Straight Pipe

hi i just put on some thorley headers and am about to straght pipe it but i was wondering what do i do with my 02 sensor. btw i drive an 88 with the v6 and dont have to pass any emissions. can i just rip it out and deal with a check engine light?

Cut the old O2 sensor bung out of the old exhaust and weld it into the new one in roughly the same place, after the y-pipe. Don't use large-diameter pipe if you're not going to run a muffler, 2 1/4" max would be my guess. It needs SOME backpressure or it will actually hurt performance, which I'm guessing is why you put headers on in the first place... ;)

thanks guys, hey 88pathoffroad i like your idea about relocating 02 bung but if i put it back right behind the y pipe wouldn't the increased flow and heat just fry my brand new 02 sensor? what would happen if i just moved it farther down the pipe, maybe behind the muffler and extended the wires?

Yeah, I suspect the straight pipe will last about a week! Some engines sound good when loud (most v8's, v12's, V16's, I3's, 90 degree V2's, V4's with 360 crank, most radials), but for the most part, low rpm 4's and 6's sound, well, horrible. Kinda like a goat being violated by an elephant....

Kinda like a goat being violated by an elephant....

Now there is a sound clip you won't find too easily.....

I don't know the reasoning for the straight pipe, but I would highly doubt it's for tonal qualities.

your truck will sound like ass if you strait pipe it. mine did atleast. and I hope you dont go on any trails with the boys. within the first 5 min they will HATE you! and you will more then likely hate it too. I got annoyed with my flow 40 let alone strait pipe. just my opinion