What Is It About Pathfinders

GreenEnvy94Pathy

So I was at a work function at one of our local parks today, and of course some of my co-workers were giving me a hard time about all the cars I have owned/sold. At last count it was approx. 29 cars since I have been driving (about 13yrs). Out of the 29 cars 21 have been Nissan products, and of that 17 have been Pathfinders.

These are the Pathfinders in order: a Maroon 94 XE 4x4, a blue 93 XE 4x4, another blue 94 XE 4x4, a Maroon 95 XE 4x4, a Red 95 XE 4x4, a White 94 SE 4x4, a Maroon 94 SE 4x4, a White 95 XE 4x4, a Blue 05 SE 4x4 Offroad, a Dark Green (hence GreenEnvy94Pathy) 94 SE 4x4, a Black 05 SE 4x4, a Red 95 SE 4x4, a Black 95 SE 4x4, a Maroon/Gray 89 SE 2 door 4x4, and what I have now a 2005 SE 4x4 (wifes) and my 1994 Dark Green SE 4x4.

Please don't take this as bragging because I am NOT. If I had kept some of these that were my favorites I could have saved myself A LOT OF MONEY! Its just that I go through fazes of wanting a nice expensive usually German car and then instantly want my old Pathfinder back.

I know that some of you have the same addiction to Pathfinders as I do... example SLICK at last count 4 currently, GRIM GREG with 2, ect. So it begs my question what is it about 10,15, even 20 year old Pathfinders that tug at our heart strings? My co-workers just don't get it. I drove my 94 today and parked it with all the Land Rovers, Tahoes, Audis, and Mercedes and they just don't get why I would rather drive a 13 year old SUV instead of my new 3 series BMW. My response?

Until you have had one, plowing through snow, mud, climbing a hill that the new Range Rover LR3 sitting next to me could only dream of, and starting up each and everyday without incident, than you just don't get it.

By the way I challenged the LR3 and a new Chevy Avalanche to a little fun in the hills... ya they backed down.

Have fun at the mall! :thumbsdown:

Edited by GreenEnvy94Pathy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap: @ ^^^^^

addiction is a very good word to describe the pathfinder. :beer: because once you get a pathy, you never want anything else.. if you do get anything else, you always stray back to the pathy.

I think the reason for my addiction started when i got Mini Me. I got her from a friend who was owed some $$ for some mechanical work, and so instead, the guy gave him a pathy... now, I've had nissans before, but hadn't even HEARD of a pathy before then, or probably had, but never took much notice for some reason.

I test drove her.. she pulled slightly to the right (she STILL does), when i slammed on the brakes, the right front locked up on me.. and it was love. :wub: I could tell she had an attitude from the get-go, and i admired that in her.

that was 4 years ago, and to this day, when i pull her motors, or do any work to her, she gives me that attitude... and as much as i cuss at her, call her names, and sometimes kick her (yeah, i know.. don't ask!), and she refuses to give in... hence her name "mini me".. that truck is a 'vehicular me", i still love that truck .. til death do us part. (or i lose ym job, and have no more $$ to spend on her)!! :lmao:

now... i was happy chuggin along with just mini, but being my DD, i could never push her wheelin.. and i LOVE wheelin, reason i had a jeep... (i had mini & my jeep for 2 years together before i sold the jeep).. so i started looking for something i could "work with" and modify.. i found king down the road from Dave's house... he had been sitting in dudes yard for 6 years... he couldn't get him to pass smog... or whatever... so, $1k later.. we drove him home. :wub: x2 then... but mini was still the head biotch.

then, i decided, i loved my 2 kids so much, i HAD to have a parts pig to share bits n pieces amongst the 2... so the hunt began...

i found a few, but nothing jumped out at me.. until.... i found piglet near my work... she was perfect... she was just sorry... blown motor, so many new parts.. i HAD to have her.. so home she went.

then..... mark decided i OCULD have shadow.. so i wasn't going to pass that up, so off to mark's house here in town i went, and picked up shadow.. who is now the ONLY parts pig i actually have! lol.

I decided piglet is too nice a truck to part out or junk, so she is being brought back to life for a friend of mine's son.

now i find myself looking AGAIN on craigs list..... when will this addiction stop?

i fear NEVER! :jig:

oh, and i think the addiction starts with their uber awesome cornering stability, and their amazing STOCK off road capabilities... then you realize, these trucks are CHEAP compared to the yota 4 runners... then you realize broken down pathy's are SUPER cheap.... then you realize they are even BETTER modified.... then you judt completely fall in love with the "all round vehicle". any weather, any terrain, your pathy's got your back.... and your ass. :wiggle:

Edited by Slick

your pathy's got your back.... and your ass. :wiggle:

Slick... that says it all. I, I think I love you! Boy if I was not married, you would be in trouble :puterpunch:

:laugh::beer: don't let dave hear ya say that! lmao. :itsallgood:

and admit it.. you screw up.. what keeps you safe? your PATHY. you can over steer, smash the gas and stay between the navigational beacons, slide on black ice, smack a sound wall, and never wake the baby sleeping in the back, make a whoopsee off road, and not flip over....... the list is endless to what a pathy will tolerate over any other suv/wheeler i've owned.

they are truly amazing little trucks. god bless them! (and their low CoG!!)

