Tires, Wheels & Roof Basket

Chinook

First I want to say hi to everybody. I just bought a 2002 Pathfinder Chilkoot and I want to get some new wheels and tires for it. I've search the forum trying to find some info but I didn't found exactly what I needed... I can get some used (almost brand new) BFG AT 31- 10.5 / 15 will it rub without any lift? Can a 15'' wheel clear the brakes (I have 16'' now)? What kind of off-set do I need? Do you have any suggestion for black steel wheels that will last a long time and look good (AR, Cragar, ect.)? Does any body have a picture of an R50 with a Load warrior or Mega warrior roof basket? A lot of questions but I'm sure you can give me a hand!

Thanks

Francois

Francois, Welcome!

Just curios to know, why the desire to switch to 15" wheels?

Looking at mine, there is not a lot of room between the caliper and the stock alloy but a thinner steel wheel may fit.

I run 245/75 R16 on the stock rims (for summer) with no rubbing.

I run my winter tires on Toyota steel rims, and get a bit of rubbing when backing up on right lock. They do have a different off-set and stick out a wee bit further than the stock rims.

Summer tires:

IMG_0277.jpg

TireClearence1_1.jpg

Winter tries:

IMG_0278.jpg

Trainman -- 15" thinner steel wheel might fit:

We tried one of my ex's 15" AR767 on my truck, and it fit, was really close in there... but it fit -- never did drive with it on there.

Chinook, I have 16" AR 767's on my truck, I'd recommend them.

Trainman -- 15" thinner steel wheel might fit:

We tried one of my ex's 15" AR767 on my truck, and it fit, was really close in there... but it fit -- never did drive with it on there.

Chinook, I have 16" AR 767's on my truck, I'd recommend them.

Thanks Pezzy, all I can go by is the stock alloys but I seem to recall someone else wanting to put 15" wheels on a 2000+ R50. Francois will just need to try them I guess.

Thanks for all the answers! I do not want especially to install 15'' but I had a good deal on used one so I was wondering. I read that some 31'' would fit the car but I wasn't able to find some 16'' at my tires dealer as for the AR wheels I really like them but when I checked the price they were close to 220$ per wheel and I found the Cragar around 100$ is there a big difference in quality between them? What would be the bolts pattern & the offset that I would need for a 16'' wheel? Sorry if my writing sounds funny I usualy speak french lolll

Francois

Well, your english is about 4000% better than my french. (and likely better than my english too!!)

Shop around, I was able to get my AR's for about 110-20 each from a local guy.

Also, you might want to check the Quebec Xterra board... they may have a lead on where to get good deals closer to your area... http://www.xterraquebec.com/forum/

These are the ones I have: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

although, I gotta be honest, I dont recall if I have the 7" or the 8" wide...

Thanks for all the answers! I do not want especially to install 15'' but I had a good deal on used one so I was wondering. I read that some 31'' would fit the car but I wasn't able to find some 16'' at my tires dealer as for the AR wheels I really like them but when I checked the price they were close to 220$ per wheel and I found the Cragar around 100$ is there a big difference in quality between them? What would be the bolts pattern & the offset that I would need for a 16'' wheel? Sorry if my writing sounds funny I usualy speak french lolll

Francois

Glad we can help. And your English is just fine. Better spelling than most who claim to speak English as a first language.

as for the roof rack i was looking in to getting one as well, when i was looking i found out that you dont need the bar systme to mount the basket to the roof rack. It will mount directly to the factory roof rack or at least it will on a 98. I know that the rack system is different for your year but you can always look at them at places like REI.

yup, paid 500.01 for four, including taxes, although IIRC, they quoted me for 15's and backed the price b/c of their error.

I will stick to the original 16''. I would like to know if I need any special off-set on the new rims or I stick with the original off-set. By the way Pezzy those 767 look really sweet!!! Would you have any pictures of your roof rack? I tried to look on your web site & your profile but didn't found any good one. On saturday I will go to Rackultra and try the mega warrior to see if it is to big.

Trainman I have almost the same rig as you have a 2002 Black Chilkoot 105000 km!

I'm getting the brush guard installed tomorrow it will start to look pretty good!

Thanks for everything

Francois

roof rack/basket:

I have the Thule rack, and the basket is Sportrack, Canadian Tire used to sell the baskets, but I dont believe they carry them anymore... they were a decent price compared to any of the other brands... There's actually a guy on Nissan Truck Club selling one now for $200. I have an extension in mine also. Sorry I dont have any close ups of the Thule system.

thumb-A21030.jpg

ne4wd_342.jpg

As for offset, I had to change mine up from stock, because I went with wider tires. On stock, the tires would have hit the strut tower.

Canadian Tire sells this one:

0401146_450_CC_2ffd3.jpg

SportRack Roof Basket

$249.99

Product #40-1146-2

* Perfect size for wagons, mid-size cars, minivans, or SUVs

* Universal mounting hardware fits round, square, and many factory racks

* Custom fairing included

* Cargo net (40-1147) sold separately

* 39 x 44 x 6½" (99 x 112 x 16.5cm)

Canadian Tire link

I found this today from another site, Proline Racks

It looks pretty close to the Load Warrior (1.5" shallower though) and at $129.00 ($150.00 LESS than the Yak Rak) it's a helluva deal. I'm sure you can use the spare tire carrier from Yakima as well, as it looks like it's made to compete with it. I just might have to get one of these, and the wind fairing is $30.00 more.

If you can deal without having the super-cool name brand stuff, this could be a good rack for you :tongue:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your help. I wanted to show you what I've done. I chosed the Sportrack with extention + the brush guard strait from Nissan. Next project tires, wheels, suspention & change that damn bose system that keep skipping!

post-3913-1183860595_thumb.jpg

post-3913-1183860608_thumb.jpg

A lot of guys up here mounted it backwards with plans to install reverse lights on the little crossers that go across on the angled side.

Actually it's installed the right way. Both side of the rack are in an angle. If you look carefully at the front you will see the flat bars with hole in the middle to attach the wind fairing. Thanks for the good comments.

Francois