Sourgrass Trail Run 6/16-6/17

XPLORx4

Members of the Nor Cal Xterra Club are running the Sourgrass 4WD Trail off of Hwy 4 near Arnold, CA on the weekend of June 16-17.

Located between Arnold and Camp Connell on Highway 4, is Boards Crossing Road which winds down to the Stanislaus River and the Sour Grass recreation area and campground. The Sour Grass 4WD trail has been adopted by the Gettin' Off 4WD Club from Milpitas, CA. The trail is approx. 2.5 miles long and rates at about 2 on a 1-4 scale. A stock T-100 made it up with a little guiding after kissing a few rocks on cross members underneath and full-sized pickups with campers have reportedly made it up. It consists of a narrow dirt road along the river bottom, with a few rocky ledges, several creek crossings and some secluded camping sites.

GPS: N38 19 18.2 W120 12 56.6

Sourgrass Trail photos

If you're interested, click here for up-to-date details.

Edited by XPLORx4

• 5 weeks later...

I am really considering this... I have a friend of mine with a cabin just up the road. With it going to be as hot in the valley (100+) I may want to take the trip to get to a cooler climate.

Mark

Do it! The more the merrier! Joebob is going. Yar1 i dont know but he should. haha. I am going. And Xplorx4 is coming as well. That pathy group is stroong and could be stronger. Use the force!

Do it! The more the merrier! Joebob is going. Yar1 i dont know but he should. haha. I am going. And Xplorx4 is coming as well. That pathy group is stroong and could be stronger. Use the force!

It would be great to have more pathys than xterras.. since it is the xterra group that is hosting. I will try not to make fun of their WART. It is the only thing about xterra I can't stand! WHY WHY WHY! I just want to take a hammer and bang it level. And why did they have to make that cut into the glass. it is wrong I tell you WRONG!!

ok I feel better Now. If i go I should have it out of my system so I don't offend them talking about their wart. ack!! yuk! eew!

Mark

It would be great to have more pathys than xterras.. since it is the xterra group that is hosting. I will try not to make fun of their WART. It is the only thing about xterra I can't stand! WHY WHY WHY! I just want to take a hammer and bang it level. And why did they have to make that cut into the glass. it is wrong I tell you WRONG!!

ok I feel better Now. If i go I should have it out of my system so I don't offend them talking about their wart. ack!! yuk! eew!

Mark

'

So thats a yes Im going or a no im not?

'

So thats a yes Im going or a no im not?

most probably YES. I am still fighting with myself. Still don't know how much time I will have to find all my gear.

Mark

all you need is a tent ( or you can sleep in your truck), chair, food, radio, and cloths. anything extra is up to you.

your probably right. I don't need to bust out all my gear. I go on a week long camping trip every 4 of july weekend on private property up past sonora. I don't need all that crap for a 2 day trip. I have a huge tent not worth setting up.

Mark

Great! Well I'll see you there!

Man !! pushy arn't we... :) Just trying your damedest to get me to commit.. worse than my girlfriend :shiftyeyes:

Update! I will not be able to make it. Crap hit the fan at work. I hope to make the next one though.. I am really bummed I really wanted to go. I will have to remember that trail in the future.

Mark

Edited by msavides

Commitment or not, Im still not dating you. haha. :tongue:

So how was the trip? how many pathfinders showed up and how many xterras? Is it something you would do again. any carnage, anyone get stuck. Details. I want to know if that is a good spot to wheel in the future. I have to find some place to wheel this weekend. I am itchin. I am pissed that i missed this one.

Mark.

The trip was awesome.

Here's the vehicle roundup:

2001 Xterra

2005 Xterra

02 Pathy

97 Pathy

92 Pathy

96 Isuzu Trooper

No carnage, except for the typical backwoods pinstriping. Everyone made it without any problems.

On Sunday, Enjoi408 parked his rig and rode shotgun in my rig as we and my friend in his '01 X tackled the Slickrock trail. Slickrock is a much more advanced trail. My rear bumper got its first rock rash :( , but then again, that's what it's for!

SWEET! More pathy's then xterra's I wish I would have went, Slickrock would have been awesome to try. My Pathy is soon to get rock rails then I will be set to avoid the carnage. Make sure you guys let me know when another trip is planned. I am pissed I missed out. Oh Well.

Mark

The trip was awesome.

Here's the vehicle roundup:

2001 Xterra

2005 Xterra

02 Pathy

97 Pathy

92 Pathy

96 Isuzu Trooper

No carnage, except for the typical backwoods pinstriping. Everyone made it without any problems.

On Sunday, Enjoi408 parked his rig and rode shotgun in my rig as we and my friend in his '01 X tackled the Slickrock trail. Slickrock is a much more advanced trail. My rear bumper got its first rock rash :( , but then again, that's what it's for!

You forget Jeep broke down right before Sourgrass! Sooooo close!

That sucks. I would be ticked. I would be getting another vehicle after it let me down like that. But then again that is what jeeps do. :)

That sucks. I would be ticked. I would be getting another vehicle after it let me down like that. But then again that is what jeeps do. :)

Yeah, it was a bummer. He had overheating problems heading up into the mountains, so he had to turn around about 5 miles from the trailhead. His Jeep (Grand Cherokee) is very capable. Fortunately, it was just the thermostat, but it did spoil his trip.

Edited by XPLORx4