how to install a 90 amp alternator

solid snake

Where are you reading 19V? Sounds like you might have a voltage regulator problem.

at first it was reading it from the battery with my multi-meter.

anyways, i did a full charge system check with the help of the fsm. all wire are fine. got voltage where it needs to be. got continuity through all the wires. tried to find the 211m plug for the circuit breaker, but i had no luck. where is it?

-------------------------------

just got back from advance auto from testing my 2 day old alternator. it failed. this blows. back to napa for a new one.

is there something that i should have changed before i get another and blow it as well?

thanks

new parts bring fail just like old ones do. New don't = perfect all the time, hopefully you just got a bad one

good to hear. i know that new parts come defective sometime. just sucks when i have to claim my warente on it.

^ The EXACT reason why I extracted one out of a actual Nissan. Genuine factory parts that come with the car are usually (but not always) the best. That was a 150k something miles Maxima and I took the alternator to a highly reputable re-builder. I put in a lot of effort to make sure that the part worked from the first try.

I personally wouldn't bother swapping from a 60 or 70 amp to a 90, not worth the effort for 20 amps. When I do mine I'll be looking for the 125 amp alt from the Maxima. I put the 110 amp in my 90 sentra and all I had to do was make a one bracket and swap the plug. Here is a chart I made comparing a few different alternators:

fndd0o.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

I personally wouldn't bother swapping from a 60 or 70 amp to a 90, not worth the effort for 20 amps. When I do mine I'll be looking for the 125 amp alt from the Maxima. I put the 110 amp in my 90 sentra and all I had to do was make a one bracket and swap the plug. Here is a chart I made comparing a few different alterantors:

If you want to spend the extra effort then that's fine but the best part about switching to the 90A one is that it's still an upgrade and a direct bolt on. Those extra 20A will make the difference if you convert to an e-fan.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would highly recommend for anyone who is running a e-fan or offroad lights to upgrade their alty because this not only causes havoc with your electrical system, but the tranny can be affected as well and can lead to damage, like what happened to me pssd.

Tools required:

Ratchet

12 mm socket

10 mm socket

Phillips head screw driver

The process to install the new alternator is pretty straight foward, and a direct bolt on. First thing you want to do is look for your donor, the alternator that would fit into your 86-95 pathy would come from a 85-94 maxima. Make sure that you are getting one from SOHC maxi and not a DOHC, especially with the later year maxi's. Here's the diffrence:

th_dohcalty.jpg

th_SOHCalty.jpg

As you can clearly see the mounts have diffrent angles. The other between the two is that the DOHC generates 5 more amps than the SOHC.

This is the diffrence between a pathy alty and a maxi alty:

th_DSC01021.jpg

th_DSC01022.jpg

th_DSC01023.jpg

The maxima alty is slightly more beefier than the pathy. Ok, if you decide to get your donor alty from a J/Y, then having it tested out at autozone or checker is recommended.

First thing's first. Disconnect the positive lead on the battery. Unbolt the tensioner bolt with the 10 mm socket and with the 12 mm socket unbolt the bolt holding the alty in place to the tensioner to remove the belt. unbolt both the two bolts that hold the alternator to the engine block with the 12 mm socket. I would recommend to remove the back bolt first, and then remove the front bolt, while holding the alty with one hand. Once you have removed all bolts, wiggle the alty slightly to remove from block. Disconnect the pos lead to the alty with the 10 mm socket and remove the ground with the screwdriver. It the screwdriver does not help, then you may want to use a smaller socket, I think it was a 7mm, don't remember. Remove last plug in harness. Take the both alty's to a shop where they can swap the pulley for you, unless you already have air tools. Once the pullies are swapped, take the maxi alty and install all factory wiring again. Start by reinstalling all engine block mounting bolts, do not tighten yet. Install the tensioner to the alty, along with the belt. Tension the belt acocrdingly so it is nice and snug. Tighten all mounting bolts, reconnect the pos lead on the battery and start the pathy!

