97 Pathfinder Wont Start

fordnutz

My GF's 97 pathfinder started up and drove 1/4 mile and she stopped and turned it off waiting for the bus to come. Wouldnt start after that. If you push in the clutch and turn the key, you hear something on the drivers side buzz and something on the passenger side fender buzz/click, and acts like something is not allowing power to the starter. The starter doesnt click at all, has new battery and it tests good. Terminals to the battery are clean and tight. :stickwack:

If you have and ford problems, come visit us at fordforum.com. Alot of good guys who love to help!

Edited by fordnutz

Could be as simple as a shot starter or corroded battery cables, or it could be some of the wiring between the ignition switch and the starter relay and the solenoid wire. Can't tell from here. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully with some more feedback we can help you fix her starter problem.

Prolly your solenoid in the starter. they dont work well after being submerged in dirty water. there are many points to test before jumping staright to this tho. have you crossed any water lately?

Prolly your solenoid in the starter. they dont work well after being submerged in dirty water. there are many points to test before jumping staright to this tho. have you crossed any water lately?

Nope. But as an update, I went out this morning and she turned over and purred like it always has. Let her run a minute and turned off, now wont restart again. I checked the switch on the clutch pedal and its good. The veh. acts just like you turned the switch w/o pushing in the clutch. Nothing would happen until you push the clutch in far enough to engage the switch. Hope this helps in guessin the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be as simple as a shot starter or corroded battery cables, or it could be some of the wiring between the ignition switch and the starter relay and the solenoid wire. Can't tell from here. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully with some more feedback we can help you fix her starter problem.

[/quoteWell, went out the next morning and tried it, started right up and ran. Turned it off after a minute, and nothing. wont start again.

For the past few months her check engine light has been on. Her Uncle read the code as speed sonsor. Could this cause the problem if it completely failed??

I'd say you're on the right track with the clutch safety switch. You can splice those out. Might be worth a shot, to see if you can start the truck with it gone. It could be a part of the wire to the switch that is corroded, not the switch itself.

Also, clean the battery terminals well, and ensure they're tight. These things are very sensitive to getting proper voltage to the starter.

The speed sensor wouldn't cause a no-start.

I had a similar problem on my little race car. What that issue was was the wires that went onto the starter motor weren't connected properly. Sorted this out and starts no problems. I wonder if this is potentially your issue?