Wd21 Fluids, Plugs And Wires Q's

coaz4x4

Here's what I gather from the Haynes manual I got (since I don't have the owners manual)...

'88 Pathfinder

Nissan Specs:

3-5/8 qt engine oil (10w-30)

11 quarts coolant (6 coolant, 5 water)

7-5/8 pint trans (API GL-4 ??)

2-3/8 qt xfer case (API GL-5??)

each diff: 2.75-3.125 pint (API GL-5??)

DOT 3 Brake Fluid

I plan on replacing all of these fluids since I just got it used, and have no idea when they were last changed/serviced. Any suggestions/advice on fluid types or brands?

Two specific questions:

1) how do I dispose of coolant??

2) Does the brand of spark plugs and wire make alltogether that much of a difference? (ie. Bosch vs. VatoZone store brand)

Thanks!

NGK plugs work fine, so do Bosch Platinums from what I hear. Plug wires don't really make much difference. Make sure you have a ratchet, extensions and a u-joint before going after the #6 plug. Or use the spark plug removal tool that should be under the rear seat if it's still in there.

If you have the manual transmission, up the dosage of gear oil to 5.1 liters instead of 3.6 liters like the book says. The fill hole was located too low on the case on the 5-speeds from 87-96, so it needs more fluid for proper lubrication of the internal trans parts. One way to give it more is to jack up one side to tip the vehicle far enough to allow addition of more fluid, or you can remove the gear shifter and pour it in from the top if you feel adventurous. ;)