Thorley Vs. Pacesetter

cohen

I have been contemplating between thorleys and pacesetter for a while. But, I want to run each header into a 2.5 or 2.25" pipe with HF cats and turn down tips, and maybe flowmaster 40's. I think it will sound good but I don't know if I'll get the low rumble I'm looking for. I called Doug Thorley's number a few months ago and got these prices for their headers.

Pacesetter (black) - $217

(ceramic) - $352

^off of nissanpartswholesale.com

Thorley (chrome) - $398

(ceramic) - $522

Pacesetters are built in Mexico by children with stick-welders. They fit OK but the overall build quality is lacking. That's why they're cheap. Thorleys are nice.

I had a look inside the crossover pipe for mine, there was (honest to god) a quarter-sized hole torched into the tube for the y-pipe join. Then they welded the other tube on top and shipped it out. Not real high-performance if you ask me. :P

Pacesetters are built in Mexico by children with stick-welders.

^hey so was my bull bar! They made it for my truck and I spent a whole saturday cutting pieces off of it. :rant2:

Thorleys it is then, I'm not sure what I want to do with the rest of the exhaust though I'm kinda stuck between these 2:

-pipe coming out of each header with HF cat and/or Flowmaster 40 with turn down tip

-use the Y-pipe with HF cat, and 40

I really don't want to have the exhaust in the stock location cause it has been owned a few times and I break weld joints or gaskets, I'm looking for a nice low rumble at idle and to sound totally bad ass while driving...is it possible in the '87 v6?? haha thanks guys.

My vote is simple.... Thorleys are definately better.... but I got a set of pacesetters at less than half the price of the thorleys. Many other things on a 12 year old truck to spend the dollars on. :)

• 2 weeks later...
My vote is simple.... Thorleys are definately better.... but I got a set of pacesetters at less than half the price of the thorleys. Many other things on a 12 year old truck to spend the dollars on. :)

Agreed, I'll settle for the pacesetters, and when they come in, i'll sand them down, spray them in dupont high temp ceramic, and if need be, i'll dremel the quarter sized hole to make it right.

200 more for Thorleys is not a price I'm willing to pay on a truck this old. Especially when I have 2 other vehicles that fight for the attention of my wallet...

200 more for Thorleys is not a price I'm willing to pay on a truck this old. Especially when I have 2 other vehicles that fight for the attention of my wallet...

Try having 4 Pathfinders and a 300ZX.... oops almost forgot the Wife, 4 kids, a son-in-law(hes yours free), and the grandson....

Try having 4 Pathfinders and a 300ZX.... oops almost forgot the Wife, 4 kids, a son-in-law(hes yours free), and the grandson....

Can the son in law mow lawns and wash cars?

But case in point... can't always afford to buy the best parts for our cars, there's sometimes something else taking priority...

Alas, settle for the pacesetter. Whatever, it may take a little elbow grease to make it fit properly, but it saves me $200.

Very true on determining what to spend on our old trucks,

I'm very happy with my Thorleys; moving them to my non-rusted frame Pathy as soon as my body lift is done

(got rid of my 91 300zx to upgrade my truck (& pay some hefty speeding fines)) I blame Stillen for the speed problem!

Better off with headers either way though

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

• 1 month later...

To dig this up from the grave;

I bought the Pace Setters and they bolted on beautifully. Build quality was average, but nothing left unwelded or anything. For $50 more than a new stock crossover/y-pipe I'll take em.

Yeah, all good size wise. Only thing I noticed inside was where the weld came through the joints a little much in a couple places, not huge spots, but if I was going for high performance out of them, those spots would need some smooth out work.

If I were to have a complaint, it would be the use of clamps and pipe over pipe connection between the header and crossover. I would much rather have had a standard 3 bolt header flange for that connection on either side.

I went with the pacesetters and I will be putting them on this week. I plan spray them with the high temp spray then wrap them after a couple days of curring. I got them for what seems like $300 less then the Thorleys. I would have probably spent the money on the Thorleys if I hadn't sunk so much into the engine/tranny replacement.

Had the pacsetters.... no power until 3000 rpm or so.

Now I have Thorleys, even power throughout rpm band. They actually do better (than the pacesetters) up and through the Eisenhower tunnel. I push this little 3 liter fairly hard at 7K feet plus. The difference is night and day.

You pay for what you get.....