Oil Change

wild91

hey i was told to use 5w/20 oil and the ph3682 filter. i know u can use the pg3600(larger filter) i was wondering what is the advantage of having a higher capacity oil filter? other than it has more filter surface area to filter with.

and what oil do you use/how much do you use?

thanks guys for the info...ill go thicker. I live in central California so its warm but gets into the hi 30s in the winter...but still wondering if their is any advantage in the larger filter

Also i noticed a squeak from the front drive system i was wondering if their is any ongoing problems with idler pulleys or anything else. just replaced the fan clutch not too long ago( tho i should have went electric o well i didn't have to pay for it)

Weird, both mine and Pezzy's owner's manuals state 5w30 for all temps. We've just changed hers over to 10w30 as she's got a small leak in the rear main, and I'm running 5w30 synthetic.

Weird, both mine and Pezzy's owner's manuals state 5w30 for all temps. We've just changed hers over to 10w30 as she's got a small leak in the rear main, and I'm running 5w30 synthetic.

maybe it's a canadian thing.. hmm.. my 94 says 10w30 on the cap and in the manual.

Well sometimes the engineers are wrong. As strange as that sounds. My father has a 1984 Volvo 240 series Diesel that states in the book that you should use 15W-40 conventional oil. I read a big article on that car with the diesel engine that said the engines did not last long if you used what Volvo recommended but lasts hundreds of thousands of miles if you used a 5W-30 synthetic oil, which is what my dad uses. Actually he uses the 5W-30 diesel formula from Amsoil. On Amsoil's website and on mobil's website, they also recommend a 5W-30 and not a 15W-40.

I'm not saying that engineers don't know what they are talking about but in this case, it was clear that they were wrong by specifying 15W-40 for that car. My dad has around 140k on the Volvo and the engine runs fine. The suspension on the other hand....

Now, in my case I use 5W-30 since the book does say to use it. I may try the 5W-20 but I am more interesting in trying motorsilk first.

http://209.200.118.63/index.cfm

Edited by wheel366

Well sometimes the engineers are wrong. As strange as that sounds. My father has a 1984 Volvo 240 series Diesel that states in the book that you should use 15W-40 conventional oil. I read a big article on that car with the diesel engine that said the engines did not last long if you used what Volvo recommended but lasts hundreds of thousands of miles if you used a 5W-30 synthetic oil, which is what my dad uses. Actually he uses the 5W-30 diesel formula from Amsoil. On Amsoil's website and on mobil's website, they also recommend a 5W-30 and not a 15W-40.

I'm not saying that engineers don't know what they are talking about but in this case, it was clear that they were wrong by specifying 15W-40 for that car. My dad has around 140k on the Volvo and the engine runs fine. The suspension on the other hand....

Now, in my case I use 5W-30 since the book does say to use it. I may try the 5W-20 but I am more interesting in trying motorsilk first.

http://209.200.118.63/index.cfm

Well, for the record, when I first picked up my truck, there were no oil leaks.

But after I removed the oil filter and replaced with Castrol Syntec 5w30, it started leaking like no tomorrow.

I recently flushed the oil again (the colour was not pretty at all), and with a new filter, added Bardhal D1, and Engine Restorer mixed in with Castrol GTX 10w30.

Well, its still leaking a tad bit, but not as much as before... I guess the thicker oil helps.