Timing Problem

ray1270

I have a 89 nissan in great shape...It wasn't running so hot all the time though, and i found that I had a loose connection to my air flow meter.........my timing is off a little too on the distribator....any suggestions on how to time it correctly by ear.........also was wondering what the idle switch does on the back of the throttle body........because my electrical connections are a little bad there also.........I also would like to know how much of a difference headers make in the performance of the motor......and if there is any cheap modifications i should make....i gotta 3.0 v6, automatic 4wd........thank you all and look forward to learning and talking more .....i will be posting pics right of the bat......

You cannot time that engine by ear. Timing by ear is imprecise at best. Get a timing light, they're cheap.

That's not an idle switch, that's the throttle position sensor, IIRC.

Consider investing in a return key, so that your posts are more legible.

i disagree, timig by ear is the way to go. just keep tweaking it one way or the other untill you get super smooth engine when you pull on the linkage. anything but smooth is out of time (backfires, dieseling, etc.. )

Except that then you have limited the automatic adjusment that the computer does. Timing by ear was fine back in the 1960s, when you had points and condensors and merely mechanical or vacuum advance. When a computer is altering the timing, timing by ear is not acceptable.

With the Nissan ECCS ignition system, you set the *base* timing of the system, and the computer takes care of the rest. Your base timing has to be accurate, or you'll get pinging/predetonatioon or burn a hole in a piston (worst case scenario)

Edited by GhostPath

You will be fine timing it by ear. Oh and where do I buy this "Return" key? My keyboard only has then "Enter" key. Can not even tell you the last time I used it while replying on this forum