O2 Sensor Compatibility (different Years)

Slick

ok, so i used search, and nadda. tho I know there's something about this crap on here somewhere. i am short on time and patience. :tongue: and y'all love me . so wtf. hahaha :hide:

anyhoo, pulled piglets (88) o2 sensor, and she has 2 plugs (see pic)....... i wanted to use her almost new o2 sensor on king caca (91)..MPFi. but he only has 1 main plug, with red, white n black wires.

can i cut piglets black wire, toss that secondary (smaller) plug, and cut the blue wire n attach the black wire instead? will it work? i don't know much about the TBi's, so i am not 100% sure wtf that secondary plug does......

any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Slick

ok, so i used search, and nadda. tho I know there's something about this crap on here somewhere. i am short on time and patience. :tongue: and y'all love me . so wtf. hahaha :hide:

anyhoo, pulled piglets (88) o2 sensor, and she has 2 plugs (see pic)....... i wanted to use her almost new o2 sensor on king caca (91)..MPFi. but he only has 1 main plug, with red, white n black wires.

can i cut piglets black wire, toss that secondary (smaller) plug, and cut the blue wire n attach the black wire instead? will it work? i don't know much about the TBi's, so i am not 100% sure wtf that secondary plug does......

any help would be appreciated.

Sorry there Slick'o'rama that will not work. (I'll double check my book and send you the page) Nissan kepp changing the O2 sensor circuits in the early pathys. Somewhere around mid 94 to 95 they even changed the comand logic. When they did that they changed the size of the thread on the sensor so that you could not make a mistake. Now the 91 is OBD1. I am pretty sure that the 88 is slao however I do not think that it is a heated sensor.

One simple question are they both the same size thread???

I'll get back to you on the book pages.

Ok I just reviewed some data. I may have gotten the 2 different sensor backwards. Nissan used both zirconia and titania sensor. The Z type required a heater circuit and the T type did not. The problem is the years you are talking about are all when these changes were occuring. The T type used a 12 mm thread and the Z type an 18 mm thread. If the threads match then you should be able to use the O2 sensor. However each wire is used for different purposes. You can not just cut one and tie to together with another. The problem is you have a 4 wire tryin gto go into a 3 wire setup. The extra wire is a ground. If you follow the black wire in piglets harness you should discover that it is a ground. I am pretty sure that you could just leave the wire disconnected and the sensor should work. Also from the pic it appears as though this O2 sensor is contaminated. The white ring near the threads can be an indication of O2 sensor poisoning.

Ok I just reviewed some data. I may have gotten the 2 different sensor backwards. Nissan used both zirconia and titania sensor. The Z type required a heater circuit and the T type did not. The problem is the years you are talking about are all when these changes were occuring. The T type used a 12 mm thread and the Z type an 18 mm thread. If the threads match then you should be able to use the O2 sensor. However each wire is used for different purposes. You can not just cut one and tie to together with another. The problem is you have a 4 wire tryin gto go into a 3 wire setup. The extra wire is a ground. If you follow the black wire in piglets harness you should discover that it is a ground. I am pretty sure that you could just leave the wire disconnected and the sensor should work. Also from the pic it appears as though this O2 sensor is contaminated. The white ring near the threads can be an indication of O2 sensor poisoning.

wow, ok, so i am just better off buying a new o2 sensor and being done with it? thank you so much for oyur replies, that helps a lot, now and in the future.

btw.. what is "o2 sensor "poisoning"?

wow, ok, so i am just better off buying a new o2 sensor and being done with it? thank you so much for oyur replies, that helps a lot, now and in the future.

btw.. what is "o2 sensor "poisoning"?

O2 sensor poisoning is when the surface metal of the sensor is rendered in active. This can be from excessive carbon, or silicone from a gasket sealer. Once the surface of the metal is covered with this it no longer either generates the proper voltage or resistance that the ECM is looking for. This is refered to as poisoning. In some cases this can be cleaned in others the sensor is dead. A good site for technical data on emmission is TOMCO you can google that. They sell the sensor , but look up their tech pages. They have pictures and everything. You can get circuit diagrams and tricks to test the sensors also. I learned one from them the other day about using your body as a giant resistor to fool the signal of an O2 sensor into changing the injector mix. By doing this you can figure out if the sensor is working or not. Pretty neat trick.

O2 sensor poisoning is when the surface metal of the sensor is rendered in active. This can be from excessive carbon, or silicone from a gasket sealer. Once the surface of the metal is covered with this it no longer either generates the proper voltage or resistance that the ECM is looking for. This is refered to as poisoning. In some cases this can be cleaned in others the sensor is dead. A good site for technical data on emmission is TOMCO you can google that. They sell the sensor , but look up their tech pages. They have pictures and everything. You can get circuit diagrams and tricks to test the sensors also. I learned one from them the other day about using your body as a giant resistor to fool the signal of an O2 sensor into changing the injector mix. By doing this you can figure out if the sensor is working or not. Pretty neat trick.

cooooool. thanks!!!! yeah, it was barely in the tube, so that could have played a part......

• 2 weeks later...
Can i cut piglets black wire, toss that secondary (smaller) plug, and cut the blue wire n attach the black wire instead? will it work? i don't know much about the TBi's

k...i cant read and comprehend all of this right now...but i need a personal reference...i stripped it all back as im assuming Slick did...so if this doesnt work then thats my SES (b4 i read codes...that would make me happy) but now i gotta check codes this weekend...cuze thats what i did after not running an o2 and now i get a full time ses and prior to the splice i didnt get anything while it was running open loop

So in normal terms she has to just go buy a new 02 sensor? lol

WD21s will run in open loop without the sensor. I would be careful from the standpoint of offroad because you could load the motor and ruin the cat. Normal highway driving is going to be fine. As for new sensors, they are not really expensive. Some places will sell them for under $20. (internet) If someone needs a OBDII sensor (big thread 18 MM) just email me. I'll probably send it to you for the cost of USPS. (it is used and I believe it still works fine)

Oh and BTW when someone ask a questionI have assumed that they want a good tech answer. I know that sometimes I can get too tech. If you want a yes or no I can do that also, but then you have to believe that I know what I am talking about.

Edited by lgranch

New O2 sensors that fit and don't require wire splicing DO cost a lot. Mine ran $139 from a dealership. Cheapest direct-fit O2 sensor I've found for mine was $89, IIRC.

sorry 88. automedicsupply has one for $60 no shipping cost and even Rock Auto has one for $63. both of these are direct fit OEM replacement full wire unit with plugs and everything.

Edited by lgranch