Mix Canyon

JoeBob

So I went to Mix Canyon near vacaville last weekend.. had a blast... there were so many people there with awesome rigs. I did a few of the trails and i discovered how much of a piece of crap our idler arms are :D my idler arm bent on me >< and it wasnt all that hard offroading either... soooooo my calmini steering system is on its way ^^. but anyways heres some pictures. The place looks a lot harder in real life.. this place is pretty crazy i wouldnt even dream of going up most of the trails.

Mix Canyon pics

Youre from davis right? How far of a drive is it from there for you? Pics look great by the way!

Yeah im in davis, its like a 30 minute drive.. its really easy to find.. you take a right off the free way.. then another right.. then a left.. and then you see his driveway which is hard to miss with a sign pointing up this crazy dirt road that says <- BOB

I can give you real directions when i get back.. left them in my car :P

might want to be carefull though.. your truck is stock right? I saw a guy with a stock frontier.. both open differentials and he was having a bit a trouble.. you will probably still be able to do the main loop trail though.

you will probably be ok if you go. the LSD works well up there i got one too.. and its a lot of fun just watching all these guys with 40+ inch tires going up the ravines

JoeBob, your LSD is much stronger than Enjoi's. Nissan changed them after the WD21.....from a 230lb LSD, to a 130lb LSD. The newer ones don't help nearly as much.

Nice pics by the way. :aok:

JoeBob, your LSD is much stronger than Enjoi's. Nissan changed them after the WD21.....from a 230lb LSD, to a 130lb LSD. The newer ones don't help nearly as much.

Nice pics by the way. :aok:

My LSD works fine! thank you very much! Slick can verify that! haha

hehehe.. yeah im sure it will do fine.. :P

i just added a couple pictures showing my bent idler arm thats making it so hard to drive :| and scary

My LSD works fine! thank you very much! Slick can verify that! haha

I wasn't saying it doesn't work. I'm just saying the facts. The WD21 LSD is stronger than the R50, or WD22 Xterra LSD for that matter. If both rear wheels are on the ground, it probably wouldn't make that much difference, but if not, or if one wheel is close to lifting off the ground, it will.

I wasn't saying it doesn't work. I'm just saying the facts. The WD21 LSD is stronger than the R50, or WD22 Xterra LSD for that matter. If both rear wheels are on the ground, it probably wouldn't make that much difference, but if not, or if one wheel is close to lifting off the ground, it will.

sorry guys, i am in agreeance with simon..... truth hurts :P and froggy...... looking at the pics from mix canyon.... and KNOWING frank raines...... well........ the only reason i would be willing to do it is my tires. :laugh:

and good lord man! how the HELL did you manage to bend your idler arm????? :blink:

Edited by Slick

I was tryin the sarcastic tone. Text really doesnt work well with expressions. lol Sorry for any confusion

and good lord man! how the HELL did you manage to bend your idler arm????? :blink:

nissan idler arm = crap thats how :thumbsdown: and i didnt have a brace on it. i guess it just couldnt handle the terrain.. its pretty rough up there.

Enjoi can confirm that even the WD21 LSD has a tough time when one tire is off the ground. I need to get more practise on the brake + gas method of engaging it...

Enjoi can confirm that even the WD21 LSD has a tough time when one tire is off the ground. I need to get more practise on the brake + gas method of engaging it...

Haha oh yea. That was weird. When I was watching you, I felt like watching a video game. You know how you hit the end of the graphics and its like an invisible wall that you cant pass? That was Andrew. haha

brake gas method huh whats that... im still not exactly sure how an LSD works : /

Well an LSD works as such: it allows the differential to remain open under most conditions: such as going around a corner. But if the difference between the two tires becomes too much, say if you're on an icy road it locks the differential allowing both tires to spin at the same time. However it's not perfect, and if one tire is completely off the ground the LSD will have a hard time engaging.

The brake + gas method is a way to try and get the LSD to engage when one wheel is off the ground. It involves (you ready for this?) pressing the brake whilst depressing the accelerator, hopefully encouraging the LSD to engage and get power to the wheel that's actually on the ground.