Anyone Running Full Synthetics?

Xourque

Hello! I am new to this forum.

I purchased by 03 Pathy at 43k miles on it and decided to change over to fully synthetic Mobile One 5w30. I am now at 50k miles and am on my second oil pan full of it. I don't seem to have any problems and really can't tell if there has been any performance or gas mileage improvement since.

Are you running full synthetics? If so, what brand are you using? What are your experiences with it?

I no longer run synthetic oil in my engine ever since it developed a rear main seal leak. However, I did use M1 5W30 for many miles without problems. I'm also running Amsoil SVG in the diffs and Amsoil ATF in the tranny.

I run synthetic all around. Castrol Syntec 5w50 in the engine and Castrol Syntec 75w90 in the diffs. I have used Syntec for many years in many vehicles and am very happy with it. I have just switched over to Shell Rotella T 5w40 fully synthetic oil because I can get a much better price for it and I have read that it is a very good synthetic. Hopefully I will be just as happy (or happier since its cheaper!)

Edited by HitTheTrails

I have been running Quaker State 10W-30 for about a year (or roughly 30,000 km) with no issues. I have not noted any change in fuel consumption or power but it does start in about half the time it used to.

I may try syn for the trannie and transfer case at its next service but the quoted cost sort of puts me off (over $200 just for the oil?). Will be using a different shop than the last few times, maybe the price will be better :tongue:

CDN$200 for ATF + diffs may not be that unreasonable.

Amsoil and Redline fluids run between US$10 and $12 per quart. A full tranny flush requires about 10 quarts ATF, the t-case needs about 2-1/2 quarts ATF, and the diffs need a total of 5 quarts of 75W90. That's 18 quarts!

When I flushed the tranny with Amsoil ATF, my friends jokingly chanted "ka-ching ka-ching" as each quart poured in.

There really seems to be a split about the Synthetics. I know some smart auto guys and even they are split. I guess ya gotta try it and see. Like xplor says, I've heard some higher mileage vehicles having problems with leaks. Up here in Manitoba, I know guys who only run it during winter months(-20C) for obvious reasons.

I think there have been enough independent tests to prove that synthetic is superior, but that I my opinion. I personally use Amsoil in all the cars in my driveway except I use Redline MT-90 in my pathy trans.

I have a 2001 Audi S4, 1995 Pathy, 1999 Explorer, 1996 Lumina and a 1984 Diesel Volvo. The only vehicle that requries synthetic is m S4. Let me tell you, once we switched to the Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic diesel formula, the Volvo ran so much smoother. The Explorer was changed to Amsoil Oil (5W-30 ASL I think, the 25k stuff not the 7,500 stuff), Amsoil EaA Air Filter and Amsoil EaO Oil filter, my father gained 4 almost 5 miles a gallon on the highway. The lumina, well just sucks in general but uses 5W-30 also I think. The S uses 5W-40 European. All other fluids are stock in the S. The Pathy uses the same formula as the Ford, I have Amsoil ATF in the transfer case and all Diffs. As I stated above, I use Redline in the trans. After looking at the specs, it was obvious that Redline was superior as far as a GL4 lube goes. Oh, all vehicles also run Amsoil oil filters except the Lumina because it sucks :-) I'm still waiting for the Amsoil Air filter for my S. They are supposed to be far superior to the K&N and stock filters. Traps more dirt and flows more air. Can't beat that!

I used 5-30 Synthetic Castrol in my engine and Redline in transmission, differrential and transfter case right after I bought mine. It had 123,000 miles when I bought it and no leaks with synthetics. Haven't had to change it yet.

Oh, I used to use Mobil 1 but when I looked at the specs, Amsoil looked better for the viscosities I was using. Plus I pay about the same per quart, except I pay for shipping with Amsoil. Also, the Mobil 1 filters are a synthetic blend where as Amsoil filters are 100% synthetic.

I use Amsoil only in all my vehicles..

Long windy baggy reply.....

