Couple Questions

93PathfinderWA

With all this talk of sas I was wondering what...

1) The difference between radius arms and control arms is?

2) a "Pumpkin" is? "Driver's side drop"?

3) To figure out what your gear ratio is in 4-lo do you just multiply your ring and pinion with the t-case gears ex: stock-4.375 X 2.0(t-case)= 8.75:1 and crawler gears- 3.7 X 5.13=18.98, is that how it works?

I know that I have more that I just cant think of right now. Anyone doing an sas that would like to do a write-up it would be appreciated. I am going to keep the pathy as a trail rig when I can afford a new car (a year or two away, probably). I know that the average joe can't do it, and I am not a mechanic, but I would just like to know what it really takes, since I will do it eventually.

Thanks,

Edited by 93PathfinderWA

Or front Diff ;)

Drivers side or Passenger side drop indicates which side the front drive line is on for a given axle or transfer case.

Next time you are near a solid front axle truck (many older 4x4's such as Toyota, most full sized trucks , Jeeps and newer Ford F250+ and Dodge 2500+ 4x4's) take a look at which side the pumpkin is offset to ;)

It is a little hard to see, but if you look at my Yota in my sig pic you can see that the pumpkin is on the passenger side of the truck, which unfortunately is why a stock Toyota front axle cannot be used on our Nissans... Pathfinder/Hardbody transfer cases are drivers side drop.

Oh and to add on to the crawl ratio. You must know the first gear ratio and the t-case and the ring and pinion. If you have an auto the the torque converter must be factored in also. With an auto 100 to 1 is a good crawl and a manual I personally would want around 200 to 1.

Thought of some of those ones that I could not remeber earlier.

1. ARB air locker. Planning on buying one. I remeber 88 saying in a post that they, require professional installation, why? What makes tham different than lockrights or detroits?

2. Twin stick shifters, what is the deal? Pros, cons? Saw alot of yotas in Moab with twin stick transfer cases.

Thanks,

Look up what comes in an ARB kit. It requires routing an air line INTO the diff and installing lines from the required compressor to the diff so it will function. Lots of extra parts, and you have to reinstall the ring and pinion as well, which is tricky at times.

Twin stick t-cases are for low, LOW crawl ratios. Currently there are none you can simply install in a Pathfinder, you'd have to do some drivetrain swapping and a lot of custom work to get one in there.

There are two reasons for a twin stick transfer case shifter on Yota's

1 The most obvious reason... dual transfer cases.

2 Possibly less known, for controlling 2/4WD and Lo/Hi ranges separate. For instance, with a dual lever setup on a single t-case you could have 2Lo where as with the stock single stick setup you cannot.