Engine upgrades

Guest Will Snedigar

Guest zipo1200

Well i have to admit the VG30 isnt the best engine out there and deffinatly loves to suckle that gas. After a complete rebuild of the vg30 and a good ol race with one of the ricer honda's. the transmission went. hahaha, but completly tore it off the line.

if u looking for more hp there is pissibilities out there and a supercharger being the only preformace bang for your buck. i noticed a few of u are wondering what would fit, well your in luck. i have a friend down on the east side of canada that completly successfuly installed one. and i am sure that i read a qoute which was right .....there is a complete belt reprocedure....which was a pain. 65 more hp from that. i give yeah guys a link where he got it from.

anyways back to my story, anyone get a knocking in there block????

yeah okey first things first yeah got to take it out.....lots of fun eh guys?

opebn the oil pan and take the rod bearings out, nope. wasnt them *shakes head* so WTF!!! hahaha. i still pullin it apart to find out what it was...ergh

aight preformance upgrates. from being a Nissan fan for a while from, the pathies, to the silvia's and skyliners i learned that some mods can be attached to gain boost and "off line" preformance.

one egnition wires, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter should be checked out, ph and spitty fuel injectors dont help if your trying to get a proper idle.

i changed the sparks, egnition system to a plasma egnition system ( more jolt to the plugs, and works quad, spits 4 times before the pistion goes down) i managed to get an oval K&N adapter to go on the K&N cold air intake, Vacume Hoses (god those things are a pain in the hiney) everyone replaced and a nice blue to go with the blue air filter. new paint and all on the engine. i gonna show pick when i get a camera. with about a good 3 grand on the engine, its new, rehomed, and everything, including a chip (which i walked in asked "can u make it better?" "YUP" Then do it kinda thing, so i dont know exacts.All that said and done the engine deffinatly gave of a roar when it started.

Next the transmission, yeah just pulled it out. what a mess, every clutch burnt. i suggest if u guys are not offroading yet more on the highway. get a professional to take a look at yours now ( by professional) if it never has been.

new clutches new valves, that can handle a lot more pressure and new tubing for the trani cooler system. (hopefully it never goes again)

for the exhuast, well.....thats completly up to you, but putting a nice magnaflow system on there gives your pathy a more aggressive sound,......thats if you cooler fan isnt ( i vote for the electrical as well)

these upgrades dont make your suv into a corvette, but certainly kill a few ricers that anoy the heck out of u.

i will post back again on the super charger, i am sure a few of u may be looking for a bolt on as much as i am.

thumbs up for those who can burn there tires like my 87 Se -bounce-

Closing out my day @ work, I jumped on AC's site and pulled all the perfomance items for the 2drs. For about $1100 + Labor, you can do the pc, exhaust, kn, headers, & fan; all this gives you about 47 more hp (according to their info). So for about $23 bucks per HP, you are 200+. Let me know how it goes.

yea, really dissapointing.. the VG30 is a pitiful engine indeed.. weak and darn thirsty.. i got like 205 miles on a tank! well.. maybe a 350 would work well but, new trans, t case, diffs... :oops:

pitiful you say? the engine is not pitiful, its just that we early guys have the less desireable vg30i.. did you know that if you want to put the money into it, you can have a 500hp vg30? or the vg30dett was in the fastest production car on its debute? we all have complaints about our pathy's performance, but to say that its' pitiful is not very accurate, as for a 350 swap, think about the power to weight ratio and how much money you will actully spend droping in a small block.. or lets see.. 300zx twin turbo from a junk yard and wire harness and computer.. what did they put out? somewere in the vacinity of 300 hp? (don't quote me on that number just know its in the ballpark)

A VG30DETT will not fit into a Pathy's engine bay without MAJOR reworking of the fenderwells and firewall. Too wide, too many different accessories. It's been thought of before, and only one person's ever done it...to a HB pickup. It was in France by some rich dude.

http://www.geocities.com/jpvmlichttotobal/300ZXKingCAb.html

A VG30DETT will not fit into a Pathy's engine bay without MAJOR reworking of the fenderwells and firewall. Too wide, too many different accessories. It's been thought of before, and only one person's ever done it...to a HB pickup. It was in France by some rich dude.

