Water leaks when it rains? 2001 Pathy

GaryH

Has anyone had issues with water leaking into their Pathfinder after a big rain? I have a major problem! It rained heavily last night and I get in the car this AM to find water to the left and right of the sun visors and then puddled in the floor boards. Are the drain holes clogged? How do you fix and where are they located? Thanks so much, GaryH

I think the only drain hoses that may cause the interior roof to get wet are the drain hoses for the sunroof. The front drain holes are in the front corners. If they are cracked or have come loose, that may be leaking on the visors. Other than that maybe a windshield that is not sealed completely?

I think the only drain hoses that may cause the interior roof to get wet are the drain hoses for the sunroof. The front drain holes are in the front corners. If they are cracked or have come loose, that may be leaking on the visors. Other than that maybe a windshield that is not sealed completely?

When you say front corners, do you mean front corners of the sunroof? Can you give a description of what they look like? Thanks so much.....

When you say front corners, do you mean front corners of the sunroof? Can you give a description of what they look like? Thanks so much.....

Under the sunroof, where the rails are, in the very front. I will post a pic when I get back to the house if you cant find it.

I bought my 2003 Pathfinder used and never thought to check out the sun roof drains. They were clogged with all kinds of crap. Evidently the previous owner left the roof open a lot. Had to snake a wire thru them plus blow them out with an air hose to get all the crud out. That solved the roof leak.

Under the sunroof, where the rails are, in the very front. I will post a pic when I get back to the house if you cant find it.

Great! Photos would help a graet deal.......thanks

If you follow the top lip of the roof towards the front there is a inverted corner. The drain hole is at the base of it.

Mine is an 03. I hope they didnt change them much.

sunroof2ua7.th.jpg

Edited by mhawk

If you follow the top lip of the roof towards the front there is a inverted corner. The drain hole is at the base of it.

Mine is an 03. I hope they didnt change them much.

sunroof2ua7.th.jpg

Thanks so much

• 6 years later...

I'm having a similar issue, when it rains hard, the sunroof doesn't drain properly. Water leaks into the cabin through the map lights. The 2002 is a different drain configuration than the 2003. I want to clean out the drains any ideas how to do this? I have not gone through the manual yet to look for the hose routing.

I'm having a similar issue, when it rains hard, the sunroof doesn't drain properly. Water leaks into the cabin through the map lights. The 2002 is a different drain configuration than the 2003. I want to clean out the drains any ideas how to do this? I have not gone through the manual yet to look for the hose routing.

I always use compressed air.

• 8 months later...

Compressed air with a blow gun fitting should do the trick,130 psi is a lot of force for something that got there on its own. but if you need to make a seal, getting a blow end with the rubber tip will make a good seal.

-Kyle

Just came back from my mechanics where we tried to sort out my leaking sunroof. Drivers side carpet wet all the time (rains a lot here). Snaked a cable down the drain and it went a long way before stopping. Noticed water welling up when i pulled it back so there was water stuck in there. Removed the interior plastic trim on the sidewall of the windscreen and also removed the plastic shroud in the wheel well. We could not find where the cable i pushed through would come out and couldn't find any drain hole in there. We also removed the wiper assy cover to have a look in there but couldn't see anything.

I then poured a bit of water down the sunroof drain and that water instantly came out high up on the inside of the windscreen pillar inside the car, dribbled down the rubber and went into the wheel well. I now know how its happening but dont know why. The only thing we could ascertain is that the drain hose in the pillar must have become disconnected from the actual drain plugs in the sunroof. Any ideas on this and how to effect a repair. Tired of damp carpet !

Thanks - Rikki

Edited by Fijipathy

Just for the record , does anyone know if the sunroof in the closed position should let in any water ? Perhaps my outer sunroof seal is worn as well as having a damaged drain.

Sounds to me like the hose has come off the drain. You may have to pull the headliner to figure out where it's supposed to go and repair it or run a new one.

Even if the seal is leaking, the drain should take care of the water. On the WD21 the hose comes out in the rocker panel, but I'm not sure where it comes out on the R50.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the hose has come off the drain. You may have to pull the headliner to figure out where it's supposed to go and repair it or run a new one.

Even if the seal is leaking, the drain should take care of the water. On the WD21 the hose comes out in the rocker panel, but I'm not sure where it comes out on the R50.

:angry: removing headliner not pleasant ! will look at it later and see what it entails. Will try and take pics of repair as we go along.

Fixed it ! both drain hoses had come off the spigots attached to the sunroof. Had to drop corners of headlining both sides but didnt have to remove it totally. Will try and post pics of repair soon.

DESCRIPTION OF SUNROOF REPAIR:

Removed drivers side door rubber trim to reveal headlining edge.

Removed sunvisor, removed sunvisor clip.

Pulled down headlining edge along door side (not too much otherwise it will stress and crease)

Sunroof drain spigot revealed with drain pipe disconnected and nowhere in sight.

Drain pipe had fallen back into metal bulk head recess hole opposite, took some finger wiggling to get it back out.

Reconnected the drain pipe to the sunroof drain spigot and used a cable tie so it wouldn't fall off again.

Ditto the other side except you have to remove the passenger ceiling handle which can be interesting.

pics of repair are self explanatory :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100136683@N03/sets/72157645603658055/

Edited by Fijipathy