Muffler & High Flow Cat - suggestions needed

4PAWS

I know this seems to be a dead horse... asked MANY times. And yes have searched. But give this newbie (me) some direct answers, PLEASE :blink:

I have looked at my stock exhaust system... 1. It looks to me like I have two cats in line then the muffler. Is this right? 2. If I go to a shop and have them replace my current exaust with a 'high flow' cat and a 'performance' muffler will he leave me with two cats still? 3. Is there really any improvement in the new stuff, other than better sound? I am looking for any horsepower gains I can get, at a reasonable cost. 4. I am seeing a consensus on a Flowmaster 50 series. Is this the predominant 'best' muffler going out there? LASTLY... 5. I see people mention a 'High Flow' cat, but no mention of specific names, models, etc. I have looked up cats at different websites, but they do not specify 'high flow'. What ones are you guys getting? :help:

If in fact you have two cats, there is no need, just put one high flow cat and then a muffler of you're choice. There will be HP/Torque gains, depending on the setup you choose, although they will be minimal. Asking which is the best muffler is like asking what the best color is, everyone is going to have their own opinion as to what is "best" but Flowmaster is a descent brand...even tho I hate them cuz everyone and their mother has one (that's the mustang owner in me speaking). Personally I think a high flow cat on a pathy is a waste of money, youre not going to get any noticable gain by having a high flow cat, and if you combine it with a free flowing muffler, you may lose backpressure and actually hurt performance. If I were you, I'd possibly get slightly bigger piping, one regular cat, hell, keep one of the ones you have if they are still good, and a good performance muffler.

Edited by Pavelow Leaks

i (and a few others) are running HF cats with FM 40 series and 2.5" pipe throughout. seems to be the most popular set up, and if you want HP... get headers (thorleys or pacesetter) ;)

here's a clip of my exhaust... and there are a few others in the pics/vid section

Mini Me's exhaust

Guest SuperSon

I dig it when you guys post pics and videos :D .it gives me an idea what youre refering to :aok:

Edited by SuperSon

Hey slick. sounds like you have the same high rpm rattle that I have on my 1991 pathfinder. Is your cat resting on the rear crossmember too? That is what i think is causing my rattle.

Mark

Edited by msavides

you don't have 2 cats. One of them is a resonator which is uneccessary and can be removed. I have a universal fit 2.25" magnaflow cat and a flowmaster 50 muffler.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

:shrug:

You guys are killing me. I need specifics. All the local shops I am calling are giving me a hard time. They are saying I need some specific cat ($269) he can't give me an exact price ($200+/-) just for the muffler? etc. !!! :oops: :X :furious:

I have found 1 hope, a guy that will put the stuff on if I want to buy the cat and muffler my self. There are like a ton of cats and 10 different versions of Flowmaster 50 Series (in/offset out, offset in/offset out, etc)

Can someone please tell me EXACTLY what model, size,brand, configuration, etc.

Yes I am asking you to spell it out because that's what all my local rip-off artist are asking for.

If I can't get help here, well, I just don't know :confused:

dude, take a look at your stock muffler. You need a flowmaster with the offset outlet, if you want to keep the stock specs, to get stock measurement just try to measure the inside of the exhaust pipe. As far as the hf cat, get one with the same measurement of the muffler.

Cat:

Dynomax Super Converter.

15033 if going 2.5"

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...9+115&x=36&y=12

15032 if going 2.25"

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

Muffler:

Dynomax Super Turbo

17733 if going 2.5"

17731 if going 2.25"

Take pieces to a GOOD shop, NOT some national chain crap operation, but a mom and pop that does quality work and have enough smarts and experience to build custom. Should be under $200 for pipe and labor.

That better? B)

I got Thorleys with 3" from the collector to the Flo-Pro and 2.5" out he back....

*Did I forget something in there???? nope was thinking the other County requirements....

Hey slick. sounds like you have the same high rpm rattle that I have on my 1991 pathfinder. Is your cat resting on the rear crossmember too? That is what i think is causing my rattle.

Mark

actually, the section of pipe that my o2 sensor plugs into is still stock and dying, and that "rattle" was at 4k + rpm sly once i change that little piece of stock pipe, it will probably go away P...

nothing rattles or rests on any part of the body/frame.. i HATE rattles P...