http://www.geocities.com/jpvmlichttotobal/300ZXKingCAb.html

no argument about that 88 it just gets me when people call the VG30 pathetic or pitiful, how often do you see a 350 (not that it is a bad engine at all) with 250k miles on it and not even burn oil?

as far as no replacement for dispacement, its not 1970 anymore

realistically, larger displacement engines do not need to be so fine tuned or high strung and can be calmer and more powerful through the whole powerband.. sure, you can supermod your VG30 to make as much power as a 350 and make 350 HP between 6000 and 6500 rpm.. when youre offroad youre not always gonna be at 6000-6500 rpm..

or am i lost in 1973???

your lost .. .hehe ... just kidding ... I think that as long as our engines are reliable, who cares ... I think gearing should be the first place people look anyways ... when we put larger tires on our stock gears, we aren't helping matters at all as far as torque are concerned ...

IMO - as if anybody cared - the power from the stock vg30's is just fine for what our rigs are capable of ...

well jeep, you might be lost in 1973 but we'll let you decide (just jokeing) and i do tend to agree with you on a 350 not requireing to be as high strung. anyway. At the end of the day its all personal preferance. But to swap in a 350 and keep your pathy reliable would be a real chore. not only for all the drive trane mods, but your suspension will go to hell pretty fast as well.

So anyway lets get some serious power here and build a stroked 383 and drop it in there, so we can break some axles :cool2: or even the new chev small block 450 (I think it was maybe it was 430), I just read about that one in a new mag

even the real serious mudders... Dana 60 axles.. gm 14 bolt difffs beefy u joints... you want badass?? you gotta pay for badass..

thats why the pathy is gonna stay at 33s.. im gonna watch badass break in the mud from the littlel hill i climbed! HA HA HA!

bottom line.. pathys are made for our lil VG30.. thats it!

Yeah, but when regearing costs you as much as a whole replacement axle for a domestic rig, it tends to make a person want to do other things first.

yep ... it is all a coin toss ... all depends on how radical a guy wants to go with it ... kinda like the Jeep Liberty I saw in some magazine that was all tricked out with coilovers, solid axel, lockers .. .the list goes on ... I guess it can be as good as your pocket is deep ... mine are sticking out

Ive just been following this with interest.

So why not just do intake and exhaust, and then a Link or Link plus computer, from there you can dyno it and program all the fuel and ingnition curves to suit, you could even get and airflow meter controller.

These are all really simple and not that expensive to do, it may not make that HP figure much bigger, but you will deffinatly notice increase to throttle response, torque and spread of power through the rev range. I havn't driven many V6's, but from what i have noticed is that they only really work in a certain rev range, top end they drop off and the bottom end is pretty dead, by altering all the curves on a dyno with the link, you can get her working at her best.

Anyway, just what i would do if more power was what i was after.

Pete.

Guest Will Snedigar

Well I did it. I just mailed $400.00 to florida so I can get a set of tripple nickle plated headers for the "finder".

So I have heard all the horror stories about how it took five hours to installand all that but I am going to try to do it in two!

Yeah I ordered them from A/C.

I need to try to get my hands on a digital camera so I can send some pics, I feel so left out. :dance:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hte thorleys are hitting the drivetrain

Maybe that's why mine sounds like something is vibrating when I take my foot of the gas or when it's idling. When I have my foot on the gas, it is ok.

• 1 month later...

how about switching to the MPI setup? wiring harness, intake and plenum, all the injectors and crap....i bought a 92 pathy for parts for this same reason, although i haven't started the project, there is major power gain for cheap right there, just takes a little time. 200hp at the wheels with whatever tq sounds good to me. and i think headers shouldn't be counted as a performance upgrade, they are just a maint. item because the factory manifolds SUCK. I have access to a mustang dyno for free(firends kick ass), so there will be dyno numbers(weight and load simulated)before and after. I'll be dyno'ing my 89 5 spd right after i get the front end back together. :)