2001+ CEL

Saw some steps to flash CEL codes on the dash in another forum, poster said the steps worked for his 2002 Pathfinder. I have no idea if it works, and the flashing code example for 0158 doesn't match the MIL codes that would flash for a 97. But it would be interesting to hear if someone with a newer pathfinder could get this to work. Even without the CEL lit it should flash 0505 for no codes.

1) Foot completely off throttle. Turn ignition on (don't start). Wait 3 seconds.

2) Depress throttle to WOT seven times quickly within five seconds.

3) Wait seven seconds, foot completely off throttle.

4) Depress and hold throttle at WOT for ten seconds until CEL starts blinking.

5) Take foot completely off throttle.

The number of seconds is VERY critical. If it doesn't work at first, try it again.

The CEL will enter diagnostic mode and start flashing out the trouble code(s) in sequence. The first digit will always be the slow blink. Digits 2-4 will blink fast. There will be a short pause in between digits.

For example, ten slow blinks, one fast blink, five fast blinks, eight fast blinks is trouble code 0158.

To clear the trouble codes, depress the throttle at WOT for 10 seconds while in diagnostic mode. When cleared, the CEL will flash 0-0-0-0 (ten flashes each). Turn the ignition to off then restart and your CEL will be off.

Original Post: http://www.nissanforums.com/pathfinder/130...checklight.html

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw this out there... I may have actaully read about them here or already posted about them, but a Scanguage II is an excellent and cheap little tool for reading and clearing trouble codes, aswell as showing you engine data that your factory guages dont... I have mine displaying volts, intake air, coolant temp and economy generally. Ebay or scanguage.com

• 4 weeks later...

I tried this about 10 times with my 04 SE 2wd and couldn't get it to work. Hell, I even used a stopwatch!

I went to Advanced Auto Parts and they pulled the code for me, but couldn't reset it. It showed P0456, which the guy said was EVAP Monitor System - VERY SMALL LEAK.

Now, a few questions...what the hell is that?

Should I bother looking for the leak and trying to fix it?

How do I reset the light??

TIA.

• 8 months later...
I tried this about 10 times with my 04 SE 2wd and couldn't get it to work. Hell, I even used a stopwatch!

I went to Advanced Auto Parts and they pulled the code for me, but couldn't reset it. It showed P0456, which the guy said was EVAP Monitor System - VERY SMALL LEAK.

Now, a few questions...what the hell is that?

Should I bother looking for the leak and trying to fix it?

How do I reset the light??

TIA.

I am a service advisor for a Chevrolet dealership and the description of a small evap leak could be just a bad gas cap. We have several people everyday come in with CEL complaints. 9 times out of 10 its a evap leak and the gas cap isnt secured propperly. I would check to make sure the gas cap is tight and that it clicks when you tighten it. if the light dosent go out after 10-20 starts or about a week I would try replaceing the cap with a new OEM cap and see if that works. BTW do not use locking gas caps as they are not a sealed cap and will trigger an evap leak.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
I am a service advisor for a Chevrolet dealership and the description of a small evap leak could be just a bad gas cap. We have several people everyday come in with CEL complaints. 9 times out of 10 its a evap leak and the gas cap isnt secured propperly. I would check to make sure the gas cap is tight and that it clicks when you tighten it. if the light dosent go out after 10-20 starts or about a week I would try replaceing the cap with a new OEM cap and see if that works. BTW do not use locking gas caps as they are not a sealed cap and will trigger an evap leak.

Have that problem too. Had it scanned, the handheld type and the guy told me the code read emissions problem. Was told to get a Nissan gas cap instead of after market and that the light would go out after some 100 miles. It has not, CEL came back.... I can also smell gas at the left back end side.

Just had my car inspected so I guess no heavy emission leak...got a quote for $400 for this job. Was also told that if it is a valve job that it was not urgent-

Edited by pathproud

The most common things I see for EVAP small leak detected are 1.gas cap issue 2. rubber part of filler neck not installed correctly/tight 3. Fuel pump float assembly not seated correctly 4. rotted metal part of filler neck. Thats the problem with OBD II multipule things set off the same code, I wish I had a nickle for every good o2 sensor replaced because it had an o2 sensor code and a quick on the draw mechanic.

And is the gas petal thing supposed to flash the engine light or reset the change oil light on a gm? I can honestly say I have never heard of that one.

Edited by nunya