94 Pathfinder speakers

Grumpy

The four larger speakers sound like crap in my daughter's Pathfinder. I went to Crutchfield to find out what size they are, and Crutchfield says they don't sell speakers to fit this vehicle. That's a first for me. Before I go out and plunk down some dough on the wrong speakers, what sizes do I need?

One web site reports one set of 5 X 7s and one set of 4 x6s

Also, will the front door speaker panels pop off with just a panel tool?

Yep. I have a set of the carbon-fiber Infinity speakers from a Pathy SE in my Chevy van, they sound GREAT. :D They're 5x7's. The door panel comes off pretty easy, but the clip around the inside doorhandle is a PITA...it snaps on around the handle, just gotta prise it off carefully with a wide screwdriver or appropriate prying tool.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest finding_a_path

I just did my fronts today. I actually stuffed 6x8s in the factory location. It took about 2 hours to install them though! I had to mutilate the factory plastic bracket P... I say stick to the 5x7 or 4x6 to make life simpler. My speakers were 2 7/16" deep, and clear the window barely. That is with the factory bracket cut out in the back.

For mine, driver side wire colors were: Yel/Black(-), Green(+).

Pass side: black(-), black/white(+)

Definitely use a panel puller to get the panels off. The panels are made of a week fiber board, so it will break easily. Instructions for the door panel removal are: 1) Unscrew the plastic lock knob.

2) remove small plastic cap in armrest.

3) Remove #3 screw in armrest.

4) Slide armrest towards rear of car... lift and remove.

5) Remove 2 more #3 screws holding panel on.

6) Pop door handle trim off.

7) Use panel puller to remove clips (10 or so)

8) Lift the panel out of the window sill.

hope that helps!

:type:

At $200 for any of them, I'd get the Infinitys, both because I'm partial to Infinity stuff [have some of their speakers and love 'em], and because if you decide on 5x7s front and back, you can get another set for $100 instead of another $200. =)

• 16 years later...

What do you guys do with the small column speakers on the front driver and passenger side when replacing the door speakers? My small speakers both seem basically dead, but they don't show up on crutchfield.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 8:51 AM, TheGhost said:

What do you guys do with the small column speakers on the front driver and passenger side when replacing the door speakers? My small speakers both seem basically dead, but they don't show up on crutchfield.

bump from the grave, 16 years. daaaamn.  okay.

Depending on what has happened with the audio system in your truck, the tweeters may not work.  The factory stereo did not have an amp. The amp was separate, and had a built in cross over for the tweeters.  If that amp was bypassed for an aftermarket stereo install, the tweeters wont work.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:56 AM, silverton said:

bump from the grave, 16 years. daaaamn.  okay.

Depending on what has happened with the audio system in your truck, the tweeters may not work.  The factory stereo did not have an amp. The amp was separate, and had a built in cross over for the tweeters.  If that amp was bypassed for an aftermarket stereo install, the tweeters wont work.

Hey thanks for the reply! Turned out the amp wasn't bypassed when new head unit was installed and that was the issue: amp was garbage.

I bypassed the amp and now one of the tweeters is great! other is blown. Going to get a set of component speakers and replace the column and door speakers up front :)

• Like 1