Power Valve Screws Falling Out On 3.5's, 01-04

Trainman

If you're in Balston Spa, I used to work at the local Nissan dealer. Good bunch of guys if you ask me. I turned them on to the power valve problem after mine fell out so they should be up to date by now. Honsetly it's not a common sighting at the dealer, as the older cars usually end up at independent shops. If you decide to go back tell Larry that Vinnie sent you and he should take care of you.

Hey, thanks! You're probably their guy they were telling me about who knows all about this. Pleased to meet you! I'll definitely tell them who sent me. And yeah, they are a pretty good bunch of fellas- They went out of their way to call me back. Soon as my part shows up (if it shows up) I'm heading over there

• 1 year later...

I did call make that call NNA and all I got in response was "there is no current campaign on the Pathfinder, with the power valve situation" This item would be covered under a workmanship defect in the factory warranty and also the Nissan Pre-owned perferred warranty, which must be purchased the day the vehicle is purchased from a dealer wether new or used. I was also told that I would be exremely happy with the VQ powered Path as it has had very high reviews from many many Nissan customer.

***EDIT***

Trainman, approx what did your pre-issue maintainence cost you? It sounds like extra cheap insurance!

Can anyone give a further clue as to what has to be removed to get to these screws? The less you remove from the motor the better chance of future issues...I may be speaking from experience! Lol!!

There is a very long post on this topic on another Pathfinder site. Inside the topic, someome DID AN INCREDIBLE JOB documenting the entire process to get to the Power Valve Screws with AWESOME, CLEAR PICTURES OF EVERY STEP OF THE PROCESS! If anyone wants me to find it, let me know. It may take a little digging.

There is a very long post on this topic on another Pathfinder site. Inside the topic, someome DID AN INCREDIBLE JOB documenting the entire process to get to the Power Valve Screws with AWESOME, CLEAR PICTURES OF EVERY STEP OF THE PROCESS! If anyone wants me to find it, let me know. It may take a little digging.

That thread is here on NPORA: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17104

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Looks like this may have happened to my Pathy. I'm driving a very low mileage 2004 Pathfinder Chinook. It was my mother-in-law's truck until May of 2010. She bought it brand new in '04 and serviced it religiously at the dealer. When we took it over we continued servicing only at the dealer. A few days ago it dies on me while I was 270km away from home. It only had 85,000 KM (53,000 mi) on the odometer! Dealer in the city I had it towed to (my old dealer) told me the engine was dead (and I could tell by the sound). They didn't give me a reason, but I'm suspecting the power valve issue. I'm waiting to hear back from them on Monday as to hoe much it will cost me to find out if that is what indeed caused the failure.

I don't know what to do now. I plan on contacting Nissan Canada to see if they are willing to help me out by standing behind their product. Not holding my breath but I will bug them until the cows come home. Obviously the truck is well beyond warranty, but no engine should fail at 85,000 km (53,000 mi)!

Dealer said my options were to put in a brand new engine for $7900 or a used one they found with 116,000 km on it from a wrecker for $5600. Both prices are before taxes and only include 1 year parts warranty, no labour! I don't know what the best course of action is. I'm ready to move on from the Pathy but hardly think I would recoup my money if I put an engine in and then tried to sell or trade-in. I wouldn't get much from a wrecker either even tho this truck is in fantastic shape. 85,000 KM and no rust because we had a rust check warranty.

Had I try selling this thing before the engine died, I could have asked for anything from $8-10,000 for it, but now....

What do you guys think I should do? Should I hit various forums and see if an enthusiast wants to buy the truck as is and drop their own engine in it? It's a great truck aside from the dead engine! Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Pete

Edited by DeadPathy

Sorry to hear about your engine failure. You're the third person to report power valve screw issues in the past two months or so. It's a shame that Nissan doesn't recognize this as their manufacturing defect and perform a recall.

• 1 year later...