4wd Safety Clinic, Hollister - May 20, 2007

XPLORx4

So, I attended that Safety Clinic sponsored by Esprit De Four 4x4 club on Sunday, with a friend from work (98 Trooper) and Enjoi408 (black 2002 R50), and I have to say that it was a very well-organized, informative and useful course. Being able to host the class at Hollister is a bonus, because there is such a variety of terrain, from easy to insane, to practice on.

They covered just about all aspects of 4-wheeling, including recovery equipment and techniques, picking the right line, how to cross obstacles such as downed trees, ravines, and water crossings, why you should air down, knowing your vehicle's capabilities, when, why, and how to use a spotter, and more.

I consider myself a seasoned 'wheeler, so much of what I learned wasn't new to me, but it was nice to know that the practices and techniques I use on the trail are the ones being taught by those who practice environmentally responsible and safe off-highway driving.

There was even a trail breakdown in our group. One student's Tacoma got a flat when she scuffed the sidewall on a rock, just barely breaking the bead. We had an opportunity to actually apply our teaching. We used a hi-lift, a hi-lift wheel adapter, a jack stand, a powertank, and a ratchet strap to reseat the bead and inflate tire.

I would stongly encourage anyone who would like to know more about operating their 4x4 to take the class.

Photos of the class have been posted by the Esprit de Four club at this link. This link features photos taken during the much-higher-attendance Saturday class. (warning: takes a long time to load!)

Edited by XPLORx4

Yes! Agreed! They were rated the #1 Safety CLinic in the US. It was def worth it. As a beginner I learned a lot about what my truck was and wanst able to do along with the addition of how a lot of the tools of wheeling are used. Its a great program and something everyone should consider. Even people who are good at wheeling should do so, they will learn!

i went to one of those classes several years ago after my near (would-have-been-death) experience in my jeep (i wasn't driving at the time).. it was excellent and informative indeed. :bounce:

king is down for the count until i find out what his problem is...... i am hoping to take a week off for my b-day (july 4th) somewhere at the end of june/beginning of july...... wrench time.....

why couldn't this all happen during winter months? :blink: