I Think I Got A Lemon

OK guys, help me out here.

Nearly 2 months ago I was the proud new owner of a brand-spankin' new SE Pathfinder. Now, I'm the disappointed owner of a 2 month old pathfinder that seems to be falling apart. water has been soaking into the passenger-side floor board for a couple weeks now, and I had to go out of town last week before I was able to take it back to the dealership. So, now it smells awful, and I'm pretty sure the carpet will have to be replaced. The water is coming from the A/C, and changing the settings on the A/C doesn't seem to change the results. Well, today I took it to the dealership to get the oil changed and have the problem checked. I had to make an appointment to spend my day off having my brand new pathfinder repaired...I should be spending my day off PLAYING in my new Pathfinder!!! Well, as I was leaving, another gentleman stormed into the dealership absolutely furious that his 1 month old pathfinder was doing the same thing. Turns out, he's heard the same complaint from several others, and so had the shop manager!!!!

So, there's obviously some problem with the new pathfinders for which there isn't yet a solution. On top of all that, the back driver's side door handle doesn't always work; my back seat doesn't fold properly; when I flip up the back seats to let in passengers to the third row, there's a little piece of plastic that has managed to rip the leather on the back of the front seats.; the $2000 PREMIUM sound system pretty much sucks; the iPod adapter I payed an extra $350 for hasn't worked since I bought the vehicle; Oh...and the gas mileage is way worse than what I was getting in my much larger, much more powerful tahoe!!!

I called the dealership from whom I purchased my pathfinder and told them of the problems I was having, and that I was ready to bring it back to them for a refund. I shouldn't have to continue paying for a product that has some obvious problems that seem far from being solved. I'm sure the dealership will probably tell me they can't give me a refund, but it doesn't seem fair that my vehicle is depriciating at an astounding rate because of some poor craftsmanship, and then I'm just going to have to chalk it up to bad luck. Has anyone else had any similar problems?

I originally took my pathfinder back to the dealership to have the iPod connector removed because a local stereo shop informed me that none of the iPod connectors work properly. I also told them about the leak, and asked them to have it fixed. I waited for about two hours for the mechanic to come back and tell me that he had ordered a new iPod adapter (not what he was asked to do, nor what I was told would happen.) He also informed me that he thought the seal was bad around the passenger side door, so he had ordered a new seal, and I would have to return the following week to have it replaced. I'm not a mechanic, but it's obviously not the door seal! I'm heart-broken!!!! If this is the way Nissan is going to be, I don't want anything to do with them!!!!

Edited by huskyfargo

Sorry to hear that! Mine I got it a month ago and I haven't gotten any problems at all. It has rained very hard for a couple of weeks and I don't have any problems with water. Well if it's the seal around the door offcourse you gonna get water inside.Too bad that is happening to you.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You might want to do a quick search about lemon laws in your state. I think I remember something about a "three strike" kinda rule where they get three tries to fix a problem, then you have the option to return the vehicle. I'm sure there's more to it, but it may be worth investigating. Good luck.

if you are getting water on the passenger floor from your AC, it's probably your drain tube clogged with crud. You can either pull it apart from the inside or crawl under it, grab the tube and blow hard. Problem with the second is that all you will manage to do is dislodge it temporarily. Open the blower and clean your drip tray out.

Man, I am really sorry that you are going through this. That was the reason I got rid of that F-ing Land Rover. But the thing was, is that Land Rover has that reputation, which I learned after purchasing the Truck.

Now I got the wife a 2005 Off Road Pathy I haven't noticed any of those issues you have ( It is being checked out, by a friend at the Nissan Dealership). Hopefully, they can fix it right away and this is the only time you are bringing it there for warranty issues.

Mention to the dealer about the tube that comes from the drain pan.

I have also read, that there is document somewhere you can find out when your Pathy was built or finished. Meaning what day of the week. If it was on a Friday, you may have some problems with your pathy.

Nissans are some great vehicles, and that is through experience. Good Luck. I hope it gets fixed the right way.

UPDATE....It's getting worse!!!!

I took it in yesterday to get it's first little oil change (kinda like a child's first haircut)

Well, I pulled out of the garage this morning to find a puddle of oil underneath...probably about 2 quarts.

I've had it!!! I called the dealer and told him I'm bringing it back. That's 2 too many bad experiences with the Nissan service department in two months. Sorry guys, but I'm out...I'm going back to American made!

Let us know how it goes. I am curious as to how the dealer takes to you returning the vehicle. Best of luck.

