If I ever meet the guy.....

SnoViking

well i just changed my spark plugs... and if i ever meet the guy who decided to put the plug for cylinder 6 all the way back there in bumble... Im going to kick him! ... it took my 30 minutes to change plugs and wires for 1-5 cylinders... but an hour to change the plug for the 6th... thats the worst angle ever. the provided Nissan tool wouldnt even fit... i had to use a wrench with an angle roller on it. but i went all out and put bosch 4+ platnums on it... so now i should be good for awhile... and I got good wires. it took me total about an hour and 1/2... i got the directions from www.nissan4wheelers.com they worked really good too.... if anyone has any quesitons, just let me know.

Pat

Yes, I wasn't in a very good mood after my first time changing out that 6th plug.

It was alot easier when the 3" body lift was in. Now that I've removed it, looks like I'll be back to swearing again. :D

I agree, it is a pain! But I did manage to use the Nissan tool for the #6. I actually felt more comfortable using the tool, than using my own. When I did try to use my own, the elbow socket connection kept coming off when pulling the plug out, and there Craftmans, pulling it out was my biggest issue. All those connections would just not hold togheter. :angry: The biggest thing is getting your hand in there to manuever. I have big hands, but managed to get it somewhat in there, just enough to manever the tool into the plug. That vac hose is also a real pain also, (trying not to touch it to much) Being real careful not to pull it off...............

I haven't changed the plugs but I have had the starter off, that is quite a pain. I would like to put a chevy motor in my pathy just for the simple fact. THEY ARE SIMPLE. They have timing CHAINS, instead of belts, the starter is right there. The alternator is right there. The only hard thing about um is the plugs. I mean they are just so easy. I hate to say it but my Civic engine was eaiser then this. O well I guess something has to be weird on such a good car. :)

When I took the spark plugs out of mine the last time I was almost templed to bang the firewall in to give me extra room to remove the plugs. I have two questions though regarding spark plug removal.

1- Is there something you can put on them so they come out easier the next time?(anti-seize of some sort)

2- There's a tool in the kit under the rear seat (90 Pathfinder anyways) that has what looks like a long plug wrench (I only noticed this after changing the plugs) is that what this is and would it work easier to remove the plugs with this?

Concur on all points changing number 6 is a real chore. I thought getting #6 out was hard until I tried to put it back in.

I have found that in the past spark plugs are severely overtorqued. It they are put in to specs, its no problem breaking them loose next time.

• 3 months later...

What Nissan "tool" are you guys referring to? I have a 97, so I need to go to the dealer for this tool..(that's exactly why #6 is where it is, to get me back to the dealer :angry: )...so elbows work, is that what I'm gathering? I can't even see the thing!!!!

I think we got lucky. It only took a few minutes for my buddy to get the notorious #6 out. I had nothing to do with it though. I was gapping the plugs. maybe next time I will be fortunate enough to have a rough time too. LETS HOPE.

All we used was my good ol' Craftsman set. I dont know if we even used an elbow. Ill be sure to let you know cuz it would be so much easier without the elbows. I think the BOWS look weird anyways.

yeh plugs just s*ck sometimes. Like on a mid to late 90's mustang 5.0. the passenger side has all the smog pump hoses and brackets in the way its a pain in the hiney. and then the 5.7 in some of the chevy's like the station wagon and the mid-late 90's camaros and firebirds where the cowl overlaps the back of the motor leaving you no room to work with. Just great!

That's weird. when I bought my 95, (used) it had 2 tools under the back seats for the spark plugs. One was longer than the other, and I didn't even notice them the first time I did plugs..... P... The next time, I used them, and #6 was no problem. Maybe I just got lucky, but I take mine out every now and then, to check/clean them, and I haven't had many problems.

Guest masamar

tool under the seat, huh. maybe I should look for that! I am just reminded of the SNL skit with Mike Meyer where he is Asian and badmouthing Americans, saying how fat and lazy they are because they need to take the IP off to change a bulb. HE HE HE. much like the spark plugs.

• 1 year later...

Also....I noticed there was a large intake on the writeup on Nissan4wheelers.com. My oldie has a carbourator and air cleaner. Will my change be a bit easier being I can pull the top of the motor off a bit simpler?

Just looking for some specific help with the 88 model year...

Guest Dave_D

Yes, That #6 plug is a fun one. I used an extension, a universal adapter, and a rubber lined plug socket (the kind that holds the plug) It also took me about an hour and a half to change them all.

A few things to consider:

Use a flashlight and a mechanics mirror to get an idea of what your up against if you cant get a clear direct view.

1) Unscrew the plugs a few turns first and blow out the debris in the cylinder head plug pocket with an air hose before removing them completely, this keeps garbage from tumbling into cylinder when the plug is removed.

2) Before unscrewing the plug the rest of the way, zap it with a little WD-40 to creep into threads and prevent galling of the threads.

3) Use a little high temp anti seize on the threads of the new plugs.

Just a few tips Ive seen guys learn the hard way.

Edited by Dave_D

my 1st attempt at that turned out not so great...the guy i had gotten it from had amazingly crossthreaded #6 pretty good and the plug wasnt even 1/4 the way in...luckly with lots of time and easing it in and out i got the threads worked back out and it went in just fine...but i dont like changing those back 2 plugs they're just a pain...

Also....I noticed there was a large intake on the writeup on Nissan4wheelers.com. My oldie has a carbourator and air cleaner. Will my change be a bit easier being I can pull the top of the motor off a bit simpler?

Just looking for some specific help with the 88 model year...

You don't have a carburetor, you have throttle body injection. BIG difference, man.

Were you going to ask a specific question or just kinda of wait for random responses?

I just replaced my #6 this past weekend...it wasn't bad at all this time around. I used the Nissan tool with no problems. My only suggestion is to put a small piece of tape on the plug once in the tool to hold it place just enough to keep it from slipping out of the rubber seating. Worked like a charm. Guess I should change my signature now.