Edited by Slick

their amazing STOCK off road capabilities... then you realize, these trucks are CHEAP compared to the yota 4 runners... then you realize broken down pathy's are SUPER cheap.... then you realize they are even BETTER modified.... then you judt completely fall in love with the "all round vehicle". any weather, any terrain, your pathy's got your back.... and your ass. :wiggle:

this is why i like pathys, and just how updated they were for there time (1988) auto hubs ajustable shocks power everything stock alarm, even know most of it is outdated and crap now, the idea that they thought of that almost 20 years ago is awsome.

Well said Slick :clap:

I :wub: My Pathfinder and wouldn't have anything else. Love the looks,those big flared guards. One of my brothers said "The Pajero's got it (his mall crawler), but the Pathfinder hasn't" Now I don't know what "IT" is, but if his Paj has "IT" and my Pathy doesn't then I don't want "IT" :lol:

Most of the Terrano's round here are Diesel so some people get a bit pi$$ed when my dirt covered 4x4 burns their "moms car" at the lights (not that I do it often)

Another good point about Pathfinders....The people that drive them :D Slick,Red,88,Big D,Pezzy,Simon the list goes on.

Thanks Nissan :beer:

I agree 100%. I realise after buying my last vehicle that I should have gone back in model years and bought a Pathy instead of the Ice cream delivery truck I bought (nice and shinny, but not really a true 4X4).

One thing I am kinda curious about is if all Pathys are that addictive or just the WD21s. Now before the R50 owners jump at me here. I typically pay more attention to the WD21 posts because I know them best and I'm not saying this because I want to runn them down. If that was the case I'd be saying that 4 doors are more addictive than two doors.......oops did I say that out louud?

I'm just curious, is there as much loyalty amongst R50s as amongst WD21 owners?

I'm sure that loyalty depends on the owner, just as it does with the WD's. I know Pezzy and Dan love theirs....as well as Dean. You just don't see as much multiple R50 ownership, probably due to the increased cost of them.

It's funny... years ago we were at the ski hill, and Nissan had an event going on there, they were showing off the newest version of the pathy (Likely my 99.5) And they had a course set up - up the hill around the corner, in deep snow, all offroad... was really fun, and I really liked the truck. But I'd never be able to afford something nice like that one. I noticed sometime later, a woman who had a WD21 traded her old box for a newer R50, and I was jealous...

I never thought much of the WD21's, much to boxy looking, didnt do a thing for me.

Years later my puttputt needs to be replaced, I get my pathy (which I'll never be able to afford! LOL But did with the help of the bank, and later more help from no longer owning a house, and saving up!) and I find this board... I love my pathy, and would still say I like they styling of the R50 best, but wow the WD21 has grown on me... (yes Casey, I like them, but I'm still not buying the replacement part!) I think seeing them done up, flexing out, and showing off what they can do has really changed my opinion of that boxy truck that once sat outside the front door at work.

I would agree, it's likely a cost thing, R50's are not cheap if you want to start collecting the whole set! So I only have one -- but I'm still addicted -- I rearranged my life to be with a pathy owner so I could have a 2nd pathfinder in my life!! :tongue:

I spend more money on my pathy than I do on the girlfriend. I guess it's ok because the pathy deserves it; it doesn't bitch at me, it's almost 21, and doesn't make me cuddle. P... I have the oldest truck out of all my buddies and it looks better than most of theirs, the only time it broke down on me is when the battery died or a terminal was loose, while they break driveshafts, get holes in radiators, loose transmissions, etc. and I can go through almost everything they can with 33's and 35's on their toyota's.

on that note I have to go finish installing my bull bar and KC's for tonight :D

OK, so here's my pathy story.

My grandparents live in a wooded lodge called the Midforest Lodge. It's all dirt trails up there and most of it not taken care of. Now, they've had this pathfinder since before I was born and they use it for cruising those trails. I remember sitting in the front seat next to my grandpa frantically telling him to aim for the mud puddles. I was just so wide-eyed at the time that that truck could get through all of that (with mud splashing over the windshield) in 2 wheel drive! He rarely stuck it in 4wd. I even had a hot wheels car that was an 87 nissan pathfinder which is since...lost. Then I was getting older and was learning how to drive. when we would go up to visit my grandparents, I would beg them to take us for a trip in "the nissan" (to this day we call it "the nissan") and he would now let me drive it. It was the truck I learned how to drive a manual in. then it started leaking coolent into the oil and oil onto the ground. My grandpa was going to haul it to the scrapyard but my grandma offered it to me for $1. I couldn't refuse (being 14 and all) and $1200 later and a new head (it had a cracked head) it was good as new and I drive it everywhere to school and such. I don't know how I will ever part with it. Actually before I got my license I would drive it in the sand pits behind my house and never ever got stuck and that was before I replaced the street tires that were on it with atr's.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share my sentimental story with everyone.

