Door Locks Not Working

martin_nv

Hi Guys,

My door locks on my '92 SE have been intermittent for the longest time, like 10 days working, 1 day not working, so it wasn't a big deal. Now they don't work at all. When I try to lock any door, either from the drivers console panel or by pushing the lock thingy on the door down, there is a clicking noise coming from near the driver's side rear wheel well. So I read up a few of the past posts about this topic and decided I should remove the "Door lock timer" box, which I did. I inspected it and it looked ok, re-soldered a couple of questionable looking joints and stuck it back in, but still no joy, just the clicking noise. Any other ideas on what I could try?

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Martin

The master switch on the driver's door is a likely culprit in the lock problem area. Check that out, maybe?

Thanks for the reply, 88P, I pulled out the master switch, but there was nothing obvious. I'll pull it out again on the weekend and see if i can open it or something.

Good news, I looked at the "Door lock timer" box again (above the rear driver's wheel), this time with an ohm meter. Sure enough, one of the solder connections which looked ok was not, so I re-soldered it, and the locks work again! :D No more reaching to the other side of the car to let the passenger in!

hey my problem is a little different...i don't have electrical locks...my key doesn't unlock my door i know their is a little piece of plastic that connects the key lock to the door lock..i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem..or knows where i can get a kit for this..i don't really wanna take the time to go to the junk yard and find the parts...but i will if i have to

If your talking about a little plastic piece that a rod clips in one end and the plastic snaps into the lock mechanism, these are really cheap maybe $1 or so at the dealer. Its best to go back new with clips. Ive worked at Dealerships for years in the parts dept(Ford,Lincoln,Mercury,Dodge,Jeep,Eagle,Subaru,and Indian Motorcycles)(not nissan though). But every one of those clips Ive ever looked up were really cheap, so check a dealer before going to the JY.

• 2 weeks later...
Good news, I looked at the "Door lock timer" box again (above the rear driver's wheel), this time with an ohm meter. Sure enough, one of the solder connections which looked ok was not, so I re-soldered it, and the locks work again! :D No more reaching to the other side of the car to let the passenger in!

My locks are acting up also.

Could you be a little more specific about where the lock box is again?

Is it outside or inside the car?

Thanks!

hey my problem is a little different...i don't have electrical locks...my key doesn't unlock my door i know their is a little piece of plastic that connects the key lock to the door lock..i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem..or knows where i can get a kit for this..i don't really wanna take the time to go to the junk yard and find the parts...but i will if i have to

Simple fix, but hard to get to the linkage to do it. I just fixed my driver's door this spring.

I also have a door lock problem. Actually not really a problem yet, more of an annoyance. I have an after market alarm/keyless entry system installed. When I lock my doors with the remote sometimes they make the noise like they lock and then they pop back up again. This only happens once in a while. What makes it annoying is that i have to unlock then lock again (unarm/arm) I think I heard that this tends to happen when it is cold outside, however I have not noticed the problem with any consistency with the temp outside. so before I go tearing apart my door does anyone have any ideas.

Mark

Simple fix, but hard to get to the linkage to do it. I just fixed my driver's door this spring.

My locks are acting up also.

Could you be a little more specific about where the lock box is again?

Is it outside or inside the car?

Thanks!

He is talking about the door lock timer! drivers side,around the wheel well area. take off the plastic trim inside the cargo area and look at the boxes in there. It says door lock timer right on the little box! Let us know if you have any luck!!

I also have a door lock problem. Actually not really a problem yet, more of an annoyance. I have an after market alarm/keyless entry system installed. When I lock my doors with the remote sometimes they make the noise like they lock and then they pop back up again. This only happens once in a while. What makes it annoying is that i have to unlock then lock again (unarm/arm) I think I heard that this tends to happen when it is cold outside, however I have not noticed the problem with any consistency with the temp outside. so before I go tearing apart my door does anyone have any ideas.

Mark

I believe the door lock timer may be your problem as well!