I figured it's not worth it, especially given that I have a friend who works in metal fabrication, and has said he'll help me build a rear bumper/tire carrier for my truck.

My path has a rear tire carrier and I took it off. In my opinion, it looks a million times better. In there rear corner where it bolts up, there are threads inside the metal... It seems like it'd be a load of fabbing inorder to bolt one up. As well, there are bolts along the bottom of the truck under the liftgate where the latch attachment bolts up to.

I've attempted to mess with mine, but there are no hinge brackets inside the body to begin with. I've tried stuffing stock brackets (pulled from a junkyard Pathy) inside the corners on mine; the lower one simply does not fit in there with the body all welded together as it sits. I'm sure that with the right kind of bracket it's possible, but bottom line: you need the correct internal tire carrier hinge brackets to bolt one on. The lower latch bolts may or may not already be present, I can't tell without holesawing the sheetmetal out of the way to find out.

IIRC, 4x4parts.com claimed to have a bracket kit to mount an external carrier. But I drink a lot so I could've been imagining things.

I just looked at 4x4Parts.com and put my eyes on the tire carrier parts kit. Look under Trail Gear, then Trail Accessories.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Roost