Over the years I've tested many synthetics..... I won a few crates of Castrol Syntech years ago and and swore by it. Didn't notice much of a difference in the engine, but hey it was free. I found out not too long after I ran out that Castrol Syntech isn't or wasn't full synthetic but a blend of both conventional and synthetic. Castrol apparently had to go to court to defend the name as it is quite missleading (Info from an ELF race lubricants rep.)... still the commercials don't seem to have syntec compared to other synthetic oils, they are carefull to say it beats the crap out of leading conventional oils....hmmmm. Its just a really expensive blended oil, or was... dunno anymore.

Then I got the Celica 4WD Turbo...... aka The f'ing hot, coking, sludge forming 3SGTE powered rocket. Now engine fluids are a real concern.... my engine builder swore by Amsoil, easy for him when you buy in bulk wholesale. I used everything else but.... 'cause I didn't want to pay $12 a quart.... after about 10 000km of Mobil 1, Valvoline, and others I was in for a another checkup and he showed me the sludge that forms under the oil cap as an indication of how your oil is doing and urged me to try Amsoil. As you can tell from the first line I tryed it (5w-30) and loved it..... there was less of a rolling resistance that could be felt right away (it was wierd to be in the same trafic as before and have to get off the gass sooner 'cause you sneek up on people faster). After about 100 000km on the built engine I used some M1 (10w30) for a while and shortly there after my valve cover gasket started leaking..... Common problem on the 3sgte but my car for some reason my car just doesn't like M1. It seems to find its way out of the engine some how and its just not as silky as Amsoil (I know, I know, I'm used to people looking at me strange....). Anyway, now at 200 000km and back to Amsoil exclusively I desided to change my own valve cover gasket this time as I was there doing other stuff. Learned from the interweb that the 3sgte head accumulates alot of sludge and goo around the cams over time ... so expecting the worst I opened the top and saw...... that it was absolutely, clean brand new, wow. One real good reason to use Amsoil for me, no worries in the oil department now, if the sludgiest part of the 3sgte is clean then the super hot turbo bits that create particulate ought to be clean too.....

I use Amsoil in all the parts of the QX4.

5w-30: engine

75W-90 Sever gear: in diffs

Slip-lock: rear diff

ATF: Transfer case and Tranny

I'd put in the glove box if they had a synthetic fluid for it......

For me the 'Q is much smoother all round now esp. noticable when the tranny modulator gets confused and shifts hard.

I am biased and your milage may vary.

Amsoil 5-30 is $8.40CDN here so I'm not complaining.

P.S. There is a sticker on the engine of my ECHO that says only use 5x30 as it promotes much better fuel efficiency.... yes, I put Amsoil in it also...... and got an extra 60-80km distance out of one tank.

I've got just a hair over 140,000 on my 99. I run Mobil 1 Extended 15,000 mile 5W-30, with a 10,000 mile Wix made oil filter. I do oil changes every 10,000 miles, simply because it's a pain in the ass to take my skidplates off every 3 weeks, LOL. I have no leaks, issues or anything.

I do notice, however, that as I get closer and closer to needing an oil change, my fuel economy does drop off slightly. After a fresh change, I can get 300-310 miles out of a tank, at 10,000 miles, I get 270-280. Right now, I'm getting about 260 because of some tire issues. (Note: Mostly highway driving, 60-65mph).

My appoligies to your wallet..... ;)

Actually they have a discount program..... that I keep forgetting to ask for... It's 10% off or more with no obligations, should have something similar in the States.

I should have got it before I bought $200 Bux worth of it in one shot (a la xplorx4)....ohh the pain of impatients.

Markus

I did have full synthetic and believe it is the only way for the auto, but for the engine due to inconsistencies in oil quality have gone to fleet diesel oil (15w-40 delo 400 or Rotella-T) since fleet oils keep a consistent quality . I do my oil changes at 2k miles, also, since this is best for engines that have lots of idle time.