Alignment Place Refuses Work On Pathy.

LD50

Dropped her off this morning at 8 for an alignment - simple job. I guess they had some issues with rusty framed pathfinders in the past, they mine got a very critical look-over. They managed to find 2 rust holes on the bottom of the frame about 1 foot from the back - I knew about these and they are nothing to worry about in my opinion anyways. The rest of the frame above the rear tires has surface rust, but a mallet and screwdriver wont go through (Like it did on most of the frame of my old pathfinder). They told me to go to a frame shop before they would do anything.

So of coarse this gets me thinking... its all starting. I need a full brake job, timing belt is due soon, o2 sensor is gone apparently, told me my lower bj needed replacement, hubs need adjustment (prob just buy manuals anyways). My rear quarters are rusted through on the bottom from some horrible mudflaps. I was expecting to hear something about my CL or steering components, but nothing. Oh and lately my engine is ticking on startup even though it was recalled for that reason and the "engine replaced" according to the PO.

All this stuff is adding up to be pretty substantial, would be a waste of money to fix and sell... I'm just thinking about my old pathy and how it went downhill so fast and we pretty much gave it away.

eh brakes, you can do that yourself. as well as a lower ball joint, you can also do the manual hubs and replace the O2 sensor (as long as it didnt rip off, but if it did, then u would have a nice exhaust leak)

then you only really have the timing belt which i understand may not be something you want to replace, but it is doable.

so that should save you some green. you can do all of that yourself if you have access to a grinder and welder :)

I'm just wary about if I do put money into it, will something else pop up in 6 months or a year? probably. If I do get rid of it, I won't be buying another pathfinder. :blink:

On frame, brakes, timing belt and fender repair I'm sure I can easily spend $2000. I don't have great welding skills, or access to a welder... used arc a few times a couple years ago and I wasn't very good.

Edited by LD50

I'm just wary about if I do put money into it, will something else pop up in 6 months or a year? probably. If I do get rid of it, I won't be buying another pathfinder. :blink:

On frame, brakes, timing belt and fender repair I'm sure I can easily spend $2000. I don't have great welding skills, or access to a welder... used arc a few times a couple years ago and I wasn't very good.

im in the process of fixing my frame, which is really rough shape... hasnt cost me more than 20 bucks. Find some steel, get an angle grinder to cut it, clean up the frame with almost anything then pay some a case of beer to tack it on. brakes... i replaced all mine, front and back disc, for pretty cheap too from autozone. Fender you can do yourself also, parts might cost you at most 40 bucks. Timing belt can be spendy, parts will run about 300 bucks, get a some what mechanicaly inclined friend to help you do it, it really isnt that hard to do! 02 sensor is like 65 bucks and takes all of 10 minutes to replace. Dont be afraid of your typical probs, all are normal and all can be done for about 500 bux.

I have no way to do the fender or frame repair myself. My brother may be able to help me do brakes.

I have done a @!*%ty bondo hole repair on the fenders... the hole was huge, I'd like to have it fixed properly though. It can wait if it doesn't get worse - I did seal it good afterwards with rubberized bedliner. Just checked out the o2 sensor location - that is easy. Also, since last frame check I just noticed a crack that I was able to put my finger through so now it's getting worse. I even spray out the frame at the carwash at least once a week.

I guess it can't hurt to get a frame repair quote... a scary proposition though.

Timing belt can be spendy, parts will run about 300 bucks, get a some what mechanicaly inclined friend to help you do it

Holy monkey......My belt and tensioner was only about $40US.

Any way I think it's a little fussy to not do a W/A for you I mean come on the thing is 12 years old, it will never be perfect. Unless you spend big $$'s

I'd do it for you but we can't collect :D

Holy monkey......My belt and tensioner was only about $40US.

Any way I think it's a little fussy to not do a W/A for you I mean come on the thing is 12 years old, it will never be perfect. Unless you spend big $$'s

I'd do it for you but we can't collect :D

belt, tensioner, water pump, new seals, anti-freeze... etc.. you know. :itsallgood:

bah.. stupid pathfiner... I'll fix you :angry: I Found more frame rust, but I'm not worried for now, Ill get it fixed in a few months. Looks like I may be up for a 17 day shift of work starting monday. :o

I'd simply find another shop for alignment. Rear frame rust has exactly ZERO to do with front end alignment unless they want to do a four-wheel alignment, and unless the frame rust is causing suspension parts to move or come OFF.

BJ, CV's, hubs, those are all-in-one-day jobs. BTW, how do you "adjust" hubs???

Your issues are all simple maintenance items aside from the rust. Do each thing one at a time and it will be fine IMHO. Get some rust-converting spray, pressure wash the rusty areas and treat them with the spray, then paint over them with Rustoleum. I think you could let it be for the time being until you can get the holes fixed. They're obviously not going to affect anything but looks at this point.

You're going to have problems like that with just about any older vehicle you buy. At least with this one you have a ton of folks here that can help with inexpensive ways to fix it, maintain it and improve it.

Bah its not worth to putty up the rocker panels either....Just get an angle grinder... put a cutting blade and cut em off... go to a local machining shop... or a place that can fabricate rockers... cost me 30$ a rocker..... and i just had to align them and tac it back into place... everything you mention doesnt compare to some of the repairs ive done on my pathy alone... get on ebay... buy the 4-5$ book and fix her up... trust me its worth it.... To sell her now and go buy another car for such minor repairs doesnt make sense. Aslong as you follow the maintenance its fine.

Thanks

Jay

• 6 years later...

I've had a KalTire refuse to align my R50, even before I lifted it...some garages suck! Its good though, 'cause I got my alignment done for a bit cheaper and they identified issues that were easily rectified.

Sometimes its a blessing (although it does not seem that way when you need the work done) having to go somewhere else.

I actually had 3 local shops refuse to do an alignment on mine 1 said "cuz its an import" i pointed out the Mitsubishi eclipse in the shop getting an alignment right then he said "well that's an import car yours is truck" i then pointed out the 4 runner and titan waiting in line told him he was full of it and that i'd find somewhere else that wanted my money

I've spent waay too much money on crap alignments. I actually had the dealer refuse me since it was lifted and another shop get it "as close as they could" then have one of my A-arm bolts fall out while I was driving because they stripped the threads.

I did my last alignment in the driveway. It's a bit tricky, but not too bad. Took me a few hours, though.

I finally found a place that does good work at a good price ($68 for front and rear) still frustrating to have a business refuse to take your money. and idk if i would even atempt my own alignment but thats just me

Well, since there is no adjustment to be had in the rear, if they made it out like they did something, they jacked you around as well.

I've not done an alignment myself (my local Firestone will work on my truck and do a good job, so far), but it doesn't seem that hard once you understand the goals, process and have tinkered with it.

B

I know that there's nothing to adjust in the rear on our trucks but apparently there is on some vehicles i can't remember the price for just front it was only like $50 though