Here's some pics of the alty installed:

th_DSC01084.jpg

th_DSC01087.jpg

Over all the swap should take about 30 mins or less. I'm pretty impressed with the upgrade. The tranny problem i had started when I installed an e-fan and ended when I upgraded.

Ok just put in a alty for a 88 maxi in my 93 pathy pulley doesnot line up and rubs on ac belt what gives?????

• 2 years later...

Back to life... I have some observations.

1. A 20 amp increase is only one reason to do the swap. Another is that the Maxiam alternator is only 2/3 the cost of the 70 amp pathfnder unit. So if you need to replace one ......

2. The instructions are good except he leaves out some crucial details. First, the alternator just doesn't 'come out' The tensioner bracket has to be loosened and swung out of the way to drop the alternator out.

3. It's difficult to get the bolts lined up when installing the alternator. There is very poor visibilty and everything with the back bolt has to be done by feel with a plate from the suspension in the way.

4. I had the alternator go out on my 94 so I took the one from my 95 to replace it with. There is subtle difference you need to be aware of BEFORE installation. The stud for the battery wire is larger on the 95 than the 94 so the lug will need to be replaced with one larger. (I'm assuming my 95 alternator was OEM. The label said it was a 170 and made by Hitachi, remanufactured. )

5. Also, it mentions 10 mm bolts. ALL the bolts on the 94 alternator I had were 12 mm. No 10's. Also, the grounging wire screw can be turned with an 8 mm socket as well as a phillips screw driver.

So, installation was much worse than removal. Don't expect it to be as quick and easy as the removal might be. I need to get my Maxima alternator now and the installation should go smoother now I know what to expect.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back to life... I have some observations.

1. A 20 amp increase is only one reason to do the swap. Another is that the Maxiam alternator is only 2/3 the cost of the 70 amp pathfnder unit. So if you need to replace one ......

2. The instructions are good except he leaves out some crucial details. First, the alternator just doesn't 'come out' The tensioner bracket has to be loosened and swung out of the way to drop the alternator out.

3. It's difficult to get the bolts lined up when installing the alternator. There is very poor visibilty and everything with the back bolt has to be done by feel with a plate from the suspension in the way.

4. I had the alternator go out on my 94 so I took the one from my 95 to replace it with. There is subtle difference you need to be aware of BEFORE installation. The stud for the battery wire is larger on the 95 than the 94 so the lug will need to be replaced with one larger. (I'm assuming my 95 alternator was OEM. The label said it was a 170 and made by Hitachi, remanufactured. )

5. Also, it mentions 10 mm bolts. ALL the bolts on the 94 alternator I had were 12 mm. No 10's. Also, the grounging wire screw can be turned with an 8 mm socket as well as a phillips screw driver.

So, installation was much worse than removal. Don't expect it to be as quick and easy as the removal might be. I need to get my Maxima alternator now and the installation should go smoother now I know what to expect.

• 3 years later...
On 12/16/2010 at 4:44 PM, schickdog said:

My 88 is going to require taking the spacer off the pathy alt shaft and cutting it from 1/2" to 1/4" and putting it on the maxi alt. Not exactly a "true bolt on" for me, but nothing is ever easy. However, one week until Big Bend and some serious wheeling.

Ok that's what I'm worried about.. I only have basic hand tools no grinders or anything like that besides a drimmel or hand saw.. how would to make a spacer??mines a 87 pathy with the fan on pulley.

On 11/27/2011 at 1:38 PM, Tungsten said:

No, it was from a SOHC VG Maxima. Upon further research it looks like if you own a 70amp alternator then the pulley will swap directly into the 90amp unit. The people that have to make adapters are the ones swapping the pulley from a 60amp unit because of the external cooling fins.

Yes the 87-89 seem to have the external fan pulley and the 90-95 have the bolt on pulley.. does anyone have pics of the adapter they made and from what??