Rotted Frame And Rust Holes

pbdm4k

So the common rust spots above the rear tire have rusted through, i was going to sand it down today, but as I was chipping away the rust, it went clean through the frame.

The top and bottom still feel solid, but now i have rust holes on the sides, the passenger side being the worst with about a 7" long hole.

I guess boxing up the frame is the way to go for a quick/cheap fix?

What if I wanted to go all out and have the frame replaced with a tubular one?

Or can I do a combination of the two with a semi tubular frame? (Tube frame rear).

A tube frame will be time-intensive and expensive. A patch job is cost and time-efficient, since there's no re-engineering or rebuilding going on. You choose.

I think I will go the patch job route to maintain the lowest cost possible in fixing the truck.

Does boxing in the frame add considerable weight to the vehicle?

I may have some potential rot going on in the front of the frame as well, but haven't had time to verify if the rust has eaten through yet.

Not suprising about its thickness now that you mention it.

I will call around some shops tomorrow for qoutes...

After punching the floorboard beneath the pedals, there's a bunch of rust falling from underneath the car, so I guess I need to have the floor board cut out and new steel welded in as well...

If any Torontonians have any recommended shops, it would be much appreciated.

First time I've had a car where I needed to repair the frame and the floor boards... o.O

Not suprising about its thickness now that you mention it.

I will call around some shops tomorrow for qoutes...

After punching the floorboard beneath the pedals, there's a bunch of rust falling from underneath the car, so I guess I need to have the floor board cut out and new steel welded in as well...

If any Torontonians have any recommended shops, it would be much appreciated.

First time I've had a car where I needed to repair the frame and the floor boards... o.O

Called a few body shops and so far I haven't found anyone willing to box in my frame for me. They claim its too labour intensive and they don't want to touch it.

Anyone in Toronto can point me to a shop that's capable of doing these repairs?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

You can buy a new frame. It's not cheap, but its easier than a tube and more of a guarantee than a series of patches.

Why this is so rarely listed as an option eludes me... Maybe because Pathy owners are cheap or broke or both. :tongue:

I love the idea of a fresh start though.

You can buy a new frame. It's not cheap, but its easier than a tube and more of a guarantee than a series of patches.

Why this is so rarely listed as an option eludes me... Maybe because Pathy owners are cheap or broke or both. :tongue:

I love the idea of a fresh start though.

It is not the cost oof the frame, it the cost of swap... it is NOT easy or fast

Yep, there was one lady living in a salt state that loved her pathy so much, when the frame failed, she a new frame installed. I can't remember the cost, but it was essentially as much/more than buying another pathy in good shape/low milage.

Good to see you LG, how have you been?

B