1998 Chilkoot Transmission Noisy

Matheos

Hi

I'm a newb on this forum and I'm a pathfinder fan. A little problem of mine is that I don't know much about pathfinder's mechanic and I'd like to be helped with a little mechanic bug in my transmission. (sorry, I don't speak english very well).

The problem is that when I shift to upper speeds 1 to2 2to3 etc...or when I downshift, there's a really bad sounding noise hapening which I can feel through my shifter knob and my clutch. I have no prblems for shifting, it shifts very smoot. But the sound seems worse each time I use my truck. I don't know what could it be or if it is something really bad. That's why I ask you if you could help me with that trouble. If you know what it is and/or what I could do.

Thx for help.

This is a 5 speed, right?

Does the sound happen only while you have the clutch pushed in, then goes away when you let it back out?

If so, that is the classic symptom of a bad throwout bearing.

Wow!

This is exactly what's hapening!

Do you know how expensive should be the replacement of the component or if there are other parts destroyed by that bad throwout bearing?

And should I repare it as fast as possible or it doesn't really disturb if I let it go for about 8 months like that?

Thx for answering!

The throwout (or release) bearing itself is pretty cheap. The cost is in getting to it! The transmission needs to be removed to access it, requiring several hours of labor. Which is several hundred dollars if done by a mechanic in the US.

As a general rule, if you are going to pay someone else to do it, bite the bullet and have them replace the clutch while they're in there - unless you know the clutch has been done in the last 50K miles.

It is something you want to do sooner rather than later. It will eventually get to the point where it will no longer disengage the clutch and may even damage other components of the clutch. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 6 months. But it will happen.

If you are handy and patient, you can do it yourself.

I thank you a lot mws!!!

The informations you gave me are worth a lot for me.

I can finally understand what is going on in my transmission.

I will take your advice and will change it as soon as possible...unfortunately I can't repair it on my own.

Thx a lot again.