Brush/grill Guard Mounting Points

pbdm4k

Hi,

Was looking around at some Grill guards, and I was wondering if the mounting points for a 1987-1992 grill guard was different from the 94-95 models.

The one I'm looking at says its only for a 1987-1992 Pathy, or 86.5-92 hardbody... can this fit (plug an play) on my 95? Or will some drilling and fabrication be required to make it fit?

Thanks

Yeah, I saw it too, its a RAM Accessories one, seems the guy has some overstock back from when they did make these brush guards.

The shipping kills the deal though.

I just want a light bar or grill guard.

Edited by pbdm4k

Yeah, I saw it too, its a RAM Accessories one, seems the guy has some overstock back from when they did make these brush guards.

The shipping kills the deal though.

I just want a light bar or grill guard.

You could get the pre-runner bar from 4x4parts.com if you just want something to mount lights to.

You could get the pre-runner bar from 4x4parts.com if you just want something to mount lights to.

Not sure I like the look of the prerunner bar... any pics of what it looks like on the truck?

On the 87-92's the guards usually bolt to the frame at the bottom (where the tow hook is, on each side) and/or onto the bolts through the bumper-to-frame brackets on the outside of the bumper. If you take a look, you'll see multiple round bolt heads for the bumper on the front near the license plate spot in the middle. On the 93-95's the upper mounts go through the bumper where the fog light holes are and go to the same bumper-to-frame brackets but inside the bumper instead of on the front of it.

My Smittybilt (same as the above Ebay auction) bolts solely to the bumper-to-frame bracket bolts on the outside of the bumper. I drilled the holes and upgraded the bolts to 1/2" (?) Grade 8 SAE's instead of using the stock bolts because stock bolts are short, wimpy carriage-head grade 8.8 8mm metric, I think.

• Like 1

On the 87-92's the guards usually bolt to the frame at the bottom (where the tow hook is, on each side) and/or onto the bolts through the bumper-to-frame brackets on the outside of the bumper. If you take a look, you'll see multiple round bolt heads for the bumper on the front near the license plate spot in the middle. On the 93-95's the upper mounts go through the bumper where the fog light holes are and go to the same bumper-to-frame brackets but inside the bumper instead of on the front of it.

My Smittybilt (same as the above Ebay auction) bolts solely to the bumper-to-frame bracket bolts on the outside of the bumper. I drilled the holes and upgraded the bolts to 1/2" (?) Grade 8 SAE's instead of using the stock bolts because stock bolts are short, wimpy carriage-head grade 8.8 8mm metric, I think.

I am likeing that smittybuilt grill guard so your saying even though its a 87-92 grill guard it just bolts up a little different on the 95 but still fits??

I am likeing that smittybuilt grill guard so your saying even though its a 87-92 grill guard it just bolts up a little different on the 95 but still fits??

No, I don't think the 95's have bumper bolts in the same place 87-92's do. *goes to look* I can't really tell from Google Image results. Someone eyeball their 93-95 front bumper and tell me if there are any round bolt-heads on the bumper in front near the center!

No, I don't think the 95's have bumper bolts in the same place 87-92's do. *goes to look* I can't really tell from Google Image results. Someone eyeball their 93-95 front bumper and tell me if there are any round bolt-heads on the bumper in front near the center!

it wont fit,

I had a brush guard from a 92 style, and will not bolt up to my 94

I kinda got screwed in the end casue now I got no use for it and there hell to ship if anyone one even wanted it. The mount tabs for the 92 style, mount right where the light grille/foglight spots are on the 94/95 style. Unless ya wanted to fab up something it wont be direct bolt on.

I did up a crappy diagram to show what I was talking about

446.jpg

hope this helped

Josh

Thanks for the info guys. That was the exact grill guard I was looking at.

The seller also confirmed that it would not fit.

Looks like I'll have to hunt for other options... Not a big fan of the pre runner bars.