:nono: don't be suckered in to thinking oyu need some "special" cat and stuff.. they're trying to skrew you. I paid $50 for a no name high flow cat, and $85 for my FM 50 series and *coughs* $400 for it all to be installed. (that price included muffler & cat also)

Edited by Slick

:cool2:

Finally some decent answers. And after a thousand calls, many web sites, and a few trips here and there I think I have found my answers...

I found a shop with a down to earth person who was willing to listen to my ideas. He does not stock my exact preferences, but will do the work on/with what I bring him. So...

a Manaflow Hi-Flow Cat for $90 mail order

a Flowmaster 50series for $110 mail order... Hey "SLICK", you got a great deal at $85. WOW :o

2.25 pipe throughout

This will total out at about $350+/-. I guess it is about the average cost as what you guys paid. I'll just be happy when I get it all done. :laugh:

Next up is the JWT pop charger and ecu. I'll have to sit back for a while before the headers and new cams.

Thanks guys :beer:

Guest SuperSon

Slick the tip of your exhaust pipe is under the truck instead of piped out on the side. :confused: Are you getting any exhaust gases inside the cab?

Once again heres mine, a Flowmaster 40, generic high flow cat, 2.25 piping......click on the pics for videos (and turn your sound up). Oh and if the shop doesn't know what type of exhaust is needed (specs), then the jackass should not be doing work on your vehicle!

th_PathyFlowmaster.jpg

Edited by govols74n

Next up is the JWT pop charger and ecu. I'll have to sit back for a while before the headers and new cams.

leave the ecu tuning until after you do headers, intake and cams. It probably won't make a noticable difference until you add those parts.

here's a cheap muffler. It took me about 30 seconds to find it.

50 series on ebay

that's still too expensive for a cat. I paid less than that for mine in canada no less.

here's a cheaper on. again it took me about 30 seconds to find it.

Magnaflow cat on ebay

If you ever want to cut through the bullsh!t that shops throw at you, call them instead of going in to see them and tell them to beat/match prices with local competitors. Just make sure you end up going to a reputable place. Most exhaust shops shouldn't have a problem with you bringing in your own parts. If they do, tell them you'll find someone else to do it for you. You need to remind them that they're the ones that need your business; not the other way around.

I don't have a problem with it but others might tell you to check your tone. Especially for a new user that hasn't contributed anything to the community. Read first, then open your mouth.

my tailpipe just broke off my orig nissan muffler today guess it was due i have 213k miles on the rig, anyway on a naturally aspirated vehicle with such low HP a high flow cat doesn't make much of a butt dyno difference. If your doing headers back then def change the size of your piping and so forth. I measured the stock tailpipe and the OD of the pipe was a measly 1.75inch. That combined with a high restriction stock muffler and anything is an improvement. I love low end torque and adding a 2.5in pipe i feel is too large. I'd rather keep the power low inteh rpm range and i feel a 2in or 2.25in pipe would do the trick. I have my resonator removed and 2in pvc added to that so its getting more in just need t get it out. I plan on getting a dynomax super turbo muffler as they give off a Nice deep tone that doesn't resonate into the interior like most other mufflers and the fiberglass packing gives a deeper tone. maybe my age is showing in the fact i don't want something loud. I'll keep you posted after i have the 2in catback with 2in dynomax super turbo muffler installed. One important thing to remember is hot exhaust gas flows faster then cooler gases. Bigger isn't always better or you get the exhaust scavaging effect. Good luck.

scott

ps i do feel the case of a flowmaster is extrememly tough as far as banging off rocks as its been proven!

Scott

a Flowmaster 50series for $110 mail order... Hey "SLICK", you got a great deal at $85. WOW :o

2.25 pipe throughout

sly momma knows how to haggle. summit racing wanted $98 so i told nor cal. if they can beat that, they get my $$..... they beat it. :D they wanted my $$ ;)

Slick the tip of your exhaust pipe is under the truck instead of piped out on the side. :confused: Are you getting any exhaust gases inside the cab?

not really, on some days when the wind blows the right way when i first start her up some, yes. but other than that.. nope :D and no off road obstacles have managed to "attack" my exhaust system ;)

Guest SuperSon
I made some calls to some engineers at Nissan USA and according to them our cats are very low restriction. Apparently on the VG30E model, the cat is the same as the Z31 300ZX turbo.

seems like a waste of money to replace the cat with this high flow cat if the one we have on the pathy is still in great shape :shrug: