Tranny Quit Pulling All At Once, No Go In All Gears

bigtimemcc

Hey guys, I have been working on this 93 Pathy 4x4 automatic for a couple of months now working out all the bugs.

I was coming back from a fishing trip yestarday when my transmission crapped out on me. I was turning onto the highway on-ramp when it happened. It went to kick down and when it did it made pop sound (not loud) and then it was like the transmission was dissconnected from the motor. It will not move in any gear, wont even try. It also makes a "whirring" noise no matter if it is in park, drive, reverse, or nuetral.

I had this happen once before in another ride, and it was the torque converter. Has anyone had this happen to them? My pathy has 133,000 miles on it. I thought usually when the tranny starts getting weak it will start to slip, lose reverse or a different gear.

I let it sit overnight before I pulled it back to the shop. I thought maybe I'd try it again since it cooled off, but there is no change. It's like the tranny isn't even there. No movement, no clunks from shifting into gear, nothing.

I've had trannys burn up, but they would always "try" to go in gear or slip under acceleration.

If this thing needs a new tranny, I think I may just set fire to it. If it needs a new torque converter I can probably handle that, although, I have never worked on a 4x4 tranny.

How difficult is it to install a new TC, and what all should I look forward to in this process.

My thoughts: unhook linkage, remove bell housing bolts, drop the drive shaft in the rear, undo the cross member and tranny mounts, unbolt the TC from the flywheel, slide the tranny back, pull of the old TC, put in the new one and put it all back together...Does that sound right?

Do I have to do anything to the transfer case or the front drive shaft?

I can work on a car, so dont sugar coat anything.....I can take it.

Thanks guys!!!

Mine did the same thing (without the pop though) and a friend convinced me to clean the filter and replace the oil in the tranny (the filter was plug pretty good and the oil had a fair bit of sludge). I did so with a little pesimism, but to my surprise it worked, it even got rid of my chatter. It was a lot cheaper than dropping the tranny to check the torque or replace the tranny altogether.

Just drop the pan and check to see how clogged the filter is. I was able to drop the pan without taking the Y pipe out, but I also used a 4 foot "persuader" with one guy pulling while I slid the pan out. At this point it's only going to cost you your time and it might just save you from buying a tranny.

Oh and BTW there's been about 25K miles put on the tranny so far with no hint of quiting.

Denis

Edited by denisb

Thanks, I will try the filter and fluid first. Couldnt hurt right?

How would you tell if it was the pump or the converter? Just replace it and see? That sounds more difficult and expensive to me, should I take this thing to a shop? Burn it?

If you have a shop that you can trust...maybe, but most shops will say it's toast please insert $2000 in our till before we proceed. I blew a tranny hose on my tranny cooler before and fluid was gushing. As 88 said, if no fluid is coming out, your pump is probably toast. Just remember that a clogged filter will also make it look like a bad pump restricting flow.

Denis

and i am guessing you didn't pull the dipstick? what's the ATF looking like? that's where i'd start before any of the other hassles.

as to moving the tranny, yeah, you go it but it's a B. these trannies are freaking heavy as hell. rent a trans. jack. it makes this way, way easier. since this is a 4x4 you also have a TC (see below) to deal with.. it will have to be separated from one of the places.. either the tranny or the front diff.

at 130+ the tranny could also be toast especially if you don't have the external tranny cooler modification. that's how it "sounded" when mine went on the old truck.

btw. around here TC = transfer case. since we hardly talk about the torque conv. make up your own short. maybe tqc or something.. eh?

btw. around here TC = transfer case. since we hardly talk about the torque conv. make up your own short. maybe tqc or something.. eh?

Oh my bad. I dont know these acronyms too well, LOL. ROFLMAO

I will work on the truck more tomorrow, will check stick, pull off line and make sure fluid sprays everywhere when running, if not then I will check the filter and try again. If there was blockage I will see if a new filter and fluid fixes it, if not I will put a new converter (T#^%* C@#^%&) in and maybe that will do.

I also got a cooler for it today. So if I get it working I will definately install it ASAP.

You guys are a huge help, thanks for tolerating my ignorance.

I have read the post so far and I agree with the suggestions made for checking things out. However with your noise then failure. I am going to guess you snapped the input shaft. These are a weak compotent in the Nissan auto tranny. They are not a hard part to fix, however once you have the tranny accessable there are other things that should be done.

Edited by lgranch

I have read the post so far and I agree with the suggestions made for checking things out. However with your noise then failure. I am going to guess you snapped the input shaft. These are a weak compotent in the Nissan auto tranny. They are not a hard part to fix, however once you have the tranny accessable there are other things that should be done.

Yes, I've had a peek at a few of those that have snapped.

If it happens to be the torque converter, you can ask if the replacement has hardened splines - those tend to strip out too.

I had a minute today and looked for the tranny lines to the radiator and couldn't find them. I also noticed that there is cooler attached to the front of my radiator, is that for the power steering or has someone already put a tranny cooler on?

If it is for the power steering, can I use it for the tranny cooler? PS cooler seems like a waste.

Yes, I've had a peek at a few of those that have snapped.

If it happens to be the torque converter, you can ask if the replacement has hardened splines - those tend to strip out too.

Excellent point Mookie. The converters will rip out the splines as well. I am basing my diagnosis on the pop sound then immediately nothing.

Excellent point Mookie. The converters will rip out the splines as well. I am basing my diagnosis on the pop sound then immediately nothing.

I'm with you on that..."pop" goes that shaft!

That should be the tranny cooler in front of the rad.

yeah, most likely anyway. follow the lines from that cooler and see where they end up. the stock lines go to the side of the regular radiator where there is an integral cooler for the AT.

Ok, the tranny cooler has already been installed. Lines have been cut off at the bottom of radiator.

I unhooked one of the cooler lines, started it up and it shot tranny fluid everywhere in just a matter of a few seconds.

So I guess I am looking at a Torque Converter/ input shaft problem. I was looking at the breakdown for R&R of the tranny in the manual. Everything looked as I had planned but it called for removing the gusset.

I have no idea what a gusset is. There is no picture or description. I'm sure its a common part that they call by a funny name, but I dont know. Is it a mount, crossmember, or something like that?

I have to order the Torque converter tomorrow, should take about a week to get here. If I do happen to need a new input shaft, where would I get one and how much should I expect to pay? Hopefully its not a junkyard special because I would hate to have to drop a tranny out of a donar just for that.

Edited by bigtimemcc

It's a big flat plate that goes between the engine and trans. I would tear into the tranny before buying parts, it may still be something internal.

The gusset is the flat plate?

I am not very tranny literate. I helped a guy rebuilt the TH350 from my impala on the tailgate of my truck, but thats all my experience. I dont know what to look for as far as wear and such. I talked to a Nissan mechanic today and he said it sounded like the splines stripped out of the converter. I think I am going to replace the converter, filter and flush the lines.

Anything I should do while I have the tranny out? Anything to check for wear?

BTW 88, that pathy of yours is friggen awesome. How much did that lift cost ya? And does removing the sway bar make the truck unsafe for daily driving?

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but my pathfinder did the samething today... but out of curiosity, where can i get a tc from? i tried checking napa and checkers online but they have no listing.. maybe it's an online thing and have to call for the part...

thanks..