I took it in yesterday to get it's first little oil change (kinda like a child's first haircut)

Well, I pulled out of the garage this morning to find a puddle of oil underneath...probably about 2 quarts.

I've had it!!! I called the dealer and told him I'm bringing it back. That's 2 too many bad experiences with the Nissan service department in two months. Sorry guys, but I'm out...I'm going back to American made!

Um... you already BOUGHT American made.

Your Pathfinder was made in Smyrna, Tennessee.

So, you're thinking about going Mexican or Canadian, then?

I suppose so...I never had any problems like this with the service and products I've owned from Chevy.

Um... you already BOUGHT American made.

Your Pathfinder was made in Smyrna, Tennessee.

So, you're thinking about going Mexican or Canadian, then?

Bummer man, although I haven't had any serious issues yet, they just don't seem to be built like the WDs. One thing I just noticed the other day was that my AC never seems to shut off...whether the light is lit or not, it blows cold air when the fan is turned on. The realization that you may have purchased a POS is a really bad feeling. Not a good sign that somebody is turning from Japanese to domestic for quality reasons!

I suppose so...I never had any problems like this with the service and products I've owned from Chevy.

Go look up "Cold Spark Knock".

I have owned many domestics. Few of them have been any good whatsoever in the long haul.

And my 1987 Jaguar XJ6 is more reliable than most of my neighbors' domestics. Which is sad, really.

I'd take it back and make them give me another one - everyone makes a lemon from time to time, even Rolls. Give them another chance, and then if that doesn't work out, change back.

Bummer man, although I haven't had any serious issues yet, they just don't seem to be built like the WDs. One thing I just noticed the other day was that my AC never seems to shut off...whether the light is lit or not, it blows cold air when the fan is turned on. The realization that you may have purchased a POS is a really bad feeling. Not a good sign that somebody is turning from Japanese to domestic for quality reasons!

The WD21s and R50s were all built in Kyushu, Japan. The R51 (05-up Pathfinders) are all built in Smyrna, TN.

Edited by GhostPath

Go look up "Cold Spark Knock".

I have owned many domestics. Few of them have been any good whatsoever in the long haul.

And my 1987 Jaguar XJ6 is more reliable than most of my neighbors' domestics. Which is sad, really.

That is so true. I had a 91 pathy that lasted us to 290K and my parents were the original owners. Now I have 2 Nissans and I am very happy now. I just had the Pathy checked out by Nissan, which one of my buddies is a technician there. And he said everything looked good and all the recalls were completed.

I am sorry you are going through all those troubles, I feel your pain. I had just went through this with our DISCO. But after doing research, after owning the Truck, turns out I wasn't the only one. So, yeah I got rid of it. But in your case I just think that you rolled the dice on a bad one. I think, if you got another one you would be much happier, that is if they replaced it. And I understand if you don't..Call the Nissan Corporation and what they can do..

have you tried another dealership? i wont go back to some beacuse of there parts/service department. As for the lemon law in my state i believe that if you have the same problem fixed three or more times its considered a lemon. just my .02

have you tried another dealership? i wont go back to some beacuse of there parts/service department. As for the lemon law in my state i believe that if you have the same problem fixed three or more times its considered a lemon. just my .02

That is a great idea. Try another dealership for the warranty work.

UPDATE!!!

I got my pathy back yesterday. They replaced the A/C condensor, the carpet, the back seat, the leather on the front seats, repaired the back door, and took out the iPod adapter. Everything seems great so far, so we'll see. Maybe I'll keep it, but I'm not going back to the dealership where I had my oil changed!

Buy an european model. Diesel, 174Bhp, 420 Hm, automatic 5 gears, 12L/100KM (21 MPG).

Price? "Only" 40.000 Euro for SE !! That means 52.000USD !!!Now what?

You shoud be happy with the prices you have there! And BTW we pay around 1,2 Euro/L for unleaded or 1 Euro/L for diesel. That means an equivalent price of 4,95 USD/gallon.

It seems that you should return the car to the dealer for a full refund or an exchange. Without any other comments. Or contact the manufacturer and file a complaint.

Edited by radudel

UPDATE!!!

I got my pathy back yesterday. They replaced the A/C condensor, the carpet, the back seat, the leather on the front seats, repaired the back door, and took out the iPod adapter. Everything seems great so far, so we'll see. Maybe I'll keep it, but I'm not going back to the dealership where I had my oil changed!

Good to hear everything got sorted out. I conduct reliability research, and quite often a car will have a few initial problems, then nothing else.