Bridgestone Dueler At Revo's...

DJ Dank

So after about 30k miles I have a good overall feeling of how these tires have treated me these past few years. My final consensus on these tires is that I will probably try the Geolander's as my next AT tire. Today, after driving about 20 miles on washboard gravel roads up to the Boulder River, I realized that one of the rocks found its way in between one of the tread marks and the rest is history. The worst part is that I was driving about 10 miles with it mostly flat before realizing anything was wrong. By then the sidewalls were pretty much paper thin and I could hear the air hissing from the pebble. When I finally pulled over, my lug wrench did not fit my lug nuts. The wrench was too big. We're in the middle of the no where, no cell service. Luckily, less than 1/4 mile up the road, there were a whole bunch of fire crews that had a road block set up and they happened to have a lug wrench that worked.

IMO the gaps between the treads are too wide and encourage rocks to get wedged up there and with the rubber in those gaps are MUCH thinner than the rubber that makes up the tread, its only a matter of time before this would happen. I noticed as the wear increased on the tire, so did the gaps between the tread.

Managed to find a used AT tire at the tire shop in town and $25 later, I was on my way.

IMG_1041.jpg

I thought my REVO's were tougher than this... :shrug: You can see how my alignment/camber was off after getting it aligned initially after the lift. The tread wear on the inside edge was very uneven. I had it realigned not even 2 weeks ago after getting my CV replaced.

IMG_1042.jpg

Bad angle but you can really see the bulging sidewall right in the middle of the pic and the whole sidewall is toast.

Edited by DJ Dank

LOL...the other side of the sidewalls, where the white letters are, are also pretty thrashed as well. I doubt that would have made a difference. I've been praising these tires since day one. This is the only time I've ever said anything negative about them. But for what its worth, these tires have gone through quite a lot and to have to replace one after all that, I guess I saw it coming but again, I would never have thought a little pebble would lead to the demise of this tire.

DJ, man.....with the tread, or lack thereof, any tire would have suffered the same fate. I wouldn't put that as a strike against that particular make/model of tire.

Pezzy's had hers on for 2.5 years, and had to replace 1 because of a cut sidewall. That's with a LOT of wheeling, and most of it not easy. She's beat on them pretty hard, and they've held up well, not to mention, gone through everything, and been good in the winter to boot!

DJ, man.....with the tread, or lack thereof, any tire would have suffered the same fate. I wouldn't put that as a strike against that particular make/model of tire.

I agree with you somewhat but the gaps that are between the treads are particularly larger than the average AT tire IMO, especially after 30k miles. Like I said, I was kind of expecting that something was going to happen soon after all these tires have been through.

Pezzy's had hers on for 2.5 years, and had to replace 1 because of a cut sidewall. That's with a LOT of wheeling, and most of it not easy. She's beat on them pretty hard, and they've held up well, not to mention, gone through everything, and been good in the winter to boot!

Yes I agree about the winters. They were great through the snow and pretty decent on ice. I've always praised these tires. Its just one of those unfortunate situations.

Yeah, they do have large gaps between the lugs, which is what makes them decent off road, similar to a mud tire...though, not to the same extent.

Anyways, sorry you cooked one, but I'd go with another set if I were you, or at least, a pair, to replace that one, and the other one that was on the front that's worn unevenly.

You may also want to look at the new Michelin LTX AT2 Light Truck Tire.

michelin_ltx_jb_23-5426.jpg

You can check out a review here: Michelin LTX review

It is a direct competitor for the both the Goodyear Wrangler SA and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo.

Some thoughts from the review:

"The Michelin LTX A/T2 tire is targeted at a market where the buyers are tire savvy. They own a light truck or SUV and are willing to pay a premium for the ability to have both great on and off-road performance. Typically, these buyers are also seeking a tire that is durable and has the ability to carry heavy loads. Last, but not least, light truck tire buyers are looking for an aesthetically-pleasing tire, something that says "I like to go off-roading": a tire that looks rough and tough but still rides quietly on the highway."

It's funny you mention how the REVO's pick up gravel so well. I've had my REVO's for about a month now, and I absolutely love them. However, I was parking my Pathy in my gravel RV parking on the side of my house - I had to quit doing that because the tires kept stealing all my gravel and dispersing it down the street. DOH! Oh well, the tires are more than worth it.

:clap::aok: Well said

I didn't really wanna poke my head in here, but hey I'm here :D

A tyre gets 90% of it's punctures in the last 10% of it's life.

I've seen some really strange things go through tyres, Power plugs, garden forks, sissors, A piece of 1" box steel a foot long.

The best thing about my mud tyres is that they don't pick up small stones......The worst thing is they pick up BIG stones instead :lol:

As DJ said the gaps are bigger than your average A/T. The idea behind it was to give good street handling (More rubber making contact with the road than a mud tyre) but at the same time giving good offroad performance. Kinda like my old KLR650. Someone said "As and offroad bike they're bad, as a road bike they're bad, as a bike that can do both at the same time they're great"

Good luck with the Geo's DJ :beer:

I have them with around 30k miles on them and I have a hell of a lot more tread left than you. However, I have not taken them off road. I like the tires but I thought that they would have been better in the snow. I'm gonna try the BF Goodrich next.