Driving Impressions R-51 V8

dernt

I stopped by Nissan to get a fuel filter yesterday and they had a new 2008 pathfinder 5.6, so I had to drive it. It feels much better than my R50, but 310 HP? 300+ HP just ain't what it used to be. It's a nice vehicle, but the interior was a funky brownish reddish leather, and the fake wood panel decals make it look cheap. The shifter felt sloppy too. Not to mention the sticker was over $37k.

Well...you have to remember that it's also a 6,000lb truck, as opposed to a 3,200lb sports car, so it won't be nearly as fast. It's not about raw HP numbers, it's about power-weight ratio.

The model I drove weighed 4800 lbs, and most cars (at least those with that kind of power) weigh at least 3600 lbs. You're point is taken, but the Pathfinder weighs about 33% more than a car, not 200%.

That's curb. Add the weight of Driver and passenger (~400lbs), fuel, and anything else in the vehicle, and you're closer to 6k than you originally thought.

ok, so to drag this out way further than needed, that is a ridiculous statement based on your first statement. Both cars will have drivers, fuel, and yadda yadda. If as you stated, (and I agreed by saying point taken) it's HP/weight ratio that matters, the vehicle with the higher curb weight is affected less by considering loaded weight rather than curb weight, for example:

300 HP/ 3600 # curb weight = 0.0833 HP/#

300 HP/ 4800 # curb weight = 0.0625 HP/#

The pathy loses by 0.0208 HP/#

or, by considering loading the vehicle as you suggested, let's say with 400# for whatever.

300 HP/4000 # loaded = 0.075 HP/#

300 HP/5200 # loaded = 0.057 Hp/#

Now the heavier vehicle still loses but by only 0.0173 HP/#

My point initially was that this doesn't feel like a vehicle with anything close to 300 HP. And I'm not talking about any light car; I'm talking about old Detroit vehicles from the 70s pushing 4000 lbs with low compression engines. Look at my post title, this is my impression of the vehicle.

I'd be interested to see how it compares 0-60 and 1/4 mile with the Titan and 4.0V6 Pathfinder.

When I drove the Titan, it definitely felt like it had 300+HP. I haven't driven the V8 Pathfinder yet, so I can't pass judgement on it.

It's also possible that there is a sort of "Break-In" program running in the ECU until 1000 miles that will retard the timing and fuel mapping so you do not cause excessive wear on the engine during the break-in period. Knowing Nissan, and the crazy stuff they can do with computers these days, it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd be interested to see how it compares 0-60 and 1/4 mile with the Titan and 4.0V6 Pathfinder.

When I drove the Titan, it definitely felt like it had 300+HP. I haven't driven the V8 Pathfinder yet, so I can't pass judgement on it.

It's also possible that there is a sort of "Break-In" program running in the ECU until 1000 miles that will retard the timing and fuel mapping so you do not cause excessive wear on the engine during the break-in period. Knowing Nissan, and the crazy stuff they can do with computers these days, it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes! the performance comparison vs. the 4.0 will be intheresting. And your speculation about the ECU is quite possibly. It had only 43 miles. I'd like to drive one with the stillen supercharger kit for the 5.6, but that would add another 6k to the price. I would also like to give the R51 another go at it without the sales person riding shotgun.

Break it up ladies....

Who is this? Posting police? You wanna break something up, go jump into the cluster f*ck b*tch fest in classifieds about the Prado lift.

What about drag coefficiency and aerodynamics? :hide:

Maybe due to the auto hubs causing friction... Traction Control? Haha, idk!

Edited by 90seven

My point initially was that this doesn't feel like a vehicle with anything close to 300 HP. And I'm not talking about any light car; I'm talking about old Detroit vehicles from the 70s pushing 4000 lbs with low compression engines. Look at my post title, this is my impression of the vehicle.

wouldn't the 'feel' of the horses also have a lot to do with the gearing. perhaps it's just that the gearing is low (or would it be high?).

My impressions..

OK

One of the guys at work got a new 07 back in January. I have driven it a few times around town and even driven it on dirt roads with him.

I now always call it his minivan.

Edited by Alkorahil

My impressions..

OK

One of the guys at work got a new 07 back in January. I have driven it a few times around town and even driven it on dirt roads with him.

I now always call it his minivan.

Hey...wait a second!!!

I have an 07, and it's great. Granted, I had to add a few goodies under the hood, but it's got quite a bit of power, and now that I have some 33's, it's quite a bit more capable off-road!

i literally just got back from test driving one, and honestly overall it feels quite a big more powerful. maybe not quite what a v8 should but its got much more balls than the v6 does. definitely not thrilled with the gas mileage, but other than that i'd be satisfied enough to own one for sure and not regret it.