Backup Light Switch wires confused

Rusty4x4

This is a 92' SE pathy, FS5R30A MT. My back up lights are not working. The switch is OK. However the wireing of the backup light switch and the neutral sensor is just not matching with the service manual. It looks like that both switches are connected with a single wire to the harness while they are connected with each other with an other single wire. Meanwhile the neutral sensor gives 20 ohm regardless the shift position. Is this a normal or could be a fabrication of a previous owner of this car?

Rusty.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old question. I did however run into this question while diagnosing the reverse lights on my '89 se pathy manual. The switches described here are NOT the reverse switch. Though I am not quite sure exactly what they are I do know that they are about a foot or so too far down the transmission / x case. I think they might have to do with 4wd indicator lights? dunno.

The reverse switch itself is not easily seen even from under the truck. It is tucked up on top stick out straight towards the passenger side. I also has a different connector than these one wire switches on my 1989. It has a 'push-button' release, not a 'pry up' release.

-Rick

DarthValiant

This is a 92' SE pathy, FS5R30A MT. My back up lights are not working. The switch is OK. However the wireing of the backup light switch and the neutral sensor is just not matching with the service manual. It looks like that both switches are connected with a single wire to the harness while they are connected with each other with an other single wire. Meanwhile the neutral sensor gives 20 ohm regardless the shift position. Is this a normal or could be a fabrication of a previous owner of this car?

Rusty.

• 12 years later...
On 11/14/2008 at 7:55 AM, darthValiant said:

I know this is an old question. I did however run into this question while diagnosing the reverse lights on my '89 se pathy manual. The switches described here are NOT the reverse switch. Though I am not quite sure exactly what they are I do know that they are about a foot or so too far down the transmission / x case. I think they might have to do with 4wd indicator lights? dunno.

The reverse switch itself is not easily seen even from under the truck. It is tucked up on top stick out straight towards the passenger side. I also has a different connector than these one wire switches on my 1989. It has a 'push-button' release, not a 'pry up' release.

-Rick

DarthValiant

Hey darth you still around to help me with this? Today I pulled and re-loomed the 8 wire bundle these two one wire switches are part of, I think thats right they are for illuminating 4wd? Both of mine have the wire to the switches hanging on by barely a thread to one of the leads of the switches.

I'm confused why there is only one wire to each switch when the switches themselves have two separate leads/connection points on them? Is that right? How do you know which connection point is the right one?

I guess my 4x4 light doesn't work because it never has illuminated. How to I buy new leads/switches if I cant fix it myself? I checked my local auto shop and rockauto and the part doesn't seem to exist.

pic5.jpg