Edited by Mattman30

Why do I like Pathfinders.... Back in 1986 I saw that Pathfinder Commercial of them bouncing through the Mud in Brazil... At that time I was in the AirForce driving a 1982 FJ40... Every time I saw a Pathfinder I wanted one... I got my 88 in 1990....

In the 17 years I have had a Pathfinder it has only left me stranded once to where I had to walk out(Dam Sink Hole) I drove it out of that hole in the morning. I have had a couple of starter issues and one blown timing belts(my own fault for not changing it when I had the chance and when it was suggested)

I dont know how it is, but I can not recall ever even sitting in a R50, looked in a few... I know for a fact i have not sat in a 05 or newer.... The 08's with the V8 I may have to bite the Bullet....

By the way I challenged the LR3 and a new Chevy Avalanche to a little fun in the hills... ya they backed down.

Have fun at the mall!

I am Happy to take on all Challenges off Road against those guys...

Like when Jessica went camping and the BF left his 2006 Ford F250 with the 8" on lift in the paved parking lot and they drove the 92 up the foot path to the lake....

And then the rational part of it:

Why do we have 4 WD's in the family? Keep in mind, these are all "relative" to the competion... no vehicle is perfect.

- Used ones are incredibly underappreciated and inexpensive

- Reliable

- Durable

- Capable

- Low insurance and registration costs

- Reasonable maintenance costs

- Easy to work on

- Comfortable

- Decent handling

- Warts are few and easily addressed

- Not just another pathetic sheep following the herd....

All in all, they just do more for less!

Edited by mws

Or inside it..... (as in, drive it :aok:)

I just like that I'm not like everyone else on the trails. I've got something different, and I typically surprise most Jeepers with the Pathy's capabilities.

Also, it's comfy enough to drive every day, I can load it full of all kinds of stuff for camping, or anything else for that matter.

I thought the same as you did before getting a real close look at the R50's. Since working on Pezzy's, and seeing it in action, I've gained a whole new respect for them.

I typically surprise most Jeepers with the Pathy's capabilities.

Try it in a grocery gettin R50 on AT's!! I love prooving people wrong about my truck!

True enough, I've been out with the "unofficial" Jeep club a few times(some of my friends are in the Jeep club and it can't be an official Jeep meet if "others" are with them).

I have heard the initial "hmmm....stock Pathfinder....okidoki" comments that turn into later....."wow, I'm surprised you could make it through there and tow us out" coments. Ah just writing that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :tongue:

And another thing is the space in the back seat. You've got to go pretty far to see a passenger car(even full size) have as much leg room in the back seat as the WD21.

If I bought a Nissan 4x4 newer than 95, it would be a Hardbody or Frontier only. I've seen and worked on R50s, no thanks. 05+ Yeah, they have a frame again, but otherwise they ruined any ability it could have had.

Maybe its the gobs of horsepower you get from the VG or the fact it has more aftermarket support than any other 4x4 out there. Perhaps its the wicked travel you get from the IFS. Whatever, its just a cool little truck! Looks good, runs forever and can spar with "built" rigs that cost three times as much.

I have to agree with slick on why we love our pathy's. I've put her through hell and she has gotten me out. I got to a point of almost flipping over, and she maintained her ground. Everytime I look at her, I can't help but admire her looks. Even when shes all dirty it still looks cool. When I clean her up, man I fall in love all over again. I see jeepers around here and to me it just doesn't compare to my pathy. Sure they have a hell of a lot more aftermarket support, but when you see the stuff people do to mod their trucks up and compare that to a jeep, there is no competition. Now if you excuse me I am about to do her oil change.

funny you should say that SS..... for i had mini me AND my 90 wrangler at the same time... yes, i used to take BOTH trucks wheelin.. funny, when i would start off with the jeep, i was COOL... when i would park the jeep n grab mini.. attitudes CHANGED... until.......... they saw what she could do totally STOCK... why do i own 4 pathy's and NO JEEPS now? it's quite obvious.

i spent $4200 buying everything i needed to SoA my jeep.. plus rims n tires.... my jeep already had a 6" susp lift and 33's... and yet that wasn't enough to make it superior to my stock pathy.... i sold EVERYTHING, including the jeep (which i really did love, but not as much as mini me), and now am a proud owner of 4 pathy's, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

my baby has towed our 18'6" boat, taken us out to nice dinners, hauled my nephew, 4 of my 6' + friends, plowed through mud holes, got me to work everyday, saved my ass when a stupid driver cuts me up, and yet, she NEVER complains... she just chugs along, sick, sorry or looking supremely spectacular, and i love my baby(s) for that.

my jeep? well, it looked good, and was lots of fun in summer... for l@@ks and a good sun tan.

as for R-50's.. well, never driven one, and the body style really does nothing for me, but i admire their strong points over the WD's, and i think one day, R-50 owners will feel as we WD owners feel now.

:wub: ty nissan.

Edited by Slick